Another problem instructor - North Central Ohio

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ohiodff

Another problem instructor - North Central Ohio

Post by ohiodff »

Putting this in this forum because of how impressed I am with how this was handled. Seen many nightmare stories on this type of thing so it could have gone very differently. Probably should go elsewhere - where is the correct place to blast a bogus CCW instructor?

Prologue:
I got my LCCH in July 2018. When I picked up a CZ P-07 I had bought (two days after applying for the license) the LGS owner told me "you should have gone to Ashland County (neighboring) they process them in 2 days. Richland is notoriously slow and CCW-unfriendly". Sure enough, on day 44 they called me with my license. Another note was that despite the Social Security Number field clearly saying "optional", when I initially declined to add it the person I submitted to refused to accept the form without it. No issue after that, when they called me to pick it up there were no other issues, delays, or attitude problems, was just disappointed about the whole process.

So this morning I get a call from the Richland County Sheriff. Turns out my instructor, Mark White, was handing out certificates of completion despite not having valid instructor's credentials to do so at the time and that my LCCH was no longer considered valid. She told me that Mr White was offering to work something out for another instructor to offer us replacement classes at no charge but it turns out that person isn't authorized either. This is where I expected to be told "too bad, so sad, but you are SOL and are on your own."

Instead, she told me the RCS was attempting to get all 12 us of that are affected by this a certification course taught by a RSC representative at no charge. They hope to get us all together for one class but are willing to do multiple if needed. I must say this shocked (and thrilled) me, especially given the prior warning and experience I had with the initial license. Of course the license will still be suspended, they have no choice on that, but hopefully it's done quickly and at no charge. She didn't mention if the physical license had to be surrendered or not, but I suspect the letter will clarify that.
The German

Re: Another problem instructor - North Central Ohio

Post by The German »

That really sucks - I think the best way to address it is either teaching all future students to take their instructor's credentials and check them (at least the NRA offers online credential checks), or get the Ohio Attorney General to change the training requirements to start with the instructor showing credentials, asking students to verify these (that's at least what I do when I teach classes).
Hope it will be a painless process getting the licenses re-instated.
ohiodff

Post by ohiodff »

I have to say I am 110% thrilled with how this was handled. Richland County Sheriff office went above and beyond here.

The CCW class was offered and completed on Saturday at no charge to us. In the classroom at 8:00 AM and off the range at 4:00 with a working lunch. Sergeant Rich Eichenger was our instructor and he was professional, effective, and fun. Sheriff Sheldon made an appearance and he's a very nice, laid back, salt-of-the-earth guy. He was very positive and pro-CCW so I am questioning my earlier source that indicated he was not. Nothing here suggests that. He allowed his staff to rearrange Sgt. Eichenger's schedule so that Saturday was a work shift for him so he at least didn't get dragged in on his day off and everyone involved - both Sergeant Alfreys (a married couple which cracked me up) - were great and supportive as well.

Sgt. Eichenger had our certificates ready and our licenses (we had to surrender them within 10 days of the letter) on hand for us as soon as our range time was completed. We weren't officially reinstated (and he made that super clear) until they got into LEADS on Monday to reinstate them, but at least that saved us a trip or two back to the Sheriff's office to pick them up. I got a call at about 9:30 Monday informing me my license had been un-suspended in LEADS and I was good to start carrying immediately.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

ohiodff wrote:I have to say I am 110% thrilled with how this was handled. Richland County Sheriff office went above and beyond here.

The CCW class was offered and completed on Saturday at no charge to us. In the classroom at 8:00 AM and off the range at 4:00 with a working lunch. Sergeant Rich Eichenger was our instructor and he was professional, effective, and fun. Sheriff Sheldon made an appearance and he's a very nice, laid back, salt-of-the-earth guy. He was very positive and pro-CCW so I am questioning my earlier source that indicated he was not. Nothing here suggests that. He allowed his staff to rearrange Sgt. Eichenger's schedule so that Saturday was a work shift for him so he at least didn't get dragged in on his day off and everyone involved - both Sergeant Alfreys (a married couple which cracked me up) - were great and supportive as well.

Sgt. Eichenger had our certificates ready and our licenses (we had to surrender them within 10 days of the letter) on hand for us as soon as our range time was completed. We weren't officially reinstated (and he made that super clear) until they got into LEADS on Monday to reinstate them, but at least that saved us a trip or two back to the Sheriff's office to pick them up. I got a call at about 9:30 Monday informing me my license had been un-suspended in LEADS and I was good to start carrying immediately.
An elected official going one step beyond that required to assist his constituents is a welcome, but rare incident.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

That's awesome. They really went above and beyond. :D

I tell my students how to check credentials for NRA instructors and then show them mine on the NRAHQ instructor portal so they know what to look for.
ohiodff

Post by ohiodff »

schmieg wrote:An elected official going one step beyond that required to assist his constituents is a welcome, but rare incident.
Agreed and is why I went into this with some concern about how it would play out. Felt compelled to make sure I posted the update to give credit where credit is due.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

ohiodff wrote:I have to say I am 110% thrilled with how this was handled. Richland County Sheriff office went above and beyond here.

Wonder just how "pro-ccw" he is.
Wonder if he's in favor of doing away with licensing.........or showing up at the statehouse and speak in favor of getting rid of licensing
......hmmmm.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".