Accident report, small department, had to notify

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Accident report, small department, had to notify

Post by evan price »

I recently was involved in a multi vehicle traffic accident. I was driving a privately owned diesel dually pulling a trailer with a skid loader. I passed into an intersection just as the light turned yellow. The other driver was turning left through the intersection trying to beat the yellow light. He said he didn't see the trailer with the skid loader and turned left right behind the truck and into the side of the trailer. I don't have any idea how he couldn't see a tandem axle 24' trailer with a Bobcat 853 on it but ok.
So we pull into a lot, I help the guy pick up the pieces of his Ford Focus. Two officers from the small town pull up. I'm sitting in my truck. First thing they come to me. There's a young officer and an older officer, it's guess 20 years apart.
First words out of my mouth were "Hi officers, I'm required to notify you both I have a concealed carry license and I have a gun in the truck."
Young officer steps back, half draws his sidearm and looks to the older officer.
Older officer walk over and says "OK." Then noticed the younger officer and puts his hand on his gun and turns back to me "everything ok sir?"
I had both hands out the door already so I just said "Yes, I'm fine, look the law requires me to notify promptly and that's why I said that."
The younger cop says he'll cover while he takes me out of the truck.
The older cop gets this exasperated eye roll expression on his face, "he's a concealed carrier, there's no problem."
The younger guy apologized and said he's never had someone who just announced they have a gun as the first thing they say before even saying Hello.
I told them the law says promptly and there was a case where a guy was arrested for waiting less than a minute.
After that things were fine.
Other guy got cited.
I changed my flat tire and went on.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Accident report, small department, had to notify

Post by 502ci »

This happened this Monday?
If so you don't have to notify anymore, and this is one good reason why.
Nothing to see here...move along.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I may still notify for a while. Police aren't particularly known for keeping up to date with changes to the ORC. I don't know why, probably a variety of reasons (excuses, really) from one agency to the next.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

502ci wrote:This happened this Monday?
If so you don't have to notify anymore, and this is one good reason why.
No this was a few weeks ago
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
docachna

Post by docachna »

If I were still in the Buckeye, I would rely on the cops knowing about the change. If I run onto one that does not, and things deteriorate, I would have a paper copy of a very clear and concise article in my car, setting out the fact that the notification requirement has been repealed, and particularly the effective date.

Happy to be down here in Tennessee, where notification has never been a thing.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Shouldn't they be teaching this stuff at the academy? They expect (or used to before the law change) to know this stuff but not the police?