How much crud do I need/want to carry?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Klingon00

Re: How much crud do I need/want to carry?

Post by Klingon00 »

evan price wrote:I've tried to minimize because I can't stand heavy jingling pockets.
I don't carry change as a normal thing.

Victorinox Tinker swiss army knife
Fenix SP1 flashlight
Kershaw Scallion folder in black
NAA mini magnum
Pocket handkerchief
Phone.

Vehicle stores 9mm handgun with spare mag, 12-g pump shotgun with ammo, plenty of tools, lighters, tow rope, zip ties, first aid kit, spare AA batteries.
I'm disappointed you don't still keep a tactical fire extinguisher for dealing with sandwich threatening, insistent hitchhiking tweakers. :lol:
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I'm disappointed you don't still keep a tactical fire extinguisher for dealing with sandwich threatening, insistent hitchhiking tweakers. :lol:
Hey that's in the truck. I don't pocket carry that!
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Why keep a long gun with ammo in a vehicle, along with a larger caliber handgun in the vehicle as well? If the service 9mm sized gun is more appropriate than a single action 22 mini revolver, wouldn't it be better served to keep that on your person and leave no firearms in a vehicle that could be stolen during a break in?

Wy does that system work better for you than another combination?
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

jeep45238 wrote:Why keep a long gun with ammo in a vehicle, along with a larger caliber handgun in the vehicle as well? If the service 9mm sized gun is more appropriate than a single action 22 mini revolver, wouldn't it be better served to keep that on your person and leave no firearms in a vehicle that could be stolen during a break in?

I am often in places where being ccw is not allowed either by a workplace rule or custom. In those cars I find deep concealment can only be sustained by a very small ccw. This is the NAA 22 mini mag. However once in no longer in those circumstances I can then carry the 9mm.
My usual carry is a S&W model 38 Bodyguard revolver.
I started carrying the 12g pump during the unrest in 2020. I'm not Batman. But if its time to leave, I'm leaving. I've got enough beater mossberg pumps.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

evan price wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:Why keep a long gun with ammo in a vehicle, along with a larger caliber handgun in the vehicle as well? If the service 9mm sized gun is more appropriate than a single action 22 mini revolver, wouldn't it be better served to keep that on your person and leave no firearms in a vehicle that could be stolen during a break in?

I am often in places where being ccw is not allowed either by a workplace rule or custom. In those cars I find deep concealment can only be sustained by a very small ccw. This is the NAA 22 mini mag. However once in no longer in those circumstances I can then carry the 9mm.
My usual carry is a S&W model 38 Bodyguard revolver.
I started carrying the 12g pump during the unrest in 2020. I'm not Batman. But if its time to leave, I'm leaving. I've got enough beater mossberg pumps.
Have you worked through probable situations to access deficiencies and alternatives to them (ie - exiting the vehicle to access a long gun)? The time to get POM spray into action vs. a NAA revolver, for example?

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

There are few firearms you can successfully conceal carry at a water park. I think the NAA mini covered in a zip-loc bag inside trunks being the only one I've ever heard of being a thing.

The NAA mini is one firearm I would feel barely armed when carrying though. Probably beats being disarmed when you really need it but I would personally try to find any other solution before I resorted to it, I think. Still, if push came to shove, I'd be glad to have something, perhaps.

I wonder, how does it compare for size and weight against something like an LC380?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Klingon00 wrote:I wonder, how does [a NAA mini] compare for size and weight against something like an LC380?
The LC380 is pretty large in comparison - remember, it is a 380 on a 9mm frame. The original LCP or LCPII on the other hand is pretty small but the NAA is still a lot smaller and lighter (4.6oz vs 9.6oz). Still, I'd be more inclined to try to find a way to carry the LCP, personally. YMMV.
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/rug ... -arms-22lr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

JustaShooter wrote:The original LCP or LCPII on the other hand is pretty small but the NAA is still a lot smaller and lighter (4.6oz vs 9.6oz). Still, I'd be more inclined to try to find a way to carry the LCP, personally. YMMV.
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/rug ... -arms-22lr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ahh, yes the LCP is what I was thinking of. Interesting to see that it isn't that much larger. Now that's got me thinking... :idea:
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Klingon00 wrote:There are few firearms you can successfully conceal carry at a water park. I think the NAA mini covered in a zip-loc bag inside trunks being the only one I've ever heard of being a thing.

The NAA mini is one firearm I would feel barely armed when carrying though. Probably beats being disarmed when you really need it but I would personally try to find any other solution before I resorted to it, I think. Still, if push came to shove, I'd be glad to have something, perhaps.

I wonder, how does it compare for size and weight against something like an LC380?
I used to have a NAA 1 inch barrel 22lr stainless revolver. It made even a fie titan .25 semi auto (similar to a colt cub and smaller than a LC380 or even a LCP) look huge by comparison. I didn't buy it as a CCW weapon, just as a novelty, the worlds smallest production handgun at the time, for my collection. Putting it into action merely involved cocking the hammer, could be done easily while bringing the gun up to target, like any cowboy type SA handgun. The problem was I had to grip and aim it a special way just to get it to make head shots at 3-4 yards, and if you're using any .22lr or .25 handgun head shots are to me more important than torso shots. I've heard laser sights help but IDK what they do to the conceal ability. Some people put big grips on them but to me that defeats the purpose of being able to conceal it practically anywhere. Back decades ago I read an alleged account of a detective who offered himself as an additional or exchange hostage to a hostage taker. the criminal searched the detective but didn't' find a weapon. At some point in the hostage taking the guy let his guard down and the detective pulled out his mini revolver from whereever he had it concealed and with one shot to the head ended the hostage situation.

Speaking of concealing it practically anywhere, :roll:

Warning the news station video, while funny, might not be safe for work, IDK, The anchors reaction and comments are interesting though. :lol:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/woman ... into-jail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Head shots with a .22 are especially lethal as the round usually doesn't have the power to exit the skull and it bounces around inside.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
GWC

Post by GWC »

Hi folks, Long time, no posts.

I retired recently and have started rethinking my every day carry routine. I used to carry of compact Sig and two magazines, plus an old S&W model 38 Airweight.
P228 for years, then a P320 compact. The 320 made things much lighter, and I found I could shoot it extremely well, especially after I got the frame module that fit my small hands.

I got a P365 when they became available and found that I could shoot it as well as any full-size gun, so I carried it with a 12 round mag and two spares, upping the spares to 15 rounds once they became available. Eventually moving to an LCR 9mm for back-up.

Always carried a light or two and at least one folding single blade knife. Sometimes I also carried OC spray. I could never carry at work, but left the guns in my car. When things got hairy, I usually had a backpack in the car with other guns and ammo, and sometimes a level IIIa vest. If I had to walk home I could do it, but it would take a few hours.

I live in a rural/exurban township and I don't go much of anywhere since retiring in the Age Of Rona, but at least now I do not have to disarm to go to work.

It seems to me that one ten round mag in the P365 is more than sufficient most of the time, sometimes I'll add the LCR if I go for an extended hike with my dog. one or two knives for utility use and a cheap light for the same.

It's good that I can be armed anywhere I go now, but I have downsized my load considerably. The P365 is very reliable, and It is very rare that go into an urban area. I can always carry more if I do.

I need to come up with a good OC solution that is small and quick to deploy. I am more likely to encounter a dog or black bear than two legged varmint.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

GWC wrote:Hi folks, Long time, no posts.

I retired recently and have started rethinking my every day carry routine. I used to carry of compact Sig and two magazines, plus an old S&W model 38 Airweight.
P228 for years, then a P320 compact. The 320 made things much lighter, and I found I could shoot it extremely well, especially after I got the frame module that fit my small hands.

I got a P365 when they became available and found that I could shoot it as well as any full-size gun, so I carried it with a 12 round mag and two spares, upping the spares to 15 rounds once they became available. Eventually moving to an LCR 9mm for back-up.

Always carried a light or two and at least one folding single blade knife. Sometimes I also carried OC spray. I could never carry at work, but left the guns in my car. When things got hairy, I usually had a backpack in the car with other guns and ammo, and sometimes a level IIIa vest. If I had to walk home I could do it, but it would take a few hours.

I live in a rural/exurban township and I don't go much of anywhere since retiring in the Age Of Rona, but at least now I do not have to disarm to go to work.

It seems to me that one ten round mag in the P365 is more than sufficient most of the time, sometimes I'll add the LCR if I go for an extended hike with my dog. one or two knives for utility use and a cheap light for the same.

It's good that I can be armed anywhere I go now, but I have downsized my load considerably. The P365 is very reliable, and It is very rare that go into an urban area. I can always carry more if I do.

I need to come up with a good OC solution that is small and quick to deploy. I am more likely to encounter a dog or black bear than two legged varmint.

What about swapping one of the spare mags for POM pepper spray? Are both spare mags actually needed given the reliability and rarity of urban experience you mention?

-Important distinction
GWC

Post by GWC »

I don't carry the spare mags usually anymore, just the P365 with one 10 rounder and one in the pipe. Sometimes I also carry the LCR as a "New York Reload" instead of the mags.

If I venture into Cuyahoga County I Might bring one or two spare mags, But i almost never go there anymore. I prefer my rural/semi-rural paradise instead.

Pom may be a good option, I haven't tried it yet.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

M-Quigley wrote:[

Warning the news station video, while funny, might not be safe for work, IDK, The anchors reaction and comments are interesting though. :lol:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/woman ... into-jail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In case anyone is looking for a caboose pistol :wink: It looks like the NAA now has a competitor, albeit quite a bit larger. I wonder if this would be any easier to deploy and reload under fire?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/range ... -revolver/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Standard Manufacturing’s new Switch-Gun is a folding, pocketable 5-shot revolver that deploys like an auto knife and is designed to make it packable, portable and affordable. Something you won’t have a problem slipping in your pocket as you head out the door.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Klingon00 wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:[

In case anyone is looking for a caboose pistol :wink: It looks like the NAA now has a competitor, albeit quite a bit larger. I wonder if this would be any easier to deploy and reload under fire?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/range ... -revolver/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Standard Manufacturing’s new Switch-Gun is a folding, pocketable 5-shot revolver that deploys like an auto knife and is designed to make it packable, portable and affordable. Something you won’t have a problem slipping in your pocket as you head out the door.

I really don't see the attraction to these guns, given then likely chance of success via ballistics, shot placement, the time it takes to get them in action, etc. - when a literal can of POM pepper spray is more effective than any of that while still being able to legally go where you can't go with a gun, along with being able to use them MUCH earlier on in an encounter.

-Important distinction