AR build question

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

AR build question

Post by Mustang380gal »

Ted is going to do something I never expected him to do. He is building not one, but 2 ARs! (He has never been an AR guy.) One is going to be a carbine for me; the other is going to be a rifle for a daughter. She will want it for target shooting, so a smooth trigger would be good.

What trigger assembly do you recommend? He is looking for mid-range, not top of the line trigger assemblies.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
jeep45238

Re: AR build question

Post by jeep45238 »

Honestly, a basic GI trigger that's been de-burred with a stone is a lot better than people give it credit for. I would avoid any trigger mechanism that comes in a chassis, has over travel screws, or a Jewel target setup - i've seen the 'chassis' systems do some interesting failures regarding the safety engagement and think it's got a lot to do with trying to hold their own dimensional tolerances vs. what the lower receiver was designed for. The jewel target setup is notoriously finicky and source of frustration.

For a low cost that makes the trigger smoother, look for a coated (usually NiB these days) trigger/hammer setup. The grittiness is the problem for these firearms, not really the weight. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-2-s ... mbly1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'd grab this for the carbine.

A much, much nicer option is a basic Geissle trigger. They follow USGI design merged with M1 Garand style hammer/sear interfaces, are insanely tough, and offer great trigger breaks in both 1 and 2 stages with a weight you can pre-determine with no screws to mess with or cause an issue later on. I'd check this out for the target-oriented rifle https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/t ... ke_3=AR-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

All of my 5.56/.223 ARs have the basic GI trigger. That really is "good enough".

Once I decided to build some .300 Blackout ARs I went with the Wilson Combat TTU trigger. It is quite excellent! Be cautioned, if you get used to the TTU and then go back to the GI trigger you'll grumble loudly/often about the GI. 8)

I would avoid any 2-stage triggers. They teach habits that are not becoming of riflemen. You don't need anything more than a quality single-stage trigger to execute amazing marksmanship.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
welshj

Post by welshj »

I have a timney competition trigger in one of mine.
It's a mid range price, $219.
But it's a one piece- drop in mechanism that replaces all the lower trigger pieces in one shot. 2.5-3 lb pull.... I love it.

Awesome trigger, american made, american company.

https://timneytriggers.com/ar-15-competition-trigger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife's AR is a standard anderson kit, I polished and cerakoted all moving pieces.
It's just a little more of a noticable pull than my timney.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I don’t shoot my AR’s a lot because I’ve long taken pride and enjoyment from handloading all that I shoot (except rimfire of course) but a couple of years ago I decided to ONLY buy ammo for AR’s because I don’t enjoy the volume of work involved to feed AR’s. It’s an odd place to be for me because I feel like I never wanna take one of my AR’s to the range and yet every time I ever have, I have a blast shooting them.

With that out of the way, my choice is the Larue MBT trigger. It’s no Geissle for sure but it is soooo much better than stock and it’s just $80. And the company is great to deal with and they feel like “regular gun guys” that get to make cool gun stuff for a living.

I’m sure there are far better triggers for specific applications but for $80, I think the Larue MBT is money spent exceptionally well and install is a 10 minute job.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Some of the Anderson lower parts kits use a stainless trigger & hammer. There not bad and feel a lot "cleaner" than standard GI (or China) parts, for only a couple bucks more.
If you can spend up to a $150 extra, look at both the Ruger 452 (a little creep on the first stage) or in a single stage, CMC's offerings.
Not like a Geissle or Timney, but way better than GI.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

For a target rifle build with a basic trigger I would recommend the Rock River 2-stage trigger.
The RR lower parts kit that includes the 2-stage trigger it's $120.00 on Rock Rivers website right now, AR0120NM so pretty reasonably priced for a trigger that meets the CMP NM requirements, as well as all the other parts for your lower. Pretty much everyone shooting CMP at our local club used the RR 2 stage triggers.

there's a TON of higher end triggers for AR's now from geissele, Timney, to hiperfire, etc.. If you don't mind paying for them. I'm rather fond of the hiperfire triggers myself.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bruenor wrote:For a target rifle build with a basic trigger I would recommend the Rock River 2-stage trigger.
The RR lower parts kit that includes the 2-stage trigger it's $120.00 on Rock Rivers website right now, AR0120NM so pretty reasonably priced for a trigger that meets the CMP NM requirements, as well as all the other parts for your lower. Pretty much everyone shooting CMP at our local club used the RR 2 stage triggers.

there's a TON of higher end triggers for AR's now from geissele, Timney, to hiperfire, etc.. If you don't mind paying for them. I'm rather fond of the hiperfire triggers myself.
I'll second the Rock River 2 stage. Mustang380gal, that's the trigger I had in the AR I used when I flat out crushed the Appleseed event I told you about - you know, the one where I said "I like that rifle, and that rifle likes me". The trigger was a big part of why.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

A cleaned up GI trigger is all I’ve ever needed to be plenty accurate from an AR platform. While the high end triggers are nice, they aren’t really needed for accurate target shooting.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

TJW815 wrote:A cleaned up GI trigger is all I’ve ever needed to be plenty accurate from an AR platform. While the high end triggers are nice, they aren’t really needed for accurate target shooting.
Plus 1 On that TJW
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

I have ARs with GI, "enhanced polished trigger", Rock River 2 stage, JP single stage, and La Rue 2 stage.

From my perspective La Rue is best bang for the buck. A nice all around trigger and easy to install.

JP has been in my 3gun rifle for over a decade and +10k rounds, going strong. A great trigger but a bit of a pain to adjust initially, not what you want for a beginner's install.

I like Rock River. I've shot mine a lot, to the point where second stage is down to 4 ounces. Probably time to replace it.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Morne wrote:...I would avoid any 2-stage triggers. They teach habits that are not becoming of riflemen. You don't need anything more than a quality single-stage trigger to execute amazing marksmanship.
I disagree.

The US Army Marksmanship unit (AMU) and the US Marine Corps Marksmanship unit ALL use 2-stage triggers.

IF you want to reach your full potential, use a 2 stage trigger.

+3 on RRA match grade 2 stage trigger. That said, I upgraded to a Giselle, and like it a lot.

Go with a free float fore arm , and a quality tele-stock.

I may have seen you at Small Arms Firing School. If I'm wrong, go there! 8)
http://thecmp.org/2019-small-arms-firing-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Wow I'm late to this party but I'll chime in anyway.

ALG Defense is my go-to for AR triggers that doesn't need to be a high end 2-stage. I have the QMS and THE FACT installed in 6 out of my 7 ARs and love them. I can't tell a difference between them so just go with the cheaper QMS. Also, they have sales often if you sign up for their newsletter. Like 35% of the triggers.

ALG Defense is a Geisselle product so expect quality.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Ted said he went with an Stoner-enhanced trigger from Midway for now. He doesn't have them together yet.

JU-87, I am pretty sure I did see you at SAFS. It's been a while. I am hoping to go back at some point.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Mustang380gal wrote:Ted said he went with an Stoner-enhanced trigger from Midway for now. He doesn't have them together yet.

JU-87, I am pretty sure I did see you at SAFS. It's been a while. I am hoping to go back at some point.
A word of caution from personal experience. A self-contained custom trigger group is nice. However, the trigger spring in the GI trigger group not only functions for trigger pressure and reset; it also maintains pressure against the trigger pin. Without that pressure, the trigger pin can start walking after successive shots. If one end drops inside the lower receiver, and you fail to notice, you can get a double tap before the sear engages, and that will send a shiver up your spine.

I recommend a fairly cheap investment in anti-walk hammer and trigger pins for self-contained trigger groups.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.