Anyone here have a Springfield Armory 911?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Anyone here have a Springfield Armory 911?

Post by Brian D. »

I looked at the .380 version at the Ohio Gun Collector's Association show over the weekend, but know very little about it or the 9mm model. It was used but unfired, for $400. My internal gun guy voice suggested snagging it up, but the rest of me said "Do some research first!"

So, who has one and what do you think? I'm open to either caliber by the way.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Anyone here have a Springfield Armory 911?

Post by JustaShooter »

I have a SA Range Officer in 9mm and I love it. I'm not a 1911 guy, and this is the first and only 1911 I've owned, but it is easily the smoothest functioning handgun I've ever shot. I've shot a couple of other 1911s, including a Kimber Custom II, and none of them were better than the SA - and some were not as good. I'm sure there are nicer 1911s out there, but without spending real money on one I don't see how you could do better out of the box.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks. But the Springfield Armory 911 is a different animal, based on the Colt Mustang design, which begat the Sig P238 (.380) and then the P938 (9mm).

********************************************************************************
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:Thanks. But the Springfield Armory 911 is a different animal, based on the Colt Mustang design, which begat the Sig P238 (.380) and then the P938 (9mm).
Not sure how I totally missed that the question was about the 911, not the 1911.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Easy mistake to make. Online "reputation" of the 911 seems good, but I always look for opinions of owners who are here on the forum.