CCW renewals down because of appts. ?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

CCW renewals down because of appts. ?

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/gun-sales-ris ... ZSNFMQEJI/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One would typically get their concealed carry permit, or have it renewed, at the county Sheriff’s office. When the pandemic forced businesses and government buildings to shutdown Montgomery County Sheriff Rob Streck ended walk-in CCW applications.

“We did not have any space that allowed for 32 people to show up and wait in line,” Streck said.

In their place, he set up an appointment system. That system resulted in a dramatic drop in the number of new licenses issued, as well as licenses renewed from 2019 to 2020.
I wonder if the bolded only really refers to the ones they process, because you can potentially go elsewhere. As far as appts. go, my county has always required appts, and it doesn't slow down people from applying or renewing. In fact it makes the process quicker in my county, get in and get out.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: CCW renewals down because of appts. ?

Post by WY_Not »

I'd hazard that the extended expiration date factors in as well for renewals. Why spend the money now if you are good till June 30? Mine expired on 1 Dec. I got an appointment and renewed at the end of Dec. Only bothered because I'm a veteran and it was free. If I had to pay, I'd have waited. Why feed the monster more than you have to?

As far as new issues... lots of factors. Do they have open appointments and people just aren't applying/renewing? Or are they using the appointment system as a bottleneck? This is Montgomery Co. after all.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Reason # 15,235,456.83(b) to PERMANENTLY EXTEND existing CHLs

You know JUST like they made liquor/mixed drinks to-go / delivery LEGAL, because, it proved to be A-OK during the Covid summer fiasco

8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

CCWs are winning us a great deal in the Statehouse.
We're SO much closer to Constitutional carry.
Are we not pleased with this half measure that we must routinely re-apply/beg for?
How long until the cancel culture comes for anyone with a current/valid CCW?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Anything that becomes a pita could certainly impact the number of renewals. That's not surprising and dare I say it - 'part of the design'.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

bignflnut wrote:CCWs are winning us a great deal in the Statehouse.
We're SO much closer to Constitutional carry.
Are we not pleased with this half measure that we must routinely re-apply/beg for?
How long until the cancel culture comes for anyone with a current/valid CCW?
Garvas......where's the like button?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Mal R

Post by Mal R »

Personally, a few days ago, I just scheduled an appointment in Lucas County, and the earliest appointment is 2 months out. My expiration date isn't until February. I suppose, I'm glad it was extended until June.
"Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yikes. Miami County was maybe a week and a half to two weeks out and that was around the holidays.
Mal R wrote:Personally, a few days ago, I just scheduled an appointment in Lucas County, and the earliest appointment is 2 months out. My expiration date isn't until February. I suppose, I'm glad it was extended until June.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Utah lets you apply for your renewal online and they mail it to you. Wish we could get something like that here. If we have to deal with licenses at all, it should be as easy as possible.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

techguy85 wrote:Utah lets you apply for your renewal online and they mail it to you. Wish we could get something like that here. If we have to deal with licenses at all, it should be as easy as possible.

You're confusing Licensing with voting.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

techguy85 wrote:Utah lets you apply for your renewal online and they mail it to you. Wish we could get something like that here. If we have to deal with licenses at all, it should be as easy as possible.
Florida does (or did) mail out renewal notices and applications prior to expiration. You mail it back with your money and they mail you the license. IDK how trustworthy that is now with the current USPS.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep. As did New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. Then the mental illness struck. Thankfully NH no longer provides any additional states for reciprocity and we go to PA on a regular basis so not a major inconvenience.
M-Quigley wrote:
Florida does (or did) mail out renewal notices and applications prior to expiration. You mail it back with your money and they mail you the license. IDK how trustworthy that is now with the current USPS.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

No appointments, in and out at Morrow County.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

evan price wrote:No appointments, in and out at Morrow County.
Did you go to Morrow, today? :lol: Sorry.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.