CCW letter in the mail today.......

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Redlion64

CCW letter in the mail today.......

Post by Redlion64 »

Hello everyone , Today I received a letter from Mahoning country sheriff. It states “ it has come to the attention of the undersigned that your license to carry a concealed weapon is not valid and will be formally revoked in 30 days from the date of this letter” with no other explanation. I’ve had a ccw since 2012 and renewed my permit on 12/29/17. I’ve had zero arrests tickets or issues in my life. Last speeding ticket was in 1999. I’m very confused by the letter and hoping maybe someone has had a similar letter in the past or could help me understand this. Could the office think my permit has expired? Thanks in adnavce for your help on this matter.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CCW letter in the mail today.......

Post by JustaShooter »

Since you have no issues in your past, the only things that come to mind are either there was an issue with the instructor you took your class from (there have been several in the news recently) or a case of mistaken identity. Since there is no explanation in the letter (which seems odd, and unprofessional) I'd suggest contacting the concealed carry applications clerk at the sheriff's office on Monday morning to find out why they believe your license is not valid.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Redlion64

Post by Redlion64 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I found it extremely odd also that it doesn’t give a reason why it’s being revoked. Also it was sent regular mail not certified. I went thru the training course over six years ago. I did a google search on the instructor and any possible issues but nothing came up. I’ll give the Mahoning County sheriff office a call Monday to find out what’s going on.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'd call such a letter downright RUDE. The reason for this action must be one of the things JustaShooter listed. Either way, they need to explain better. WAY better.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Redlion64

Post by Redlion64 »

I agree very unprofessional. The fact that the letter was sent thru standard mail
( not certified) with zero explanation is crazy to me. Simply says to contact the Mahoning County sheriff ASAP. It’s been over six years since my training course. Seems odd if the instructor was in question the initial application and my renewal 5 years later would have been an issue a long time ago. I’ll post the sheriffs response tomorrow.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Letter? What letter?
Redlion64 wrote:I agree very unprofessional. The fact that the letter was sent thru standard mail ( not certified) with zero explanation is crazy to me. Simply says to contact the Mahoning County sheriff ASAP. It’s been over six years since my training course. Seems odd if the instructor was in question the initial application and my renewal 5 years later would have been an issue a long time ago. I’ll post the sheriffs response tomorrow.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Redlion64

Post by Redlion64 »

Update: Turns out approx 271 permits will be revoked due to the instructor not being certified during the time of the certificates being signed. I guess it took over six years for this to come to light. The sheriff instructed me to sign up for another class within 30 days, bring the new sign certificate to the office, then my CCW will be recognized again.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Well at least it sounds like a easy fix.
Even though you do have to invest time & money, but look at it as a refresher course.
Don't feel bad if the name slips out that failed you in such a manner, this way others can be informed of a potential issue now or in the future.
BOB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Redlion64 wrote:Update: Turns out approx 271 permits will be revoked due to the instructor not being certified during the time of the certificates being signed. I guess it took over six years for this to come to light. The sheriff instructed me to sign up for another class within 30 days, bring the new sign certificate to the office, then my CCW will be recognized again.
Please publish the name of the instructor, and if you know them, the range of dates that certificates are affected.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Letter? What letter?
That would be the letter that lets you know if you don't do anything that your license will be pulled in 30 days, whether or not you read it.
NRA Life Member

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Sarcasm aside... then it needs to be sent certified. Kinda like jury summons. Kinda BS that the Sheriff sent something that important via standard mail.
JustaShooter wrote:
That would be the letter that lets you know if you don't do anything that your license will be pulled in 30 days, whether or not you read it.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Sarcasm aside... then it needs to be sent certified. Kinda like jury summons. Kinda BS that the Sheriff sent something that important via standard mail.
Completely agree. Likewise the revocation letter (assuming they send one...).

As an aside, this is a *really* good reason to make sure you update your address when you move...
NRA Life Member

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I guess I consider this to be a courtesy letter. ORC 2923.128 requires that a licensee be sent a certified letter advising that their license will be revoked in 14 days during which time they can contest the revocation. There's nothing in the law that requires anything to be sent with 30 days' notice.

Certified mail is expensive ... if the sheriff can get people to take action with a standard letter that gives them an extra 16 days and saves postage more power to him.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

IF the Instructor claimed to be an NRA certified Instructor I would make contact with them about it. I suppose there is some possibility that more then one Instructor was present in the classes and the NRA might have that info if they were classes where an NRA certificate was issued.

When we did CCW classes the affidavit we gave each student with their NRA certificate had my wife and my NRA creds printed onto the affidavit itself on the bottom.

That individual needs to be SUED in civil court with all 270 some people included in the lawsuit. If 270 some CCW were revoked in that ONE county there well may be other students who were wronged too in other counties, or who never applied for CCW.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

http://www.wfmj.com/story/39974773/excl ... ing-valley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB