travel to Austin Texas

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

stew47

travel to Austin Texas

Post by stew47 »

hello everyone. end of the month I'm flying to Austin tx and staying at the att convention center. first time in Texas and first time flying with firearm.
here's what I know:
texas ok with reciprocity since I renewed last in 2017
I bought a small pelican box and will buy a lock
ill download and print Southwest Airlines and tsa regs and carry with me
att center doesn't show anything about prohibiting firearms

what I don't know...
the place is surrounded by university of Texas - Austin property. should be ok since im not going in a building and Texas has campus carry but... any traps?
anything im missing?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: travel to Austin Texas

Post by schmieg »

Just watch out for the 30.06 signs. Austin is pretty left leaning for Texas and you will probably find a few there. While Texas has campus carry, I do believe that it is still illegal to have the gun visible while on campus, at least knowingly which is always a grey area. Texas hotels have to post prohibitions on their websites, so, if you saw nothing there, you are probably good to go. Don't drink while carrying and keep aware of the 51% rule for restaurants and bars.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

schmieg wrote:Just watch out for the 30.06 signs. Austin is pretty left leaning for Texas and you will probably find a few there. While Texas has campus carry, I do believe that it is still illegal to have the gun visible while on campus, at least knowingly which is always a grey area. Texas hotels have to post prohibitions on their websites, so, if you saw nothing there, you are probably good to go. Don't drink while carrying and keep aware of the 51% rule for restaurants and bars.
As far as 30.06 goes, Texas now also has a 30.07 sign which pertains to open carry. Other than a few words the signs are identical. If a premises wishes to totally prohibit handguns they must post both signs in English and Spanish. If you see just one sign take a gander - in all likelihood it will be a 30.07 which means concealed carry is still allowed. Even in liberal Austin I don't recall seeing that many 30.06 signs but I heard a fair number of 30.07s popped up after open carry was legalized.

Texas has also differentiated their penalties for 30.06/30.07 violations. If you ignore the sign it's our equivalent of a minor misdemeanor. If you are outed and asked to leave and refuse it becomes a class A misdemeanor which is pretty serious. Not really a trap but just know that if you're in a private establishment and somehow get made and asked to leave you should do so immediately or risk an automatic penalty escalation. Don't argue, don't claim you didn't see a sign (even if none was posted), just apologize and beat feet.

The 51% rule isn't too bad. The way they do the calculations if the place has any kind of real table food service they probably are not going to be 51%. Furthermore there is now an affirmative defense in their 51% law that allows you to claim a defense if the 51% sign is not posted at the entrance to the establishment (as required by the sign rules) so the days of risking legal ambush by walking into a place and not seeing the 51% sign until you walk past the back bar by the restroom are pretty much over.

If you've got time and want the experience of feeling like a VIP go to the statehouse. They have metal detectors but will let someone with a CHL carry. Once you get over that cheap thrill it's a pretty interesting building in its own right and worth the time to walk through.
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

Take a look at the Texas3006 app. It is pretty handy. We're in Texas quite often and I use it. The Texas 30.06 website is also a great resource.
stew47

Post by stew47 »

Thanks so much everyone. I travel a good bit and always carry where I can but the flying things seems to add anxiety! Which is a shame.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Heh heh, now you just GOTTA stop for a visit at the Austin City Hall while armed, and see if they've changed their unlawful ways..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Last time I was in TX, when a niece got married, about ten years ago, I saw only ONE 30.06 sign, and a few Federal signs. ALL were inside DFW, after I'd gotten through their Security. I don't think that I'd have gotten in at all, but I wasn't carrying :) .... The huge 30.06 was adjacent to a bar - I forget whose. The "Federal" signs were on the gate's desk across the hall. The big one probably was corporate policy - the Federal signs on the gate, I don't know, but I think they're invalid in TX anyway. Waste of good cardboard....

Up the road from DFW, I spotted one of those "you'd better have a license" signs in a restaurant.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

SMMAssociates wrote:Last time I was in TX, when a niece got married, about ten years ago, I saw only ONE 30.06 sign, and a few Federal signs. ALL were inside DFW, after I'd gotten through their Security. I don't think that I'd have gotten in at all, but I wasn't carrying :) .... The huge 30.06 was adjacent to a bar - I forget whose. The "Federal" signs were on the gate's desk across the hall. The big one probably was corporate policy - the Federal signs on the gate, I don't know, but I think they're invalid in TX anyway. Waste of good cardboard....

Up the road from DFW, I spotted one of those "you'd better have a license" signs in a restaurant.

Regards,
I was down there two years ago and I saw a surprising number of them at gas stations, both brand name and off-brand. I still managed to find enough gas stations that didn't post that I didn't have problems keeping the Jeep filled.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

schmieg wrote:I was down there two years ago and I saw a surprising number of them at gas stations, both brand name and off-brand. I still managed to find enough gas stations that didn't post that I didn't have problems keeping the Jeep filled.
06s or 07s?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

djthomas wrote:
schmieg wrote:I was down there two years ago and I saw a surprising number of them at gas stations, both brand name and off-brand. I still managed to find enough gas stations that didn't post that I didn't have problems keeping the Jeep filled.
06s or 07s?
Both.
-- Mike