What's the current state of Ohio in-car long guns with CHL?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

williaty

What's the current state of Ohio in-car long guns with CHL?

Post by williaty »

Over the years, it's gotten tough for me to remember the details for corners of the law that I don't have to deal with very often. I know that the base law in Ohio says no loaded long guns in a car. I feel like I remember a change a years ago that allowed CHL holders to have loaded (but not chambered? loaded mags in the same bag/case but not put into the gun? can't remember) long guns in a car and everyone on this forum was kinda surprised to see it because it hadn't been pushed for. Problem is, I don't remember the details and I don't remember if this was just a proposed amendment to that sessions' bill or if it actually was signed into law. So

1) Does anyone remember this change or am I melding together different ideas?

2) Did this become law?

3) What is the current law on loaded/unloaded long guns in a car in Ohio when you have a CHL?

Thanks guys.
amishjeff

Re: What's the current state of Ohio in-car long guns with C

Post by amishjeff »

Although Senate Bill 17 is most widely known for allowing “concealed carry” in restaurants and bars, it also changes much of the law regulating the transport of firearms in a vehicle. Previously, a loaded firearm could only be transported in a vehicle if it was contained in a holster or a locked box, or was in plain sight. Senate Bill 17 lifted those requirements. Now, assuming you are properly licensed, you are allowed to transport a concealed, loaded firearm in a vehicle you are driving or riding in as a passenger without these restrictions.

Long guns must be in enclosed carriers, in the open WITH the chamber open, in the open in a mount of some sort (ie. truck back window rack, etc).
williaty

Post by williaty »

Wow, it took a lot of beating on google to make it cough this up! https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/hb495-d ... statehouse HB495 in 2013 is the change that I vaguely remembered.

Relevant section:
For someone with a CHL, they may have a loaded magazine in the vehicle anyway they wish, so long as any magazine for a non-handgun is not inserted into the non-handgun. (i.e. a loaded rifle magazine may be anywhere in the vehicle as long as it isn’t inserted into the rifle.)
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

williaty wrote:Wow, it took a lot of beating on google to make it cough this up! https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/hb495-d ... statehouse HB495 in 2013 is the change that I vaguely remembered.

Relevant section:
For someone with a CHL, they may have a loaded magazine in the vehicle anyway they wish, so long as any magazine for a non-handgun is not inserted into the non-handgun. (i.e. a loaded rifle magazine may be anywhere in the vehicle as long as it isn’t inserted into the rifle.)

Not that it matters to TOO many people but this also applies to belted ammunition and IMHO by a stretch could apply to stripper clips and enbloc clips like the M1 Garand uses.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).