Ohio HB 99 allegedly passed the Senate

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Ohio HB 99 allegedly passed the Senate

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/dayton- ... TXUZZ5WUM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.whio.com/news/local/ohio-se ... CG7OXYO3M/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article said opponents outnumbered supporters in testimony, but then again gun control advocates and teachers union probably have people who can testify on a moments notice. This bill seemed to move very fast through the house and Senate.
The City of Dayton opposes it because they don't want it but it's optional for them, so what they are REALLY saying is if you are part of some other school district we don't want you to make the choice for yourself. :roll:
Brian D.

Re: Ohio HB 99 allegedly passed the Senate

Post by Brian D. »

The original required hours of training were over the top, and the people who wrote it that way had to know it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

The original required hours of training were over the top, and the people who wrote it that way had to know it.
Probably same legislateurs that screamed the sky WILL fall at 10:02am, due to...no front license plate :shock: .

10:02am sharp; not :01 or, :03 :P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

And the House agreed to the Senate changes so it moves to the Governor's office for his signature now.

Schools will again have the option to implement enhanced school safety plans.

JLE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

And I bet the big city school districts will never allow this. Plus, they'll spend tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars to fight this new law .

********************************************************************************
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JEaton wrote:And the House agreed to the Senate changes so it moves to the Governor's office for his signature now.

Schools will again have the option to implement enhanced school safety plans.

JLE
What I'm wondering though is how long they will have the option again this time. Is this new legislation written in a way that it is going to survive another Ohio Supreme Court challenge?

WHIO TV had some confusing reporting on the bill. On the one hand they said the maximum amount of training could not exceed 24 hours initially and 8 hrs each year, but OTOH it said school districts could require more training than the maximum. :?: Perhaps that is the part that will help it pass muster with the courts?

One more question if anyone knows, with the current OPOTA hours required for LE in Ohio being allegedly 750 hours now, what % or how many hours approx. is any actual firearms training?
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:And I bet the big city school districts will never allow this. Plus, they'll spend tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars to fight this new law .
Someone on my end of the computer commented the other day about this issue in your first sentence that the parents in those big cities that care about their kids safety should elect school board members who think like they do.
As far as the 2nd sentence, I'm willing to be they will, even though the law doesn't affect them at all if they don't want it. The problem for them is not just that they don't want it, they want to tell the parents in my local school district that you're not allowed to decide for yourselves whether you want it not. :roll:
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

M-Quigley wrote: What I'm wondering though is how long they will have the option again this time. Is this new legislation written in a way that it is going to survive another Ohio Supreme Court challenge?

WHIO TV had some confusing reporting on the bill. On the one hand they said the maximum amount of training could not exceed 24 hours initially and 8 hrs each year, but OTOH it said school districts could require more training than the maximum. :?: Perhaps that is the part that will help it pass muster with the courts?

One more question if anyone knows, with the current OPOTA hours required for LE in Ohio being allegedly 750 hours now, what % or how many hours approx. is any actual firearms training?
1) HB99 clearly defines what is required to authorize a school employee to carry a firearm in a school. They may attack another way but the previous 'confusion' between the ORC-2923.122 and ORC-109.78 has been corrected

2) The bill does state that the new Ohio School Safety and Crisis Center will develop curriculum not to exceed 24 initial training and not to exceed 8 hours recurring in following year. They do specify several topic that must be covered in the training. Schools can submit their own alternate curriculum to the Dept. Public Safety to be approved as an alternative to the state program and HB99 specifically says schools can require on their own more then the 'not to exceed' hours if they choose to.

3) Current OPOTA training required 60 hours firearms (pistol/rifle/shotgun) during the academy. Then no more training is required. They have to hit 20 out of 25 shots annually to stay qualified

We have a FAQ started here with more answers: https://fastersaveslives.org/hb99-frequ ... questions/

JLE
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

And the FASTER program requires 25 out of an expanded 28 shots to pass the course. Not easy at all.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote: One more question if anyone knows, with the current OPOTA hours required for LE in Ohio being allegedly 750 hours now, what % or how many hours approx. is any actual firearms training?
According to that Faster Saves Lives FAQ that JEaton (I call him Joe :mrgreen: ) posted, initial OPOTA firearms training is sixty hours. Then no further training is required, just a shooting requalification every year. So it's 60 hours over an entire LE career.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
M-Quigley wrote: One more question if anyone knows, with the current OPOTA hours required for LE in Ohio being allegedly 750 hours now, what % or how many hours approx. is any actual firearms training?
According to that Faster Saves Lives FAQ that JEaton (I call him Joe :mrgreen: ) posted, initial OPOTA firearms training is sixty hours. Then no further training is required, just a shooting requalification every year. So it's 60 hours over an entire LE career.
I believe the 750 hours being thrown around is total training, not just firearms training.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

You're correct JustaShooter.

JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Current Ohio Police Academy hours breakdown

Administration 43 hours
Legal 110 hours
Human Relations 77 hour
Firearms 60 hours
Driving 24 hours
Subject Control Techniques 78 hours
First Aid/CPR/AED 16 hours
Patrol 69 hours
Civil Disorders 8 hours
Traffic 125 hours
Investigation 52 hours
Physical Conditioning 44 hours
Homeland Security 22 hours

JLE
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

JEaton wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
3) Current OPOTA training required 60 hours firearms (pistol/rifle/shotgun) during the academy. Then no more training is required. They have to hit 20 out of 25 shots annually to stay qualified
JLE
To clarify - rifle is not covered in the 60 hours. Basic Academy Firearms is only pistol/shotgun and 46 of the 60 hours have to be on the range. Cadets, at a minimum, must fire at least 750 pistol rounds, 20 slugs and 75 shot shells. Those are state mandated minimums. If an Academy includes rifle, it is considered “non-OPOTA” time and is not included in the 740 hours of the state mandated curriculum. Since it is not mandatory, the individual academies are allowed to use whatever curriculum/round count they want.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog