Eligibility question

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cmnoodms

Eligibility question

Post by Cmnoodms »

I have no criminal record. I do have medical records indicating some mental illness/alcohol use disorder but I am not legally disabled and have had no charges or court orders to relate to this (with exception to getting pink slipped many years back due to suicidal ideation but was only in for 72 hour hold).

Since there is no way to check my own eligibility in advance I wanted to see what the consensus is - will I be denied? If so would I have a chance on appeal? Should I bother to apply?

Thanks for any input!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Eligibility question

Post by JustaShooter »

Here's the relevant section of Ohio law, from ORC 2923.125 (D)
(i) The applicant has not been adjudicated as a mental defective, has not been committed to any mental institution, is not under adjudication of mental incompetence, has not been found by a court to be a mentally ill person subject to court order, and is not an involuntary patient other than one who is a patient only for purposes of observation. As used in this division, "mentally ill person subject to court order" and "patient" have the same meanings as in section 5122.01 of the Revised Code.
https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-cod ... n-2923.125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not positive how your history fits in with the restrictions here, but I *think* you are eligible. Your hold was involuntary, but sounds like it was only for observation, not treatment, and although you have received medical treatment, you have not been adjudicated as mentally defective or incompetent from what I can tell.

I don't know of any way to tell for sure other than talking with a CHL clerk at a sheriff's office, and that's not going to be easy to do - most don't take or return calls from what I can tell. Your best bet may be to just spend the $67 and apply and see how it goes.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!