Kenwood City Center Mall - Cincinnati

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wls

Kenwood City Center Mall - Cincinnati

Post by wls »

In the past Kenwood was posted on door leading into the Mall, if you entered through one of the major stores (Macys, Dillards) there were no signs at those entrances. Now the entries in the mall common area from the major stores areas have large ghost buster signs with “no weapons”. They’re making it very clear guns aren’t welcome, although we knew that already. Guess the Greenwood Indiana mall shooting won’t open their eyes that good people carrying guns aren’t the problem and sometimes even the solution to a shooter issue.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Kenwood City Center Mall - Cincinnati

Post by schmieg »

wls wrote:In the past Kenwood was posted on door leading into the Mall, if you entered through one of the major stores (Macys, Dillards) there were no signs at those entrances. Now the entries in the mall common area from the major stores areas have large ghost buster signs with “no weapons”. They’re making it very clear guns aren’t welcome, although we knew that already. Guess the Greenwood Indiana mall shooting won’t open their eyes that good people carrying guns aren’t the problem and sometimes even the solution to a shooter issue.
That mall is about three miles from my home and there is a reason that I haven't been there in quite a few years.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I try to get in a decent walk about every day. Sometimes lousy weather forces me indoors. Kenwood is set up for walking. I've only broken down twice in five years and used the place. Certainly won't spend money there.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

I haven't been in there in... a decade? Something like that, anyway.
It's just under two miles for me.

Before they posted it was sometimes an enjoyable place to wander and window shop. Oh, well, their loss.
513resident

Post by 513resident »

Brian D. wrote:I try to get in a decent walk about every day. Sometimes lousy weather forces me indoors. Kenwood is set up for walking. I've only broken down twice in five years and used the place. Certainly won't spend money there.
LOL I was just there today. Have been mall-walking because I need exercise and it's just been too hot and humid lately for outdoors walking. I stopped and photographed their no guns sign today. Aside from the usual circle slash symbol it reads as follows: "This private property is monitored by security officers and other security features including firearm detecting dogs."

Firearm detecting dogs? Yeah right! :lol:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

513resident wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I try to get in a decent walk about every day. Sometimes lousy weather forces me indoors. Kenwood is set up for walking. I've only broken down twice in five years and used the place. Certainly won't spend money there.
LOL I was just there today. Have been mall-walking because I need exercise and it's just been too hot and humid lately for outdoors walking. I stopped and photographed their no guns sign today. Aside from the usual circle slash symbol it reads as follows: "This private property is monitored by security officers and other security features including firearm detecting dogs."

Firearm detecting dogs? Yeah right! :lol:
They are trained to smell the Hoppes.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
513resident

Post by 513resident »

schmieg wrote:They are trained to smell the Hoppes.
New Hoppes or old? I've been told that Hoppes changed the formula recently and that it no longer smells like bananas. :wink:
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Haven't been in 20+ years....but my classmates and I took a bus to the mall to watch a movie.

Little did we know that the bus would no longer be running at 11PM when the movie was over.

We rode back to UC in a street sweeper (driver, myself and two others...he was sweeping the empty parking lot). God Bless that dude.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

(Note, it's Kenwood Towne Center, not City Center Mall)

I've made it a point to avoid the mall since they posted, even though I live only a little more than a mile away.
But Macy's had a great Independence Day sale on towels, and we really needed some, so...

I disarmed and we went, Mrs. Doc and me.
We parked in the garage closest to Macy's so we could park in the shade, and so we used the Macy's exterior door.

To my surprise I found those doors are NOT posted! I could have carried!
I made a point while we were there to check the mall entrance and about ten feet inside the mall is a floor sign with a big "Firearms ar prohibited" sign. Very large print, pretty unmistakable.

My interpretation of this is that Macy's believes in us, but the mall does not.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

That sort of inconsistent signage has been reported in these forums many times since the beginning of licensed concealed carry in Ohio. Anchor store doors not posted with "no guns" signage, but entrances to the common areas are.

I've observed similar inconsistencies at large hospital/medical office complexes. How you choose to deal with that is up to you.

********************************************************************************
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

The previous reports I had read about Kenwood were:
- first just the mall had the text of "no guns" embedded in their rules near the entrance.
- then they posted the mall doors, but the anchor store were not, so yeah, you could slip in if you eaither honestly missed the main door sign or "wink, wink, nudge nudge" decided to slip past them.
- lastly it was reported the mall had caught up and posted ALL doors, mall doors as well as anchors. I can attest to that, as I took the time to check all the anchors.

So this NOT posted status of Macy's is a change, and a good one, I think.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Was Kenwood the one that had a gun(powder) sniffing dog roaming around with Security?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

FormerNavy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:22 pm Was Kenwood the one that had a gun(powder) sniffing dog roaming around with Security?
Yes, allegedly. Easy enough to test with a little bit of smokeless powder or a couple rounds of loose ammo in your pocket.

Personally I think that story is Bravo Sierra.