My Carry didn't fire...

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: My Carry didn't fire...

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Thanks . :(
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Could just remove the thumb safety..

https://mp-pistol.com/mp-full-size-pist ... afety.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can't get the plugs for free from S&W they are cheap in their online store.

https://store.smith-wesson.com/frame-pl ... left-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://store.smith-wesson.com/frame-pl ... ight-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Bruenor wrote:Could just remove the thumb safety..

https://mp-pistol.com/mp-full-size-pist ... afety.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can't get the plugs for free from S&W they are cheap in their online store.

https://store.smith-wesson.com/frame-pl ... left-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://store.smith-wesson.com/frame-pl ... ight-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bought a new one w/o safety.. Thanks
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

sodbuster95 wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:The safety was engaged.....
Don't have to be old to make this mistake. For a long time, I carried a 1911. While I love my 1911, I decided a while ago that I need more rounds, so I switched to a Glock 19. "Safety" to "No-Safety" is an easy change (worst case, I flick off a non-existent safety.) Going the other direction could create a problem, though, if that muscle memory isn't re-learned.

Yeah, I was weaned on my grandfather's 1911 from Korea era. I now have Glocks and find myself using my thumb to flip a non-existent safety.
I know it is not there, but old habits in old (not too ugly) people.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

None of my handguns have safety's for that very reason. No possible confusion.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

I also have had to face the age problem, and as an old guy i favor a firearm that has no safety such as a Glock. That way i have one in the chamber and it is ready to go. Not much difference from the old S&W revolver that i loved so much. Now i also do recommend that old ammo be shot at the range and new ammo used to replace old ammo often. In the past i have had various guns from 22's to 38's to 9mm's fail to fire because of old ammo. No reason not to refresh from time ti time in a carry gun.
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Know manual of arms and operate them fully. Short change any part of it, and this can/will happen to you.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
CCWman

Post by CCWman »

Yikes
Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

Many years ago long before the c.c.w. law i had purchased an A.M.T. 380 back-up. I also made the mistake of trying to
fire the weapon with the "Safety" on. I tried more than once and at that time i was able to damage the part that
will allow the pistol to fire and then with the safety on or off, either way, it would not fire.
At that time i thought that type of pistol it would be much better off with no safety at all.
i have several items now that are available for my use and none have a manual safety. One of them happens to be
a Glock .
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!
Gauri

Post by Gauri »

sodbuster95 wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:The safety was engaged.....
Don't have to be old to make this mistake. For a long time, I carried a 1911. While I love my 1911, I decided a while ago that I need more rounds, so I switched to a Glock 19. "Safety" to "No-Safety" is an easy change (worst case, I flick off a non-existent safety.) Going the other direction could create a problem, though, if that muscle memory isn't re-learned.
I agree even young people can do the same thing.
skylinechiliboi

Post by skylinechiliboi »

Never had to fire my carry in an emergency or tactical situation. But if I've learned anything throughout life...it's to trust my gear. I shoot with it enough to understand my weapon and feel comfortable with it. And that's good enough for me, I don't want to jeopardize my confidence with my CCW with thoughts of failure.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

I carry condition 3.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

weakhand luke wrote:I carry condition 3.
Why? There's a lot of things that can and will prevent you from chambering a round.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

jeep45238 wrote:
weakhand luke wrote:I carry condition 3.
Why? There's a lot of things that can and will prevent you from chambering a round.
My thoughts always go back to the guy who was jumped [in Dayton?] while pumping gas by two morons he'd never met.

By his own admission, had he not been carrying with one in the chamber, they'd have prevailed over him and ended up with his gun.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

...with an empty chamber.