UBC ballot initiative filed with Ohio Attorney General

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

UBC ballot initiative filed with Ohio Attorney General

Post by rickt »

Today, Ohioans for Gun Safety announced they have filed a ballot initiative with the Ohio Attorney General's office to close loopholes in Ohio's background check law.

The grassroots organization is now working to collect enough signatures to get the proposal on the ballot, aiming for 2020 or 2021.
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-he ... -check-law

http://ohioansforgunsafety.com/language/
djthomas

Re: UBC ballot initiative filed with Ohio Attorney General

Post by djthomas »

Interestingly they include an exception for transferring to a person who has a CHL. I don't think I've seen any UBC proposals anywhere in the nation with that provision.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

djthomas wrote:Interestingly they include an exception for transferring to a person who has a CHL. I don't think I've seen any UBC proposals anywhere in the nation with that provision.
Probably did that so they could win over CHL holders. The way this is written, I would think if they got it on the ballot they would win.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

They obviously do not know how many arms are covered as "C&R".
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

The act would contain some exceptions, including gun transfers between family members, transfers of antiques, transfers specifically for hunting and transfers for repairs.
So for example, if I wanted to hunt coyotes I could get an AR rifle from my neighbor without a background check?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

M-Quigley wrote:
The act would contain some exceptions, including gun transfers between family members, transfers of antiques, transfers specifically for hunting and transfers for repairs.
So for example, if I wanted to hunt coyotes I could get an AR rifle from my neighbor without a background check?
Yup. So between that, the CHL exemption, and the C&R exemption, they pretty much cover probably 80% of standard gun transfers. Which is why I think if they get the signatures, it would have a good chance of passing a ballot measure even though at face value the bill still does nothing to stop criminal activity.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Ballot initiatives are not cheap. I wonder what kind of funding they have?

https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_measure_ ... osts,_2018
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

rickt wrote:Ballot initiatives are not cheap. I wonder what kind of funding they have?

https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_measure_ ... osts,_2018
Bloomfield & Soros.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/ ... on-drives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Backers of a proposed citizen-initiated law to require background checks for most gun sales will have to restart their efforts after Attorney General Dave Yost rejected their proposed ballot summary on Thursday.

Yost, a Columbus-area Republican, wrote in a rejection letter to Ohioans For Gun Safety that their proposed summary language – a succinct explanation of the proposal provided to voters asked to sign a petition supporting the measure -- inaccurately stated that their measure would apply to all firearms sales. In fact, their proposal, as written, would not require federally licensed gun dealers to undergo background checks before purchasing such weapons.

Yost also stated that the submitted summary language didn’t note a number of exceptions included in the group’s proposal. Background checks would not apply in a number of cases, including gifts of firearms between family members, sales of antique guns, temporarily giving someone a gun to use for hunting or at a shooting range, or giving over a gun to get it repaired.

Yost’s rejection means Ohioans For Gun Safety has to revise their summary language, collect another 1,500 signatures from registered voters, and resubmit their proposal to the attorney general’s office.
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2019/06/ ... sales.html
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

That's good ^^ news

This group has tried all this b4

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90397&p=4379812&hil ... y#p4379821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Related, in a way: Lately I've encountered FFL dealers who went back to "calling in" firearms purchases for everyone, including NICS-compliant CHL holders. Long story short, our legislators need to start holding the judicial branch accountable for not keeping their records up to date. Gun shops don't like having the feds or local police coming in weeks later and saying "You shouldn't have sold that gun to him/her."

In Kentucky, all carry licenses are rechecked by the state police, every 30 days. And they send officers out to seize said licenses in a fairly swift manner when appropriate.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Brian D. wrote:In Kentucky, all carry licenses are rechecked by the state police, every 30 days. And they send officers out to seize said licenses in a fairly swift manner when appropriate.
Woah, a background check every 30 days? That sounds like a 4th Amendment violation, but then, the whole scheme sounds like that to me. Who even knows what a general warrant is, or cares?
Maybe we'll get to the point where we can attempt to prosecute people each and every day, with bigger and better computers...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well bignflnut, if you ever move to Kentucky, don't get one of their concealed carry licenses if those frequent background checks don't suit you. It'll be a moot point there soon anyway, as "Constitutional carry" is set to kick in there next month, I think. Might be sooner, their General Assembly does stuff at a blindingly fast pace compared to ours.

Meanwhile, Ohio's county clerk's are doing a lousy job keeping criminal records anything close to up-to-date.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A group seeking to expand background checks on gun purchases in Ohio has resubmitted language to the state attorney general’s office, an early step in a process that eventually could place the measure on the ballot for voter approval.

Officials with Ohioans for Gun Safety, which describes itself as a grassroots group, said Tuesday they had sent more than 1,700 signatures, plus revised language describing the proposed law change, to Attorney General Dave Yost’s office.
https://www.cleveland.com/open/2019/07/ ... -ohio.html