CHL extension???

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pirateguy191

CHL extension???

Post by pirateguy191 »

I've been contacted by some people that are trying to make appointments for renewals. The Sheriffs around here are "booked" through the end of the year. What's the language on the 90 day extension that was granted during the shutdown?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CHL extension???

Post by JustaShooter »

It's more than a 90 day extension. Any license that expires after the start of the declared emergency (March 9th) through the end of the declared emergency is extended to 90 days after the end of the declared emergency, or December 1, 2020, whichever is *earlier*. Here's the text of the extension. From Page 327:
(E)(1) If a concealed handgun license has been issued to a person under section 2923.125 of
the Revised Code and if the date on which that license was, or is, scheduled to expire falls during the
period of emergency declared by Executive Order 2020-01D, issued on March 9, 2020, but not
beyond December 1, 2020, if the period of the emergency continues beyond that date,
notwithstanding that date of scheduled expiration or any other provision of law to the contrary, the
date on which that license was, or is, scheduled to expire is hereby extended to the sooner of either
ninety days or December 1, 2020, with the ninety-day extension period commencing on that date of
scheduled expiration.
http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/sola ... format=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BTW, I've heard from several people that they asked their County Sheriff's Office about the extension and were pretty much all told it was 90 days after the expiration of the license, which is not correct. I would recommend anyone carrying under the extension to carry a copy of the extension with them.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
danoam

Post by danoam »

JustaShooter wrote:It's more than a 90 day extension. Any license that expires after the start of the declared emergency (March 9th) through the end of the declared emergency is extended to 90 days after the end of the declared emergency, or December 1, 2020, whichever is *earlier*. Here's the text of the extension. From Page 327:
(E)(1) If a concealed handgun license has been issued to a person under section 2923.125 of
the Revised Code and if the date on which that license was, or is, scheduled to expire falls during the
period of emergency declared by Executive Order 2020-01D, issued on March 9, 2020, but not
beyond December 1, 2020, if the period of the emergency continues beyond that date,
notwithstanding that date of scheduled expiration or any other provision of law to the contrary, the
date on which that license was, or is, scheduled to expire is hereby extended to the sooner of either
ninety days or December 1, 2020, with the ninety-day extension period commencing on that date of
scheduled expiration.
http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/sola ... format=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are you saying that the date of scheduled expiration refers to the date of expiration of the state of emergency and not the expiration date on the license itself?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

danoam wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:It's more than a 90 day extension. Any license that expires after the start of the declared emergency (March 9th) through the end of the declared emergency is extended to 90 days after the end of the declared emergency, or December 1, 2020, whichever is *earlier*. Here's the text of the extension. From Page 327:
scheduled expiration.
Are you saying that the date of scheduled expiration refers to the date of expiration of the state of emergency and not the expiration date on the license itself?
I was wrong about when the extension began, the 90 days begins on the expiration date of the CHL. My apologies, I misread the text of the bill.
NRA Life Member

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Soooo.....

Just thinkn out loud here...

What compelling evidence can the state continue with for CHL re-issue EVERY year, when, there WILL BE compelling evidence that existing good citizen CHL holders do not pose a threat?

ISSUE
LIFETIME
CHL's
TO
CITIZENS
RENEWING! ! !
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Flexmoney

Post by Flexmoney »

Now that our "state of emergency" has gone beyond 90 days, has anybody heard of an update on this?
Kyle F.
USPSA Board of Directors - Area 5
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Flexmoney wrote:Now that our "state of emergency" has gone beyond 90 days, has anybody heard of an update on this?
There has been no update that I'm aware of.
NRA Life Member

danoam

Post by danoam »

I emailed my rep (Bill Seitz) a couple weeks ago. His office is in contact with the Hamilton County Sheriffs office, not that the SO can do anything about this. My CHL is now expired, as is my 90 day grace period. I do have a renewal appointment for October 2. My county and the surrounding counties are booked through the end of the year it seems.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Reason #23 to END renewals, at a minimum, once an Ohio resident has went through several.

Hey... if they can ''make it up'' as they go along, the, ''make that one up'' too.

Have his Goobership issue that as another :roll: Prrrrrroclamation :roll: ( I think he's done heralding the DEMOCRAT position of more more more mostest gun control re: Dayton 1 year anniversary)

:wink: :P :P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

I just managed to get an appointment for next week with Lake County.
It pays to check their site every day for openings.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

danoam wrote:I emailed my rep (Bill Seitz) a couple weeks ago. His office is in contact with the Hamilton County Sheriffs office, not that the SO can do anything about this. My CHL is now expired, as is my 90 day grace period. I do have a renewal appointment for October 2. My county and the surrounding counties are booked through the end of the year it seems.
You want to bring some more attention to this? Use AM talk radio hosts. Brian Thomas on 550KRC and Gary Jeff Walker from 700WLW are VERY pro-2A.

Mention that you will blame Governor DeWine if this situation puts you in harm's way. DeWine's staffers alert him to criticism which points out potential liability.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3 gun

Post by 3 gun »

New bill went to Dewines desk extending grace period to June 2021 and if I read it right if you expire between 4/21 to 6/21 you'd get another 90 days.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/hb-614- ... ne-30-2021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An unloaded pistol is a paperweight. Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Change you can believe in..Pre-65 US silver coins
NRA Certified RSO and Instructor in rifle, pistol and shotgun.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Yes yes absolutely. A good thingie coming out of covid-1978 (SPECIFICALLY... DECEMBER 1978. December 4th {fourth})

Defacto ''No- CHL Renewals-R-REALLY-Necessary'' , just continue the GOOD CITIZENS current license plate, er, card.

The modern world Poe-lices forces can revoke it instantly, if the GOOD citizen does a darth vader or vaderette.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll

Yeah, I'm that good
3 gun

Post by 3 gun »

DeWine signed the extension
An unloaded pistol is a paperweight. Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Change you can believe in..Pre-65 US silver coins
NRA Certified RSO and Instructor in rifle, pistol and shotgun.