Legal question about a felon living with me

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rottman43055

Legal question about a felon living with me

Post by rottman43055 »

I have a family member who will be released from prison pretty soon who will not be allowed control or seemingly even access to guns.

I'm going to allow him to live with me temporarily until he gets his feet on the ground.

My question is if I lock my firearms up in my safe which he does not have the combination to, would that be legally sufficient to keep him and myself out of legal trouble?

If not my only other option is to move them to an undisclosed location which I don't want to do. I'm all he has at this point.

Thanks
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Legal question about a felon living with me

Post by JustaShooter »

My understanding is that as long as he does not have access, that is fine - and it sounds to me like your approach would achieve that. That's assuming he isn't released under parole, and the terms of his parole state otherwise. And, as always, I am not a lawyer, and this should not be taken as legal advice.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

JustaShooter wrote:My understanding is that as long as he does not have access, that is fine - and it sounds to me like your approach would achieve that. That's assuming he isn't released under parole, and the terms of his parole state otherwise. And, as always, I am not a lawyer, and this should not be taken as legal advice.
Thanks, I know he will serve his full 5 year sentence, then when released will be on some sort of supervision for 3 years. I'm not up on the details of how all that works and it will not take him long to get a job and his own place I'm just hoping to not have to relocate all my stuff while he is here.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

OK, Update:

My son will be on parole for 3 years. As stated in the opening post he will be coming to live with me for a short period of time.

His parole officer had to visit and approve him being here. I will do whatever it takes to help him succeed and all he wants is to get out, get back into his field of work and put the last five years behind him.

Here is what his parole officer said:

As long as he lives here, there can be ZERO guns in the home ( 2 br apt. actually), I have to clean out my safe ( which is a Sports afield Denali 32 gun or something like that), get rid of all ammo, get rid of all archery. Can not have one holstered on me personally or anywhere in the dwelling. If one is found here, he will be arrested and charged with a felony. And searches can be at anytime.

As to the safe he said he could potentially break into it, as for me having one he could steal it off of me etc.

My thinking is breaking into my safe or stealing it off me would be a felony.

Some good news is he said knives are okay as long as he isn't walking around with a katana sword.

I find it hard to believe I have to give up 100% of my 2A rights during his stay here.
Helen Keller

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Thanks for the update. Yes, as I feared, he is being released under parole which has much more strict conditions. But, it is in place of serving a full sentence, so there is significant benefit for meeting those conditions.

Unfortunately, that does cause problems for you. I think their reasoning is pretty flimsy, but as the parole officer they have far more power than many understand, and on their word the parolee can be put back in prison - with added charges no less.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

JustaShooter wrote:Thanks for the update. Yes, as I feared, he is being released under parole which has much more strict conditions. But, it is in place of serving a full sentence, so there is significant benefit for meeting those conditions.

Unfortunately, that does cause problems for you. I think their reasoning is pretty flimsy, but as the parole officer they have far more power than many understand, and on their word the parolee can be put back in prison - with added charges no less.
Thank you for the info it's much appreciated.
Helen Keller