CHL validity after expiration

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dingode

CHL validity after expiration

Post by dingode »

I searched the AG CHL manual but I couldn't find the info I was looking for. My CHL expires in late September and I can't get in for renewal until late October. Isn't my CHL good for 90 days after the expiration date or has that changed? I also can't remember from 5 years ago if they'll take my current card at the time of the renewal appointment or if I get to keep it so I can show that I'm within the 90 day expiration time frame if that is valid until the new card arrives.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CHL validity after expiration

Post by JustaShooter »

Your CHL is valid to carry in Ohio for 30 days past the expiration date on the license. See ORC 2923.126
(A) A concealed handgun license that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee's license expires during which the licensee's license remains valid...
I have heard some SOs will take the card when you renew, but if the 30 days hasn't elapsed I'd insist on keeping it.

I'd also recommend looking around at neighboring counties to see if I could get in sooner.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

You could always renew sooner. You don't have to wait for it to expire.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

EricTheBald wrote:You could always renew sooner. You don't have to wait for it to expire.
Looks like dingode is using a county with a long lag time. It's inexcusable but there is seemingly no good way to make these sheriff's offices do their jobs at least according to the law, much less in a timely efficient fashion.

Same deal with some county clerk of courts offices. Over a year behind entering criminal convictions into the database. This allows prohibited persons to buy firearms. Then days or weeks later the local cops and maybe feds show up at the dealer's door saying "YOU DIDN'T SELL THAT GUY A GUN, DID YOU!?"
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
dingode

Post by dingode »

Brian D. wrote:
EricTheBald wrote:You could always renew sooner. You don't have to wait for it to expire.
Looks like dingode is using a county with a long lag time. It's inexcusable but there is seemingly no good way to make these sheriff's offices do their jobs at least according to the law, much less in a timely efficient fashion.

Same deal with some county clerk of courts offices. Over a year behind entering criminal convictions into the database. This allows prohibited persons to buy firearms. Then days or weeks later the local cops and maybe feds show up at the dealer's door saying "YOU DIDN'T SELL THAT GUY A GUN, DID YOU!?"
Lucas county/Toledo does have a long lead time, but it's my fault that I didn't schedule sooner knowing this. My surrounding counties have earlier appointments, but I can't get the time off work. I should be alright though. I really don't go anyplace other than work and like most workplaces, they don't allow you to carry. I'm at the age where a good weekend means not leaving home and a great weekend means you stay at home and don't even have to put pants on. :D
ohio bowhunter

Post by ohio bowhunter »

I always go to Wood county .
Online scheduling , fast , efficient .
"Stupid people should be encouraged to say stupid things; that way, we always know who the stupid people are."
~ Ted Nugent