Springfield Hellcat Pro 9mm Reviews or Thoughts

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Springfield Hellcat Pro 9mm Reviews or Thoughts

Post by bignflnut »

Never purchased anything Springfield. My understanding is that they have a strong reputation with rifles.
Anyone have thoughts to share on the Hellcat Pro 9mm?

Or any of their pistols?
Or anything about the brand? Availability of parts? Customization? Customer Service?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Springfield Hellcat Pro 9mm Reviews or Thoughts

Post by JustaShooter »

Historically, their pistols do not have a reputation for reliability. Compared to Glock and S&W M&P they are definitely lower tier. I wouldn't expect that to change with their latest offerings, but only time will tell.

They have also suffered from design issues - most notably, the terrible design of the XD and XDM where you must depress the grip safety to manipulate the slide, and of course the XDS issue allowing the gun to fire when chambering a round and even doubling/tripling when fired (which was eventually fixed by a safety recall). I'm not aware of any issues with the Hellcat, but it took quite a while for the XDS issue to show up so it's hard to say if we are past the point where something like that is likely for the Hellcat.

Personally, if I were looking for a higher capacity micro-compact I'd probably lean toward a S&W M&P Shield Plus, or something in the Sig P365 line. But honestly, I don't feel like I need to go with something quite that small, I find the M&P 2.0 9C very concealable and easier to shoot well.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Thank you for that Justa
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

I have a Hellcat Pro and a Hellcat and haven't had issues with either so far, in the limited amount of shooting. I also have an XDS and had to send it in for the recall - that's the only issue I've personally ever had with any of my Springfield stuff. My EDC has been and XDm compact 3.8 for many years now and I never had an issue with it either. I probably only have a few hundred rounds through the Hellcats but I probably have about hundreds and hundreds through the XDm and I've never had an issue. YMMV.

I also have a Sig P365 SAS which has performed flawlessly as well, but I'd take my Hellcat over it.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

FormerNavy, I appreciate your input - thanks.