2020 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

2020 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Post by jeep45238 »

Let's do this.

---------------------------------------------------

01JAN2020 weigh in after crap food for a while - so, here we go. Minimum goal is 185 pounds and 15% body fat by mid/late summer, weekly weigh in

201.2lb
23.3% body fat

16.2 pounds and 8.3% body fat to loose
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
jeep45238

Re: 2020 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Post by jeep45238 »

200.0 lbs - 23.1% bf

Did decent on the calorie counting, threw it in the towel Saturday knowingly by working the mini-fridge empty.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Up until last week every table or site I used indicated that I was/am OBESE.
The problem is the statistics used for "average" human dimensions vs weight include billions of people that tend to be walking skeletons.

I've voiced this opinion with several doctors and they somewhat agree with me.

Then I found this site: https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

My results.
This calculator computes the body mass index and rates it appropriately for men, women, children, juveniles and seniors. The SBMI – an index that has been developed four years ago especially for this calculator – serves for this purpose. It is based on the results of the most comprehensive study* published so far on the BMI and its associated health risks.
In my case I have a BMI of 30 and the graphic places me splitting the moderate and low health risk areas.
Your weight is at a somewhat elevated level; in our view, it may be less than optimal for your health. Contrary to the WHO classification of "obese", we hold the statement that you are only "overweight".

Your body fat mass seems to be a slightly above average. But health ought not be affected provided your blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels remain at moderate values. This could be more likely if you have a higher muscle mass and a lower amount of body fat.
Note that my cholesterol and blood pressure are under control.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

That’s great you got some stuff under control!

If it matters, I haven’t been a fan of the BMI for a while, and even the ex (licensed dietitian) absolutely hated it. I wouldn’t focus so much on a number, just forward, sustainable progress towards an achievable goal :-)

-Important distinction
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I’m what ya call short and fat. I’m a 38 with a gut and my goal is to be a 34 with a gut by Memorial Day. Less than 1930 cals per day as sedintary.

My workout consists of carrying 20 to 30# of firewood to the house, from the woods 1/4 mile away. Started with 4 trips equaling 2 miles, with one mile loaded.

Compound exercises with free weights 3 days a week. It worked 7 years ago, I’ll make it work again!
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I went keto/very low carb/ near carnivore last year. It works. No hunger. I am losing weight and burning my own fat. Only problem is that I needed to buy new clothes :D

I had been doing yoga, but I am not sure that's quite enough. It's good for stretching, but I am not sure if it's good for strength much. I'm giving pilates a try.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

12JAN2020
194.8lbs
22.3% body fat

Haven't done anything besides use MyFitnessPal to keep easy track of calories. Haven't even given up beer!
jeep45238;97589605JAN2020
200.0 lbs - 23.1% bf

Did decent on the calorie counting, threw it in the towel Saturday knowingly by working the mini-fridge empty. Work resumes tomorrow.
------
01JAN2020
201.2lb
23.3% body fat

-Important distinction
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I've been using MyFitnessPal for several years.

One thing.
DO NOT weigh yourself every day! You will drive yourself crazy.
Weigh yourself ONE DAY A WEEK and do it at the same time of day, preferable in the morning after you use the toilet and before breakfast.

I spent 3 weeks in a Rehab facility regaining my strength to walk back in 2012.
There was a digital scale in the hallway between my room and where PT and OT was conducted.
One day I weighed myself after leaving OT, had lunch, and weighed myself again on the way to PT.
I had gained nearly 2 pounds!!!
Then I realized that besides the solid food I had drunk two half pints of milk.
A pint is one pound of liquid.
AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gilly32 »

jeep-How many calories per day are you allowing yourself?
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

AlanM wrote:I've been using MyFitnessPal for several years.

One thing.
DO NOT weigh yourself every day! You will drive yourself crazy.
Weigh yourself ONE DAY A WEEK and do it at the same time of day, preferable in the morning after you use the toilet and before breakfast.

I spent 3 weeks in a Rehab facility regaining my strength to walk back in 2012.
There was a digital scale in the hallway between my room and where PT and OT was conducted.
One day I weighed myself after leaving OT, had lunch, and weighed myself again on the way to PT.
I had gained nearly 2 pounds!!!
Then I realized that besides the solid food I had drunk two half pints of milk.
A pint is one pound of liquid.
I do weigh myself daily, but I have a different viewpoint from a QC side of things. Trying to capture the trends, not obsessing over day to day getting the same reduction, or getting bummed if you gain a bit. Knowing how much a day of say, 1,000 extra calories, or whatever, sets me back is good to know. Just my mentality, general progress and it'll have ups/downs, just like life, and it's what works for me.
gilly32 wrote:jeep-How many calories per day are you allowing yourself?
1840. Occasionally I'll go over, once big time due to the company buying and us being out of town (save the groceries for another day).

I'm a 35 year old male that's 'meh' on the activity level right now, age and sex will come into a factor, in addition to how aggressive you want to be.

-Important distinction
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

“I'm a 35 year old male that's 'meh' on the activity level right now, age and sex will come into a factor, in addition to how aggressive you want to be.”

Well, I’m a 64 year old male that gets no sex, so I must exercise twice as hard.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

My fitnesspal has had me at 1290 cal/day for several years.

At that point my metabolism is in "starvation mode" and I didn't lose much.
I found that if I had a "vacation day" once a week (eat whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted) it would kick start my metabolism and I my weekly weighin would show a decrease.

I'm now down to a weight that I can live with. (Basically I'm down ~85 lbs from my peak weight)
Cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood chemistry are all pretty good for a septuagenarian.

I just use myfitnesspal as a record of my intake.
AlanM
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

19JAN2020
21% body fat

Weight loss has stabilized into a very shallow slope for the last week. I'm happy with the progress, considering I was knocking on 210 around Christmas and didn't count a calorie until 01JAN2020
jeep45238 wrote: 01JAN2020
201.2lb
23.3% body fat

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

26JAN2020
190.4lb
21.3% body fat

Went over on the calorie count last weekend big time, and 4/5 days this week a little. Didn't help it wasn't healthy stuff, but man those fried pickles and frozen Reece cups were a treat.
19JAN2020
21% body fat

01JAN2020
201.2lb
23.3% body fat

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Discovered that eating a full bag of beef jerky in one sitting waiting at the bank sets me back about 3 days. It's a weak spot for me.

02FEB2020
188.9lb
20.8% body fat
01JAN2020
201.2lb
23.3% body fat

-Important distinction