Converting Florida CCW permit to Ohio

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ColPaul

Converting Florida CCW permit to Ohio

Post by ColPaul »

I am about to retire from the military and have settled here in Ohio. I have a valid Florida CCW license, but want to get an Ohio CCW license. Can I use my Florida CCW license as proof of firearms training or do I still need to take the class. My DD-214 will NOT list any firearms training. I found the online course at https://www.ccwohio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the range in Waynesville is close by, but I'd like to avoid the $70 for training if it is not required (used that money for reloading supplies!).
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Converting Florida CCW permit to Ohio

Post by JustaShooter »

The FL license likely does not qualify as proof of training for an Ohio license - especially, if it is over 3 years old. Still, worth a call to your SO and the bordering county SOs to see if it, or your DD214 is sufficient for proof of training. In any case, the DD214 will allow you to skip the license fee, so there's that.

As far as training goes, I'd recommend taking a good in-person class regardless. Find an instructor who spends time covering legal and practical aspects of carrying in Ohio. I think that instruction is well worth the cost.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and let us know how it goes.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!