First notification experience after many years of CCing.

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Just One Shot

First notification experience after many years of CCing.

Post by Just One Shot »

I pulled a bone head move leaving Walmart today, I made a left turn from a right turn only exit. I was pulled over by Officer Joshua Snyder of the Lima Police Department.

I kept my hands where he could see them and immediately notified him that I had a concealed carry license. He asked if I was armed to which I replied "Yes sir I am."

He took both my licenses, ran my information and returned with a warning notice instead of a ticket. Officer Snyder was cordial and professional in his interaction. It's good to know there are well trained people who don't freak out when a gun is mentioned like some use to do when Ohio first became a right to carry state.
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: First notification experience after many years of CCing.

Post by WhyNot »

Again, remaining calm and courteous is the BEST way to minimize the damage in a traffic stop. How long were you parked there, assisting the patrolman with other traffic? That is, lights are blazing --others take notice 8)

Glad it all turned out Ok for you (no negative $$ flow), etc.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Ya bonehead! :lol: I can't say much, when it's snowy out I start worrying more about the laws of physics than the laws of traffic. For example I'm not staying stopped at a red light while the vehicle is facing uphill, any longer than needed, assuming there's no vehicles around.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Just One Shot wrote:I pulled a bone head move leaving Walmart today, I made a left turn from a right turn only exit. I was pulled over by Officer Joshua Snyder of the Lima Police Department.....
Hmmmm.

If the lane markings were on private property, and not a city street, can a city police officer even cite you for disobedience to that lane marking ? If "no", then he had no probable cause to stop you in the first place. (Don't know if there were any arrow signs posted or not.)

In the late 70's and early 80's, the answer would have been an emphatic "no". The only thing we had authority to ticket for on private property was reckless driving and OMVI. I know because I lost a case with this exact fact pattern in a Central Ohio Muni Court in like 1980 (but I still got OT for going to court, so.............).

Might explain why you only got a warning ???

Perhaps someone who is still an Ohio LEO can comment.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

docachna wrote: If the lane markings were on private property, and not a city street, can a city police officer even cite you for disobedience to that lane marking ? ...
I've wondered the same thing only in relation to stop signs on private property, but have never found a satisfactory answer.

But what I DID find when I was digging is that at least some of the Big Chain Stores "driveways" between and around the complex are named city streets.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

147Doc wrote:
docachna wrote: If the lane markings were on private property, and not a city street, can a city police officer even cite you for disobedience to that lane marking ? ...
I've wondered the same thing only in relation to stop signs on private property, but have never found a satisfactory answer.

But what I DID find when I was digging is that at least some of the Big Chain Stores "driveways" between and around the complex are named city streets.

Here ya go.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

TJW815 wrote:
147Doc wrote:

Here ya go.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.432" refers to residential areas.

What about commercial (business) areas?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
docachna

Post by docachna »

TJW815 wrote:
147Doc wrote:

Here ya go.

Applies to "stop signs". As I understood the OP, he was stopped for supposedly making a left turn out of a thru-only lane. Does not appear this would apply to a commercial driveway in any event.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE