Another carry on gun found at Dayton airport

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Another carry on gun found at Dayton airport

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/gun-fou ... 6c6HIeWvJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAYTON — TSA agents found a loaded gun in a passenger’s carry-on bag at Dayton International Airport checkpoint early Monday morning.

Agents discovered the Ruger .380 caliber handgun around 4:30 a.m., according to a TSA press release.
Airport police responded and spoke to the man, who said he didn’t know how the gun got into his bag, despite packing the bag himself, according to a Dayton police report.

He also reportedly said he hadn’t seen the gun in two months and last used his luggage around Thanksgiving.

The man has an Ohio concealed carry license and the gun had not been reported as stolen, according to the report.

Police allowed the man to take the gun back to the car and gave him a verbal warning.

The man could still face fines from TSA.

“Passengers are responsible for the contents of bags they bring to the checkpoint,” said Mark Howell, TSA regional spokesperson. “Our advice is to look through bags thoroughly before coming to the airport to make sure there are no illegal or prohibited items.”

This is the fourth gun found by TSA agents at a Dayton Airport security checkpoint in 2019.
Nine were discovered in 2018, according to the TSA.
High Power

Re: Another carry on gun found at Dayton airport

Post by High Power »

The thing that gets me about some of these stories is that nobody bothers to explore the theory that someone may have planted the gun in the luggage.

In other words, an angry girlfriend/boyfriend or spouse knows the traveler has a gun and knows where it is before they leave for the trip.

At the last minute, the angry partner puts the gun in the luggage without the traveler knowing about it. And voilà, the traveler is caught, charged and convicted of a felony.

I'm not saying this happens in every instance but when this happens to someone who has never had any problems in the past and isn't usually negligent, the theory should be considered. I've had enough girlfriends and ex-wives mad enough at me to try this.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Wait...TSA has the authority to impose "civil fines"? I was not aware of that.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

High Power wrote:The thing that gets me about some of these stories is that nobody bothers to explore the theory that someone may have planted the gun in the luggage.

In other words, an angry girlfriend/boyfriend or spouse knows the traveler has a gun and knows where it is before they leave for the trip.

"Tell it to the judge"
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Glock Rock wrote:
High Power wrote:The thing that gets me about some of these stories is that nobody bothers to explore the theory that someone may have planted the gun in the luggage.

"Tell it to the judge"
That's why they ask you if anyone has placed anything in your luggage without your knowledge. Dumb question and most people answer it with "no" instead of "How the heck would I know if they did it without my knowledge."
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Cruel joke on the {inappropriate language} off wife's part?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

sodbuster95 wrote:Wait...TSA has the authority to impose "civil fines"? I was not aware of that.
Same here, I’m curious as to what grants them that authority..
High Power

Post by High Power »

schmieg wrote:
Glock Rock wrote:

"Tell it to the judge"
That's why they ask you if anyone has placed anything in your luggage without your knowledge. Dumb question and most people answer it with "no" instead of "How the heck would I know if they did it without my knowledge."
Exactly! Some people will resort to anything to cause trouble for someone else. They don't care if the victim is jailed or killed.

Imagine how bad the situation could become if there is any sort of miscommunication or misunderstanding and armed LEOs are called to the scene and their weapons are drawn.

I don't have any evidence to back this up but I suspect that the planting of contraband in an unwary traveler's carry-on luggage happens more than we realize.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

High Power wrote:
schmieg wrote:
Glock Rock wrote:"Tell it to the judge"
Exactly! Some people will resort to anything to cause trouble for someone else. They don't care if the victim is jailed or killed.

Imagine how bad the situation could become if there is any sort of miscommunication or misunderstanding and armed LEOs are called to the scene and their weapons are drawn.

I don't have any evidence to back this up but I suspect that the planting of contraband in an unwary traveler's carry-on luggage happens more than we realize.
Don't know what the situation is now, but it's probably worse. In the 60's and 70's, we were always concerned if we drove over to Juarez to spend a day because drug smugglers would pick a gringo's car and stick drugs to the underside, then follow the car back over the border to pick up the drugs at a later time when the car was parked. If the drugs were found at the border, the gringo took the heat, though they usually got off because the procedure was well known by the Customs people.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand