Questionnaire for new CHL Applications?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Scorpion

Questionnaire for new CHL Applications?

Post by Scorpion »

Hi,

I just renewed my CHL in Lake County earlier this week and while I was there, a new CHL applicant or two that were there at the same time were asked to fill out a survey or questionnaire of some sort about the training class they attended. Anyone have to do this our heard about this?

Never heard of this and not sure if it's mandatory with the application or what.
djthomas

Re: Questionnaire for new CHL Applications?

Post by djthomas »

There's been a couple threads here and news stories as well about phony instructors out in Lake County. I think some arrests have been made but a ton of people who used one of the phonies were given letters to come in with a redone training cert or lose their licenses, although technically the students could be charged with a felony if they knowingly skimped on the training. Long and short of it is people were paying for courses that did not meet the legal minimums, even though the certificates claimed otherwise.

This is probably tied to that. Either they're still investigating or they are doing due diligence on the instructors whose certificates applicants are proffering. As to whether this is mandatory I'm going to go with probably. Although Ohio is a shall issue state, that's only when the sheriff is satisfied that the requirements set forth in the statute have been met. The sheriff has the inherent authority to make sure he's been given a legitimate certificate.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Here's a link to one of those threads.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

I guess my concern is although I never skimp on the training I provide for my students, everything meets and usually exceeds the minimum requirements. But a student checks the wrong box or something and they're denied (heard of that happening over confusion about the written test that was properly given) or I get a visit from the Lake Co sheriff's department and have to deal with the grief of proving my classes meet the legal requirements.

I don't have an issue with weeding out bad instructors and especially those either not properly credentialed or not providing the minimum required training but I don't want these questionnaires to become almost a back door way to deny a CHL if they don't like their answers or if there's confusion over what is asked on the questionnaire vs what was actually covered in class.

If anyone has seen the questions that are on this questionnaire I'd love to hear what they are. That way I can give my students a heads up and reduce the chances of them being confused about anything.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Scorpion- When I was going through this process, it was for renewals only. And they were really focused only on this one bad actor/instructor.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If you want to know what's on the questionnaire, ask for a copy.

I would only have an issue if they are making the questionnaire mandatory.
MyWifeSaidYes
Pattaxoxo2

Post by Pattaxoxo2 »

it was for renewals only. And they were really focused only on this one bad actor/instructor.
Gclub Slot
Ruby888