Yer Favorite .22 pistol

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

lar1

Re: Yer Favorite .22 pistol

Post by lar1 »

ruger slab side mark II. I would like to purchase a mark IV but they are pricey. I hope they come down a bit after awhile.
dingode

Post by dingode »

I have a Ruger MKI target, MKII Competition, MKIII 22/45 Lite, SR-22, .22 GP-100 and an S&W Victory. I think that's all of them :D

Most favorite is the MKI Target, it's just a great gun and I shoot it very good.
Second is a tie between the Victory and the MKII, both are great accurate guns.
Third would be the .22 GP-100 (4"barrel) and as I shoot it more it may move up the list.
and last would be the SR-22. I bought it for the kids years ago because they were small at the time and it fit their small hands. They've grown up now though and can hold the bigger guns and I hardly ever shoot it. I'll probably trade it off when the opportunity presents itself.

Everything but the MKII and SR-22 wears a red dot.

If I had to start fresh I'd look for another MKII, they are just great guns and I don't find the teardown and reassembly that hard. The second choice would be the new Ruger MKIV or another S&W Victory with the Victory having the edge just because it has a better trigger pull out of the box and won't require $50 of Volquartsen parts to make it usable.

Sooner or later an S&W 617 will be added to the stable too to keep the GP company.

Edited to add that if you get a Victory and order the Tandemkross Victory trigger for it, do yourself a favor and order an extra plunger and spring along with the trigger. For just a couple of dollars it's cheap insurance if the one included in the kit goes flying during install (and it probably will). Ask me how I know this.... Best thing is to do that step in a gallon ziploc bag to retain the flying plunger and spring.
bigfish85

Post by bigfish85 »

Have owned quite a few and if want a semi auto 22lr to actually function, go with a Ruger Mark II. Some say they're a pain to clean, but it just takes a few times to get the hang of it. I have no trouble anymore.

Walther P22 - had an original that wouldn't feed for anything. Pile of crap. Sold it.

Smith M&P 22. - terrible POI shift when going from can to no can. Also had a ton a FTFs with cheap ammo. Sold it.

Ruger Mark III 22/45 Lite - was ok, but you need some aftermarket parts to get it to really run right. The Ruger lawyers ruined it with the LCI and mag disconnect. Sold it.

I've had a few Mark IIs and each runs like a top.

Single six is a nice, safe choice for training.

I might be missing a couple that I've owned, but those Mark IIs have been clear winners. Just my two cents.
Mulegun

Post by Mulegun »

I love my PMR 30 Kel-Tec 22 mag....Just got the 22lr ruger and the Smith.... :D
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

FWIW, local range held a .22 pistol event and mah kidz got their hands on a Mark IV 22/45 LITE. Fit well, even scored a few hits.

I had a Mark iV 22/45 Tactical in my sights and went for it.
With the good fortune of a friend with a suppressor to tie on the end...what fun! Added bonus, the barrel length is such that I don't need to use suppressed ammo in it!

I've had it out 2x at/after dusk... last night ended a skunk threat with it.
Haven't officially cleaned it yet, but the kidz are excited to customize and shoot anytime.

I thank everyone for their input. I'm not able to comment on the various firearms others have enjoyed. I have nothing negative to say about the choices of others.

I am simply sharing my extremely limited experience. With a Red/Green/White flashlight, it's oh so much of a good time in the dark.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Now you just have to stock up on ammo - those things have a voracious appetite!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Picked up a MK IV Standard cheap several months back. It's become my favorite .22 plinker pistol.

-Post recall gun
-After the first magazine it's been utterly reliable
-Quite accurate, would be interesting to bolt a scope on and see just how good it is
-After stoning down front sight point of impact is just where I want it, great sight picture
-Lightweight, tapered barrel + aluminum frame
-Super easy takedown
-Trigger has a bit of mush, but aftermarket is already available if I really wanted to do something about it
-Supplanted my P22, which always felt kinda low quality for a Walther
YoteHuntr

Post by YoteHuntr »

Another vote for Ruger MKII. I had a stainless target model with 6 7/8" tapered barrel with rosewood grips, a Burris no-drill mount and a 30mm Tasco 1X scope with an etched glass reticle. I could shoot the eyes out of a gnat at 25 yards with it. Sold it four years ago and regretted it ever since. :cry: :(
U.S.A.F. Retired (1974-1998)
NRA Endowment Life Member
OFCC Member
USCCA Member
Handloader 34 years
EDC Gun: Ruger LC9s, SR9c and/or LCP

rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

I shoot a Ruger 22/45 Lite, suppressed, with either a SOS-22 or a Sparrow. Lots of fun. (Not so much fun taking apart, cleaning and re-assembling, though.)
Love that gun.
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

Other than my Ruger MK1, I picked up a GSG Firefly (Mesquito knockoff) BNIB for under $200. Its accurate and it wasn't picky about ammo.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

yogidave wrote:Other than my Ruger MK1, I picked up a GSG Firefly (Mesquito knockoff) BNIB for under $200. Its accurate and it wasn't picky about ammo.
RKGuns have those on sale right now and I'm considering one, lots of pretty colors from which to choose. It's also threaded for a suppressor in the future if wanted. Would you recommend a GSG or a MK I at the same price?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

Javelin Man wrote:
yogidave wrote:Other than my Ruger MK1, I picked up a GSG Firefly (Mesquito knockoff) BNIB for under $200. Its accurate and it wasn't picky about ammo.
RKGuns have those on sale right now and I'm considering one, lots of pretty colors from which to choose. It's also threaded for a suppressor in the future if wanted. Would you recommend a GSG or a MK I at the same price?
If you can get a MK1 for the same price I would jump on it, they are extremely accurate. I picked up the Firefly so my kids could get used to the common platform of pistols, the bad thing about the MK1 is that the bolt doesn't lock to the rear after the last round is ejected and the mag release is not very user friendly.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

I'll be the odd man out and throw my lot in with the Beretta U22 NEOS Inox. Just wish I had a carbine kit to go with mine. :cry:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WY_Not wrote:I'll be the odd man out and throw my lot in with the Beretta U22 NEOS Inox. Just wish I had a carbine kit to go with mine. :cry:
I seem to remember that the carbine kits are rare and hard to find. That correct?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Brian D. wrote:
WY_Not wrote:I'll be the odd man out and throw my lot in with the Beretta U22 NEOS Inox. Just wish I had a carbine kit to go with mine. :cry:
I seem to remember that the carbine kits are rare and hard to find. That correct?
Discontinued I believe.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788