Places with no carry rules but no sign

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bumstead

Re: Places with no carry rules but no sign

Post by bumstead »

I think most of us know if we are not in some type of work that requires a weapon to preform our job duties the answer to this question is - NO YOUR BOSS WILL NOT LET YOU BRING YOUR GUN TO WORK. That is why this question comes up on this board. Most know they could get in a bad position for asking a question of this nature at their place of employment and the next time their looking for someone to cut, guess what? That's why we don't talk to the boss about it
Bottom line, if you like your job - don't do anything to jeopardize it. If your don't care about the job and don't want to discuss the subject of bringing your gun to work with your boss to find out if its OK, Its your decision on the level of protection you need to take what ever steps you are comfortable with not what someone on the internet thinks. You already know with your decision you are taking the risk that you know exist. Loose lips sink ships, is all I will tell ya.
I like to believe that the Gov. is on the side of law abiding citizens, Really I like to believe that - I just wish it was true.
ElBurroLoco

Post by ElBurroLoco »

Thanks for all the replies. That's all helpful info.
RebelGal

Post by RebelGal »

JediSkipdogg wrote: The last location is not criminal but puts your employment at risk. If it's in the employee handbook it cannot apply to you as criminal unless it's "a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises...." The employee handbook only would then be between you and your employer. Since Ohio is an at will employment state, they can fire you for your firearm on their property if the guidebook prohibits it. Actually, they can fire you even if it doesn't. The good rule of thumb is don't talk about it at work.
This is of interest to me. I currently work in retail at a stand-alone store and as a manager get out late when all of the other stores in our strip mall are closed - usually around 10-10:30. I decided to carry several weeks ago as I am now back into firearms carry and such. I noticed last evening that there is a reference in our employee handbook that states it is a work violation of a greater kind if in possession of a firearm on company property - actions are final improvement discussion and then termination. I was curious if P.D. Could potentially be involved with this but it seems not, just corporate. BTW there are no posted signs anywhere.

I think that I am going to keep carrying and say nothing... my firearm resides in my purse and it is in a locked office. It is subject to search but I do not see that happening. Thoughts?
SIG P229 SAS Gen 2, Glock 19 Gen 4, SIG P365
Member NRA, USCCA

Sic semper tyrannis
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

RebelGal wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote: The last location is not criminal but puts your employment at risk. If it's in the employee handbook it cannot apply to you as criminal unless it's "a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises...." The employee handbook only would then be between you and your employer. Since Ohio is an at will employment state, they can fire you for your firearm on their property if the guidebook prohibits it. Actually, they can fire you even if it doesn't. The good rule of thumb is don't talk about it at work.
This is of interest to me. I currently work in retail at a stand-alone store and as a manager get out late when all of the other stores in our strip mall are closed - usually around 10-10:30. I decided to carry several weeks ago as I am now back into firearms carry and such. I noticed last evening that there is a reference in our employee handbook that states it is a work violation of a greater kind if in possession of a firearm on company property - actions are final improvement discussion and then termination. I was curious if P.D. Could potentially be involved with this but it seems not, just corporate. BTW there are no posted signs anywhere.

I think that I am going to keep carrying and say nothing... my firearm resides in my purse and it is in a locked office. It is subject to search but I do not see that happening. Thoughts?
Welcome to OFCC
I would say carry as long as you are not violating any law's. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If you value your life more then your job , we won’t tell anyone you are carrying ..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

And as a general rule, don't talk guns with coworkers.*

* That's a whole different topic. In some workplaces, it would never come back to bite you in the rump. But those are the exception, sad to say
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Brian D. wrote:In some workplaces, it would never come back to bite you in the rump. But those are the exception, sad to say
And, even if your work place is safe right now, you're only one or two new co-workers or re-orgs away from it being an unsafe place. Good luck unringing the bell on everything everybody already knows when the prevailing winds shift.