Edison State College

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Edison State College

Post by qmti »

I was at Edison State College In Piqua Ohio today for a softball game. The parking lots on the campus where posted "NO GUNS'. No street parking available. I was under the impression that a HB was passed that you could park in a school lot with your firearm locked up in the vehicle. Can't remember which HB it was. Anyone know if these parking lots can be posted?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Edison State College

Post by JustaShooter »

qmti wrote:I was at Edison State College In Piqua Ohio today for a softball game. The parking lots on the campus where posted "NO GUNS'. No street parking available. I was under the impression that a HB was passed that you could park in a school lot with your firearm locked up in the vehicle. Can't remember which HB it was. Anyone know if these parking lots can be posted?
The change in the law was for K-12 schools (or are you thinking of the general parking lot law that was passed?). Either way, colleges are no concealed carry zones by law, and the signs are likely intended to communicate that. But also by law, it is legal as long as the firearm is locked in the vehicle or is in the process of being locked in the vehicle.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

But also by law, it is legal as long as the firearm is locked in the vehicle or is in the process of being locked in the vehicle.

Thanks, that's the impression I had . As long as I park with the firearm left locked in the car I was good to go.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

But JustaShooter I think you'd agree that the college, by putting signs out there, are overreaching what the law actually allows.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:But JustaShooter I think you'd agree that the college, by putting signs out there, are overreaching what the law actually allows.
I'd have to see the signs and locations to say for sure, but my inclination is that they are posting the property in general, much like The Strip does. It may only appear that they are posting the parking lots - which would be an overreach.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!