Change of Address

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Change of Address

Post by deanimator »

As some of you know, I was forced to move due to that catastrophic condo fire in Rocky River earlier this year. I had to move with no notice. I'm literally still unpacking.

I still have my original driver's license and CHL.

I can find no reference to change of address on Lorain County's website.

Can anybody provide any guidance?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
pirateguy191

Re: Change of Address

Post by pirateguy191 »

I believe you have 45 days to inform the issuing county of the address change. I don't see any penalty for not doing so.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

pirateguy191 wrote:I believe you have 45 days to inform the issuing county of the address change. I don't see any penalty for not doing so.
Thanks. I think I'll do the driver's license first, then the CHL, since that'll remove any possible complications with the latter.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Why not just call the issuing county and tell them that you moved and what the new address is?

As for the DL, that can be done online. They will mail you a postcard with the new address that you must keep with your DL until it is time to renew.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

WY_Not wrote:Why not just call the issuing county and tell them that you moved and what the new address is?

As for the DL, that can be done online. They will mail you a postcard with the new address that you must keep with your DL until it is time to renew.
Thanks.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

WY_Not wrote:Why not just call the issuing county and tell them that you moved and what the new address is?

Tried that when I moved. Called on 4 different occasions and finally left a voicemail on the 4th try.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:
Tried that when I moved. Called on 4 different occasions and finally left a voicemail on the 4th try.
If the website doesn't give guidance, and phone calls go unanswered, my suggestion has been to send a letter with the new address for the return address informing them of the change. I'd also be tempted to send it certified mail, return receipt requested. Closest thing to a definitive proof of notification I can come up with.

Oh, and just to make sure folks are aware, there is *no* requirement to get a new physical license. You can if you want to, and they can charge a $15 fee (specified in Ohio law), but they *cannot* require you to do so. And no, the address on the CHL and DL do not have to match - just make sure you've notified both the DMV and SO of the change and you should be fine.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!