Shotgun appraisal ?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Shotgun appraisal ?

Post by Bruenor »

I am trying to find the value of an old Ithaca shotgun, but values in the Blue Book vary from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. This one is probably on the low end, but I'd prefer an expert opinion just in case. What I came across is a 1915 Ithaca Flues 16 Gauge Side-by-Side shotgun. Want to do right by my mother in law in the sale of this piece of history.

Are there any gun stores in North East ohio that specialize in shotguns or appraising older firearms ? Jacqua's was my first thought, till I saw that it's a 3 hour drive from me.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
ESAFO

Re: Shotgun appraisal ?

Post by ESAFO »

You can start here Bruenor without knowing barrel length, pictures & descriptions might help.
Then you can also dig around in past history to see what items have sold for.
This way you might be able to narrow down a range value without spending hours of driving around & also risking damage to the shotgun.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/844980533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Yeah I looked around gun broker and some other sites, and see the wide variation in pricing there as well, which is why I was hoping for someone that knew what they were looking at to take a peek. the different markings on the firearm will indicate the grade and other things to look for. I can't pick up what those marking are from a gunbroker posting, although I am starting to track down some info on some of the collector forums as to what the marking indicate (Grade, Gauge, Choke size, Barrel material, etc).

Thanks for the suggestion, that is the method I'm using, in conjunction with the blue book, for most of the other pieces I'm determining values for.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

No problem wish I could be of more help.
Hopefully you can get a lead on a local shop that will be of more help to you.
Good luck in your search.
BOB
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

You might give this a shot...

Go to the Gunrunner Online Auction site (the one in Burton) and, under "auctions", select "past auctions". Open the search utility and type "Flues".

This should return with 12 or 13 completed auctions for the Flues Shotgun with realized price and also good descriptions of model and conditions.

Good luck to you and grandma!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Funny I did exactly that a couple days ago and again the prices ranged from 200 to 1000.00 so still up in the air. I sent them an email asking if they would be able to give me a ballpark figure on the firearm, and linked them to Photos of it. I also stated if it were near the high end I would probably want to put it on consignment in their store, since Burton isn't too far from me. That was 2 days ago and I haven't yet heard back :(

Great suggestion though, thanks !

Here's a couple images..

https://i.ibb.co/m5ywr9r/11-Shotgug-Left-Side.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.ibb.co/GtWg0Ht/4-Receiver-Left-Side.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.ibb.co/RHJbW0W/5-Receiver-Bottom.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not in great condition, but a really neat old firearm. I'm thinking they did all that engraving by hand back then.
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Durys Guns was able to provide an appraisal of market value in the $600-700 range. Still haven't heard back from Gunrunners, but at least I now have a target price.
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Definitely nice to have something to go by it takes all the guess work out of wondering.
BOB