Trump, Gun Free Zones and Day One

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Trump, Gun Free Zones and Day One

Post by bignflnut »

Your tweet here @realDonaldTrump is precisely why: 1) #RedFlag laws are awful policy ripe for abuse, and 2) why your personal opinion cannot lawfully or constitutionally result in another person’s fundamental human rights and property being taken from them by force (govt guns),” Firearms Policy Coalition answered back.

“With one Tweet POTUS explains how red flag laws can and will be abused,” commentator Dana Loesch weighed in.

The president is “Torn between two theories to explain his latest tweet,” Hot Air’s Allah Pundit noted. The options are the president “doesn’t understand why stuff like this will steel opposition on the right to the sort of red-flag bill he’s endorsed” or “He’s playing eight-dimensional chess, deliberately sabotaging the push for a new red-flag bill to please his base by showing immediately how it would be abused by the government once it’s law.”

That second option hardly seems likely. Trump himself notoriously argued, “Take the guns first, go through due process second.” And red herring edicts are the centerpiece of the new Republican push to capitulate on infringements, in the insane idea that there’s no amount of betrayals their desperate core constituents won’t tolerate. Hey, it’s worked in the past.

Option one is the most likely. He wasn’t serious but saw a chance to take a shot at an enemy with a “joke,” and didn't think through who the butt of it really was, and the broader implications.

The guy with the power to destroy lives doesn’t get to joke like that, at least not with people serious about liberty. Ask yourself this: If Trump does win in spite of his presumptuous arrogance about multiple broken promises on guns, what's to restrain him from showing “true colors” in his second term, when he doesn’t need to worry about reelection?

Undeniable betrayal is what will finally be the last straw for perhaps a critical mass of disillusioned gun-owning voters. It certainly takes the fire out of their bellies to do all the things necessary to “win” an election, particularly when it looks to be close, and 2020 is Donald Trump’s and an increasingly unprincipled GOP’s to blow.
Betrayal!
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

The latest on Trump and background checks (as of 8/21/19 10:57am EST)

https://www.whio.com/news/national-govt ... qpTUmks9J/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there's this.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... e-pushback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Senate Homeland Security Chairman Ron Johnson (D-WI) does not expect red flag gun control to be passed any time soon, as the media-driven hysteria following the gruesome mass shootings in El Paso, TX and Dayton, OH continues to wane.

“I really don’t see the dynamic having really changed there much,” Johnson said. “I don’t anticipate we’re going to pass a federal red flag law.

“There are a lot of downsides to passing more legislation that doesn’t do anything positive,” Johnson added.

SNIP

“If he’s talking to the same people I’d be talking to, he’d probably be a little bit more careful in terms of saying: ‘This is for sure what’s going to happen,’” Johnson said.

“All I can really tell you is what I hear in Wisconsin: The debate really hasn’t changed at all,” Johnson added. “I realize the clamor and I realize the polling, but I don’t think that really assesses peoples’ knowledge of what we’re really talking about here.”
A ploy to get lull us back to sleep?
Shall the RKBA calls stop flowing in as they return to the office?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I'm feeling like one of Trump's wives...is he for marriage, or not?
How many sides of his mouth can he talk out of?
This is an August 21 report...
President Donald Trump reversed himself on firearms restrictions Wednesday, saying he supports background checks one day after saying he didn't want to go down the "slippery slope" of eroding gun owners' rights.

Trump confirmed that he discussed background checks with Wayne LaPierre, head of the National Rifle Association, but he disputed news reports that he told LaPierre that background checks were off the table.

“I have an appetite for background checks,” Trump said from the White House South Lawn as he departed for an event in Louisville, Kentucky. “We’re going to be doing background checks. ... We’re going to be filling in some of the loopholes.”

Trump said he wants to get guns out of the hands of the mentally unstable and said he considers mass shootings a public emergency.

“I want guns to be in the hands of people who are mentally stable,” he said.

Tuesday, Trump backed away from supporting stricter gun measures, saying laws were already "very strong."

"We have very strong background checks right now," he said.

Trump emphasized his staunch support for the Second Amendment.

Dr. Detroit
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Dr. Detroit »

My article on due process and red-flag laws at PJ Media:

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/w ... you-think/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Great article^^ thnx :D

UNFORTUNATELY... what decides all this is, CA$H. Ralph is innocent as the day is long but ex-GF red coms him. Police have to do X 'cause law says...

Ralph runs out of CA$H on the way to the 1st hearing

And whatever 'deal' Ralph has to take becomes past practice or whatever it's called

Sooo....60 cases & 5 years later, John gets whacked , gee John sorry, that's the case history

Oh yes. red com. They say red flag, witch is EXACTLY true, the commy flag is really red
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Welp...I missed this one. As skeptical and naybob-ly as I may be...not even I saw these dots connecting via Trump...
The Trump administration is considering a proposal that would use Google, Amazon and Apple to collect data on users who exhibit characteristics of mental illness that could lead to violent behavior, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

The proposal is part of an initiative to create a Health Advanced Research Projects Agency (HARPA), which would be located inside the Health and Human Services Department, the report notes, citing sources inside the administration. The new agency would have a separate budget and the president would be responsible for appointing its director.

SNIP

The document lists several technologies that could be employed to help collect information, including Apple Watches, Amazon Echo and Google Home. Geoffrey Ling, the lead scientific adviser on HARPA, told reporters Thursday the plan would require enormous amounts of data and “scientific rigor.”

He added: “Everybody would be a volunteer. We’re not inventing new science here. We’re analyzing it so we can develop new approaches.” The White House declined to provide the Daily Caller News Foundation with a statement but sources told WaPo that Trump has reacted “very positively” to the proposal — it is unclear if he has seen the Safe Home idea.

Google and Amazon have also not responded to the DCNF’s requests for comment.

Trump said mentally ill people are responsible for the uptick in mass shootings. “I do want people to remember the words ‘mental illness.’ These people are mentally ill. … I think we have to start building institutions again because, you know, if you look at the ’60s and ’70s, so many of these institutions were closed,” he said on Aug. 15. The president has also floated the possibility of supporting background checks.
Have you heard about China’s social credit system? It’s a technology-enabled, surveillance-based nationwide program designed to nudge citizens toward better behavior. The ultimate goal is to “allow the trustworthy to roam everywhere under heaven while making it hard for the discredited to take a single step,” according to the Chinese government.

In place since 2014, the social credit system is a work in progress that could evolve by next year into a single, nationwide point system for all Chinese citizens, akin to a financial credit score. It aims to punish for transgressions that can include membership in or support for the Falun Gong or Tibetan Buddhism, failure to pay debts, excessive video gaming, criticizing the government, late payments, failing to sweep the sidewalk in front of your store or house, smoking or playing loud music on trains, jaywalking, and other actions deemed illegal or unacceptable by the Chinese government.

SNIP

Many Westerners are disturbed by what they read about China’s social credit system. But such systems, it turns out, are not unique to China. A parallel system is developing in the United States, in part as the result of Silicon Valley and technology-industry user policies, and in part by surveillance of social media activity by private companies.

SNIP

Nobody likes antisocial, violent, rude, unhealthy, reckless, selfish, or deadbeat behavior. What’s wrong with using new technology to encourage everyone to behave?

The most disturbing attribute of a social credit system is not that it’s invasive, but that it’s extralegal. Crimes are punished outside the legal system, which means no presumption of innocence, no legal representation, no judge, no jury, and often no appeal. In other words, it’s an alternative legal system where the accused have fewer rights.

Social credit systems are an end-run around the pesky complications of the legal system. Unlike China’s government policy, the social credit system emerging in the U.S. is enforced by private companies. If the public objects to how these laws are enforced, it can’t elect new rule-makers.

An increasing number of societal “privileges” related to transportation, accommodations, communications, and the rates we pay for services (like insurance) are either controlled by technology companies or affected by how we use technology services. And Silicon Valley’s rules for being allowed to use their services are getting stricter.
Remember when people called concealed carry a "privilege"?

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

President Trump rattled Wall Street when he demanded U.S. firms move production out of China. But many have already taken steps to do so, and, in earnings calls just over the past month, dozens of chief executives have signaled plans to further diversify their supply chains amid the intensifying trade war.

On Aug. 23, Trump took to Twitter, ordering American companies to “immediately start looking for an alternative to China” and urging them instead to start making their products in the U.S. In doing so, he cited the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) — passed in 1977 to deal with an “unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, or economy of the United States.” The president’s threat unsettled investors, sending stocks to session lows on a day when the Dow Jones Industrial Average shed more than 600 points.
This looks a bit like leadership, albeit heavy handed.

Where's the leadership on RKBA? Where's the denunciation of Walmart/Krogers/Dicks? Where is the demand on gun free zones?

With all this #Winning...who's looking forward to Trump2020?

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A report on the current state of gun control talks says President Trump and some lawmakers are considering the creation of an app to conduct background checks on private gun sales.

The Hill points to a Washington Post report and says the app “would be connected to the National Instant Criminal Background Checks system that could be used to complete background checks on private gun sales.”

Senate Majority Whip John Thune (R-S.D.) did not like the idea, saying he worries it makes gun owners’ personal data available and/or accessible. Moreover, Thune said he believes the app “would kind of be a de facto registry.”
The pace quickens.
Somehow a registry under a GOP banner is better than under Hillary, right?
I mean, what ARE the alternatives to being used and abused every election cycle, honestly?
I'm not seeing the whole forest, I'm stuck on a tree, yes?
Tinfoil!

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

A Trump administration proposal to expand background checks on firearm sales is already in jeopardy unless President Donald Trump unexpectedly saves it, with the White House distancing itself and the National Rifle Association outright opposing it.

A background checks proposal began circulating on Capitol Hill this week as Attorney General William Barr and other officials met with Senate Republicans to discuss new gun safety plans. But many Republicans hadn’t read the proposal, and they don’t plan to take it seriously unless Trump personally weighs in.

“You don’t need to worry about what’s floating around,” Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said. “We aren’t going to do anything that the president isn’t going to sign anyway.”

When asked about the proposal, Sen. Todd Young (R-Ind.) first asked whether Trump publicly endorsed it as his own.

“Once the president does, I’ll look forward to reviewing it,” Young said.
There you go...if POTUS is all in, the rest of the GOP will follow on his coat tails. (cruz says he's against it, but will likely vote for it...and who cares, all the Dem senators would pass it anyway)

That this is even on the table should be enough to help you vote in 2020, but let's be honest, you're a straight GOP ticket voter, and that's why we've arrived at this moment. No tyrannical clown with the GOP label has ever been refused.

Keep attending those Trump rallies and sending in your campaign contributions.

JonasM

Post by JonasM »

Well - be fair to those who explicitly did NOT say that. Just saw and interview on TV where Lindsey Graham explicitly said that Trumps approval does NOT mean he will approve. It only means he'll look at it.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I decided to look at it Ok I am not in R U happy now.

See, I looked.

And my answer was as predictable as Polaris position in Ursa Minor

And will continue to be.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

For gun owners like me, it’s hard to forget President Trump’s promise on his 99th day in office, proclaiming that President Obama’s “eight year assault” on our Second Amendment rights had come to a “crashing end.” But in the years since Mr. Trump took his seat in the Oval Office, the “eight year assault” of the Obama administration has seemed more like a holiday by comparison. Just this week, the House Judiciary Committee held a hearing on banning assault weapons. Yet, the response from the Republican administration has been deafening silence, leaving millions of American gun owners like myself powerless against the continual assault to our constitutional liberties.

Mr. Trump and the Republican Party at large haven’t done gun owners any favors. The administration has managed to ban possession of “bump stocks” by administrative fiat, making felons out of tens of thousands of gun owners overnight. It also supported state efforts to implement red flag laws, restrict the gun rights of young adults, and threatened gun owners with domestic surveillance and unconstitutional seizures. So much for that “crashing end” to the assault on the Second Amendment.

Mr. Obama’s administration, on the other hand, relaxed prohibitions on carrying firearms on federal land, and made it easier for people to acquire NFA items like suppressors and machine guns. Of course, it wasn’t all good. The administration also cracked down on homemade firearms and tightened some import restrictions.

SNIP

What we need is for our government to respect our lives and liberty. Mr. Trump claims to be the champion of ordinary Americans. If he really means this, he could direct the ATF to roll back any one of the absurd regulations that are irrationally restricting the rights of Americans. Things like George H.W. Bush’s “sporting purposes test” — which keep effective, inexpensive arms out of the reach of ordinary Americans — are long overdue to be repealed. If we ever have a president who cares about the Second Amendment, he or she will actually work to restore our rights, not ever-so-slowly remove them while we aren’t paying attention.

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Gun laws never work as promised to bring about a more peaceful society. Gun laws merely spur the growth of black markets. What was once legal becomes illegal. And that leads to problems for us, in politically expedient, Democrat-sponsored, new laws that soon appear.

Even if our President signs a compromise bill, it will be as nothing to what the Democrats will pass the next cycle, if we weaken the Republican party and help the Democrats win.

We will not cooperate with confiscatory laws, but we will accept creeping criminality before we disarm.

In the past, we have met confiscatory gun laws with civil resistance. We will never compromise with the left and their lies. But we may be forced by them to slide down the slope of criminality.

This scenario need not occur if our President retains control, no matter what happens in DC.

President Trump thinks he can make a deal that will work.
He didn't even bother with the SCOTUS making his MUST. VOTE. TRUMP. argument.
Uh...the 8 years of the Obama Administration was better for RKBA than the nearly 3 years of Trump have been (and DJT had a GOP Congress/SCOTUS for first 2 of those years).
We won't cooperate with confiscatory laws? 17 states have ERPOs...seem to be going smoothly.

Never compromise? That's all we do.

The #Winning Koolaide is strong.

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

If Trump, running for re-election,were to win a second four-year term next year, he potentially would be able to replace both Ginsburg and Breyer, leaving the court with a rock-solid 7-2 conservative majority, possibly for decades to come. That could mean a rightward shift on numerous matters including abortion restrictions, expanding gun rights, blunting the advance of LGBT rights, maintaining the death penalty and bolstering the interests of corporations.
Maybe you'd get a new Roe, Reuters!

Chief Justice
Warren E. Burger (Nixon R)
Associate Justices
William O. Douglas (FDR -D)
· William J. Brennan Jr. (Dwight D. Eisenhower- R)
Potter Stewart (DDE -R)
Byron White ( JFK-D)
Thurgood Marshall (LBJ-D)
· Harry Blackmun (Nixon-R)
Lewis F. Powell Jr. (Nixon-R)
· William Rehnquist (Nixon-R)

That's 4 Nixons and a total of 6 total Rs
Three...yes, just 3, D's.

Ironically, White (D) and Rehnquist (R) dissented in the 7-2 opinion.
Straight Ticket Salvation!