Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun violence

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun violence

Post by Bruenor »

Heaven forbid you arrest them, criminally charge them, and then seize their assets. Nah don't want to incarcerate anyone, we'll just sue them in civil court.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-gun- ... shed-gangs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"As a city we are using every tool to push back against the gangs that are leaving a trail of blood, death and misery in their wake," Lightfoot said, according to the report. If successful in their legal efforts, the city could thwart gangs’ activities by seizing property, such as weapons, money and vehicles.

"What we are proposing is a tool in civil courts that gives us the opportunity to go after those gangs that are wreaking havoc," Lightfoot reportedly said, "and in particular, take away the profit motive from them by seizing assets that they have been able to purchase because of their violent activity in our neighborhoods."

what will they think of next. :roll:
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
FormerNavy

Re: Chicago to sue gangs and seize assets to reduce gun viol

Post by FormerNavy »

Bruenor wrote:Heaven forbid you arrest them, criminally charge them, and then seize their assets. Nah don't want to incarcerate anyone, we'll just sue them in civil court.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-gun- ... shed-gangs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"As a city we are using every tool to push back against the gangs that are leaving a trail of blood, death and misery in their wake," Lightfoot said, according to the report. If successful in their legal efforts, the city could thwart gangs’ activities by seizing property, such as weapons, money and vehicles.

"What we are proposing is a tool in civil courts that gives us the opportunity to go after those gangs that are wreaking havoc," Lightfoot reportedly said, "and in particular, take away the profit motive from them by seizing assets that they have been able to purchase because of their violent activity in our neighborhoods."

Admittedly I didn't read the story... and whether you agree with it or not, I thought they could seize stuff right now if used in conjunction with criminal activity??
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Apparently, Beetlejuice wants to try everything that wont work, before trying anything that does.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

FormerNavy wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Heaven forbid you arrest them, criminally charge them, and then seize their assets. Nah don't want to incarcerate anyone, we'll just sue them in civil court.

Admittedly I didn't read the story... and whether you agree with it or not, I thought they could seize stuff right now if used in conjunction with criminal activity??
I do believe they can seize any assets that were obtained from criminal means, or the profits from selling drugs, etc.. but then you have to charge them with the offense, and prosecute them.. she seems to want to skip that part. so leave the criminals on the streets, but take their assets.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

EricTheBald wrote:Apparently, Beetlejuice wants to try everything that wont work, before trying anything that does.
Oh No you didn't.. LOL
That isn't far off at all.
More related to the topic at hand, this gives the added fluff to throw into a press release to paint the narrative that they are trying to do something.. Something to fill the echo chamber.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Perhaps they are attempting an end run around their own revolving door legal system :P . Charge dude, he gets out on .0000005% bail and disappears. So when you DO locate him, again & again and, again again, don't run him through that system just take his stuff. His stuff is more a stationary target I suppose.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

The IRS could have rolled the gangs up decades ago, the way they got Capone.

But then they'd have to WANT to, and have cooperation from the cravenly corrupt city "government" and police.

Both of those institutions are HEAVILY compromised by the gangs.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

deanimator wrote:The IRS could have rolled the gangs up decades ago, the way they got Capone.

But then they'd have to WANT to, and have cooperation from the cravenly corrupt city "government" and police.

Gang's make millions,... city hall and the cops MAY get a cut of those millions.
Just sayin. :? :?: It is Chicago.
Black Rifles Matter
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:
deanimator wrote:The IRS could have rolled the gangs up decades ago, the way they got Capone.

Gang's make millions,... city hall and the cops MAY get a cut of those millions.
Just sayin. :? :?: It is Chicago.
MAY???

It's a documented fact that aldermen use gang members in their "get out the vote" efforts. Chicago cops have been caught supplying gang members with information and even duffle bags full of ammunition.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Surprised they didn't just skip the trial and go straight to "civil" forfeiture.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Railroad cop friend told me guns got stolen right off trains in the Chicago yards. Somehow they knew exactly where the guns were, when to break into the property, and the local cops somehow never caught anybody.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Brian D. wrote:Railroad cop friend told me guns got stolen right off trains in the Chicago yards. Somehow they knew exactly where the guns were, when to break into the property, and the local cops somehow never caught anybody.
I wonder what would happen if the BATFE went after the Chicago PD and started getting search warrants for their homes...
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I doubt BATFE under the current administration would make any effort to crack that but.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

EricTheBald wrote:Apparently, Beetlejuice wants to try everything that wont work, before trying anything that does.

I think you are only half right. The never will try anything that works, they might end up arresting themselves and friends.

There is too much support for the criminals in Chicago.

Ken
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

OhioPaints wrote:

I think you are only half right. The never will try anything that works, they might end up arresting themselves and friends.

There is too much support for the criminals in Chicago.

Ken
If the FBI REALLY investigated Chicago corruption, 99% of the City Council would be in prison, along with 75% of the Chicago Police Department. And the rest would just be too dumb or too obviously flaky to work themselves into any lucrative arrangements.