Denied your Ohio CHL? Read this

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ShawnK1017

Denied your Ohio CHL? Read this

Post by ShawnK1017 »

If you have ever been denied an Ohio CHL please send me a pm. I'm specifically looking for people who have been denied their CHL even though they can legally own and possess firearms. I know a couple of guys who are exploring the possibility of a class action suit against the state based off of these types of denials. As I'm sure alot of you already know, the criteria for getting a CHL is contradictory to our law on weapons disabilities. This is especially scary since this same criteria was amended to sb215.
I'm not going to rant and get into specifics, but the average person is obviously going to think if they passed their NICS check and they legally own their firearm that they can carry under the new law and that will not always be the case, most times yes, but not always. Wether sb215 gets signed or not, I believe enough people have been denied wrongly where a Class Action suit just may be possible with enough people on board. One of the guys specifically had a full rights restoration done and still got denied! In any case I feel that if we band together we can finally change these ridiculous policies, I find it down right scary that they are applying criteria that goes far beyond NICS criteria to a Constitutional Carry law.
Another issue is our sheriffs have too much leeway in how they interpret these laws, as was pointed out to me on this forum, the application asks about specific ORC codes yet certain sheriffs (cough, Jerry Greene, cough cough) will apply whatever municipal or other codes they please to certain sections. This makes some counties "may issue" effectively. One of the potential plantiffs was denied even though he met the criteria, the sheriff didn't like him and used this ability to "interpret" to his advantage.
I don't have standing myself as I've never actually been denied an Ohio CHL, I'm just gathering information and connecting people. If this has happened to you and you'd like to regain a right you never lost to begin with please get in contact with me.