DeWine: Everything's on the table for gun policy changes

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: DeWine: Everything's on the table for gun policy changes

Post by dustymedic »

qmti wrote:From the Statehouse Bureau,"Husted said potential buyers can request background checks from sheriffs’ offices, which can issue a “seller protection certificate” good for 90 days. That certificate or a valid concealed carry weapons permit can be presented to private sellers as proof they’ve passed a background check".
Is this going to be "Shall Issue"???
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Ole_grizzly
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ole_grizzly »

I’m glad to see the inclusion of stiffer penalties, both for straw purchases, and stronger felonies sentences. As we all know background checks won’t solve mass shootings or daily violence. Getting violent criminals off the street and keeping them off will certainly help. Also I’ve got the kindling at my feet and I’m soaked in kerosene, but the negativity in this thread against husted and Dewine because they don’t do exactly what you want is really disheartening. His new proposals don’t seem to increase burdens on law abiding citizens, it gives sellers an option that doesn’t exist currently, and increases penalties against violent criminals and those that purvey them firearms. Why do you think Dewine didn’t consult with ofcc? Likely because of this reaction and unwillingness to consider anything other than a narrow path that is simply unobtainable, that being the removal of notification and constitutional carry. Neither of which by the way address the daily and mass violence that is ever prevalent.
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too - the Repo man
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I'd like to know exactly who they (gov & lt.gov) DID in fact consult. No one seems to be saying ''it was me.'' Or more correctly as they stated several times gun groups, who is/ was the ''it was us'' creu :?: .

Aaaannnnd...all those things ^^ listed , it's justa lil' this, a lil' that...well, just add ''for now.'' The next creu will tinker with it, and, not to the better tasting butter on freedom's bread (think, toast).
Last edited by WhyNot on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Absolutely, a person should be willing to compromise with someone who wants them dead and must prove their willingness to compromise by letting the other side beat them half to death. :roll:

Gods forbid that he actually enforce the laws already on the books, punish actual criminals, and actually do their job and follow policies and procedures already in place. Or here is a novel idea... propose something that will actually make a difference, something that would actually target criminals rather than turning law abiding citizens into criminals.
Ole_grizzly wrote:I’m glad to see the inclusion of stiffer penalties, both for straw purchases, and stronger felonies sentences. As we all know background checks won’t solve mass shootings or daily violence. Getting violent criminals off the street and keeping them off will certainly help. Also I’ve got the kindling at my feet and I’m soaked in kerosene, but the negativity in this thread against husted and Dewine because they don’t do exactly what you want is really disheartening. His new proposals don’t seem to increase burdens on law abiding citizens, it gives sellers an option that doesn’t exist currently, and increases penalties against violent criminals and those that purvey them firearms. Why do you think Dewine didn’t consult with ofcc? Likely because of this reaction and unwillingness to consider anything other than a narrow path that is simply unobtainable, that being the removal of notification and constitutional carry. Neither of which by the way address the daily and mass violence that is ever prevalent.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Just a word of caution, stiffer penalties for "gun crimes" is just another ploy.
Then we expand the Prohibited Person farce and suddenly we can jail a whole lot of troublemakers for a long time.
Until then, it's not going to deter the chemically unbalanced criminal mind.

Our society is profoundly spiritually ill.

Now we're so miseducated that we're falling for Gnosticism.
The thing to point out is the fact that history is the friend of truth and justice and therefore every man. As we do not tire of pointing out, justice is blindfolded in all the old statues and paintings. This is because she only measures the facts – and facts are wonderfully historic and public, in that they can be independently verified. Justice is not to be swayed by age or sex or skin color or income level or hurt feelings or climate change. She merely examines the historical facts by means of witnesses and evidence. And this understanding of justice is thoroughly biblical and Christian. The reason we have due process and presumption of innocence and multiple corroborating witnesses and trial by jury is because Jesus rose from the dead in history and was seen by hundreds of witnesses. The resurrection of Jesus is the bedrock foundation for Western justice – otherwise biblical notions of justice are merely parochial, ethnic preferences and have no business claiming universal applicability. But the current anarchic spasm insisting that we will not have Jesus as our Lord (despite the Constitution’s explicit reference to His birth) is simultaneously an insistence that we be ruled by the capricious whims of gnostic tyranny. What is left after material facts and witnesses and historical evidence have been banished from the public square? What you are left with is secret knowledge, mystical feelings, woke tyranny, emotive lemmings.

SNIP

Gnosticism is always a powerplay. The genius of secret knowledge is that it can’t be pinned down. It morphs and bends and modifies and inverts at will. And turns out that the “will” is the will of whoever happens to have the adulation of the masses at the moment, and it is their erratic, emotive fits that defines the demand of the moment. It is not reasonable, and therefore it doesn’t care about reason, facts, evidence, history, testimony, or witnesses. In fact, all of those things are vestiges of the repressive, patriarchal past. Free your mind from all of those tiresome medieval tropes. The new woke Gnosticism cares only about what it cares about this minute and whatever Trump said on Twitter last night.

But the tyranny train keeps acomin’. What is justice? How do you know if justice has been served? Well, in our #metoo era, it is apparently the shrieks and moans and convulsions of the media-internet mob. Justice, according to the new woke Gnosticism, is the resulting schadenfreude from the latest sacrificial victim disemboweled on the altar of our collective cancel culture rage.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Ole_grizzly wrote:Why do you think Dewine didn’t consult with ofcc? Likely because of this reaction and unwillingness to consider anything other than a narrow path that is simply unobtainable, that being the removal of notification and constitutional carry. Neither of which by the way address the daily and mass violence that is ever prevalent.
Because he understood how much he'd be destroyed in public for his stance. And we didn't disappoint. His "plan" was and is tyranny. He knows he can't go that far that fast, and in the process he exposed himself as a tiny little tyrant. He miscalculated the Trump Koolaide. He thought Trump was going to back him up on this, and even TRUMP, yeah, even Mr WWE himself couldn't sell national Red Flag laws (with the NRA in his pocket). HA.

How wide a path of destruction are you willing to consider? There are infinite paths that keep us away from our Rights.

Negative rights address mass and daily violence, because an armed population can then be their own security team. Yes. By the way, the civil government should be ENCOURAGING law abiding people to carry weapons, realizing the limits of State resources. THAT is what it means to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave. Not scheming ways to confiscate the means of self-defense.

Ever prevalent violence is a family government issue. The civil government is there to punish wrongdoing AFTER the fact. You are asking for an educated and moral society. This is the realm of family government and church government. You're looking in the wrong arena for your savior.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Ole_grizzly wrote:I’m glad to see the inclusion of stiffer penalties, both for straw purchases, and stronger felonies sentences. As we all know background checks won’t solve mass shootings or daily violence. Getting violent criminals off the street and keeping them off will certainly help
I agree with this
I also think that no matter what the penalty is, offenders will rarely serve out their full sentences
Ole_grizzly wrote: Also I’ve got the kindling at my feet and I’m soaked in kerosene, but the negativity in this thread against husted and Dewine because they don’t do exactly what you want is really disheartening. His new proposals don’t seem to increase burdens on law abiding citizens, it gives sellers an option that doesn’t exist currently, and increases penalties against violent criminals and those that purvey them firearms.
EXACTLY what I want is constitutional carry, SYG, CHL's for voter ID, and his background check plan is going to "increase burdens on law abiding citizens" because anyone who doesn't use it is in danger of criminal negligence.
He is a far cry from exactly what anyone wants

Ole_grizzly wrote:Why do you think Dewine didn’t consult with ofcc? Likely because of this reaction and unwillingness to consider anything other than a narrow path that is simply unobtainable, that being the removal of notification and constitutional carry. Neither of which by the way address the daily and mass violence that is ever prevalent.
Why do you suppose DeWine CLAIMED he did consult with OFCC?

What part of this bill do you suppose would have prevented the Dayton shooting?
This bill is in response to that shooting, makes it harder on law abiding citizens, and as far as I can tell, wouldn't have stopped the shooting it is in response to, as far as I can tell.

Help me understand
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Rotorflyr

Post by Rotorflyr »

Ole_grizzly wrote:I’m glad to see the inclusion of stiffer penalties, both for straw purchases, and stronger felonies sentences.
Yeah, sure stiffer penalties are wonderful....except the current laws for straw purchases (and/or falsification of the 4473 form) RARELY ever get enforced, and sadly (violent) felons don't typically serve their full sentences either.

Ole_grizzly wrote:As we all know background checks won’t solve mass shootings or daily violence. Getting violent criminals off the street and keeping them off will certainly help.
See above, violent criminals typically don't serve their full sentence, so keeping them off the streets would be great (but wouldn't hold my breath)

Ole_grizzly wrote:His new proposals don’t seem to increase burdens on law abiding citizens, it gives sellers an option that doesn’t exist currently,
Actually as a (private) seller of a firearm I can choose not to sell to someone who refuses to sign a bill of sale (that can states they aren't prohibited from owning one).
I can request to see an OH CHL and not sell to someone who won't (or can't) show it to me...for that matter I can choose to conduct the sale thru an FFL and either ask the buyer to pay their fee (or split the cost with them)....His options don't really do anything and quite frankly aren't really enforceable anyway.
Ole_grizzly wrote:and increases penalties against violent criminals and those that purvey them firearms.

Again, enforce laws on the books, don't accept (slap on the wrist) plea's on violent crimes etc....
So why did he Claim he did consult the OFCC? (Oh right he's a politician) and removal of notification nor implementing constitutional carry would Increase the violence problem either (as has been shown elsewhere)