Vances, do they accept CCW in lieu of NICS ?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Vances, do they accept CCW in lieu of NICS ?

Post by Brian D. »

Cruiser wrote:Exactly why my Sheriff does a complete background check for CHL renewals that takes up to ten days. No same day Renewals in Mercer County!
Yeah, but does he redo that check at any point before the next renewal? Of course not. So when he hands you the license, yes, you're squeaky clean. But after that?

Apparently the Kentucky State Police rerun the background check on every CDW* license issued, every thirty days I think. How they manage to do that, no idea.

*Concealed Deadly Weapons, meaning no problems with having knives and other potential defensive tools on your person. However, you have to take the practical test with a handgun. (I always thought a qualification standard test for something like a set of throwing stars would be entertaining.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

WY_Not has nailed it if we are discussing the original question.

Vance's has two goals... selling guns and NOT losing their FFL. As Vance's is huge and does serious volume, and a decent bit of that volume is urban clientele, you can bet that the BATFE keeps extremely close tabs on ebery sale that Vance's makes.

This is why Vance's earned a well known reputation for being a stickler with the hand written form. Their computer entry system now reduces much of that hassle.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Sevens wrote:WY_Not has nailed it if we are discussing the original question.

Vance's has two goals... selling guns and NOT losing their FFL. As Vance's is huge and does serious volume, and a decent bit of that volume is urban clientele, you can bet that the BATFE keeps extremely close tabs on ebery sale that Vance's makes.

This is why Vance's earned a well known reputation for being a stickler with the hand written form. Their computer entry system now reduces much of that hassle.
Vances is one of the largest volume gun dealers in Middle America. Hard to believe given how physically small the store is. They get a lot of trace requests. Some people make the jump that lots of trace requests means they sell to criminals. Those people are wrong. The city of Columbus hated them but can't do anything because they aren't in Columbus.
Batfe has agents assigned to cover Vances. They have to be hyper vigilant because there is a pressure to close them down.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

The thing is, I don't see how following BATFE guidance puts their FFL at risk. If they follow the rules (and we know they are capable of following rules to a "t"), and check that the CHL was issued on or after March 23, 2015, (and I think I'd be inclined to photocopy both the CHL and DL for my records), what is the risk?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Because it is no longer about the rule of law in this country. It is all about public opinion and politicians and special interest groups gathering more power unto themselves. One only has to look at the nonsense commonly called "Red Flag Laws" and the banning of the bump stock. What is right and proper no longer matters; it is who can scream, insinuate, and intimidate.
JustaShooter wrote:The thing is, I don't see how following BATFE guidance puts their FFL at risk. If they follow the rules (and we know they are capable of following rules to a "t"), and check that the CHL was issued on or after March 23, 2015, (and I think I'd be inclined to photocopy both the CHL and DL for my records), what is the risk?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

JustaShooter wrote:The thing is, I don't see how following BATFE guidance puts their FFL at risk. If they follow the rules (and we know they are capable of following rules to a "t"), and check that the CHL was issued on or after March 23, 2015, (and I think I'd be inclined to photocopy both the CHL and DL for my records), what is the risk?
There is some perception that the CCW is "less than" a NICS check. Obviously most of us do not feel that is true. One thing using NICS allows is for them to NEVER issue a proceed or deny. Some stores being extra vigilant will NOT sell that person a gun without a "proceed". This allows FBI NICS to nullify that persons RKBA rights. When I had my FFL this happened with one customer, NICS never ever issued a proceed or deny. I waited the proper amount of time and then gave him his gun.

If he had a an Ohio CHL NICS and the store accepted that they could not get away with that. I wonder if they are trying to pull the "forever delay" with some CHL applicants ?? I would think we would hear about it if they were.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

The choice is made for them by their lawyers basically. They use a service that protects them in legal cases and that service defines they must do a full NICS check each time, rather then accept a CHL.

It wouldnt matter if they were in Columbus (they are in Clinton Township) because the city could do nothing against them anymore.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Why shop there anyway? There are a couple of really good small gun shops in the Columbus area who have better service... If they get to know you they will likely choose to accept your CHL instead of calling NICS.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

techguy85 wrote:Why shop there anyway? There are a couple of really good small gun shops in the Columbus area who have better service... If they get to know you they will likely choose to accept your CHL instead of calling NICS.
I am actually going to buy them online and have the gun shipped up here for another $19.99.

Pretty much IMHO they have the biggest selection and lowest price (for stuff on sale) that I see anywhere.

I can order from them, have shipped up here, pay local FFL fee and still save money. Locals do not have exactly what I want in stock, and cannot order exactly what I am ordering from Vance's. Their sale prices are cheaper than or equal to the wholesale prices smaller FFL get shopping the distro that cater to smaller FFL.

Bill
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Got the order placed so I can provide details now :-).

Springfield Armory did a promo with some XD pistols that included 5 magazines, it was not a "send in to SA and get your mags" deal the mags were packaged with the gun and you get them when you buy the gun. 3 extra mags are worth around $100. Vance's had the gun I wanted which included the 3 extra magazines.

Bill