My job: CPZ and criminal attraction zone

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

eberg

My job: CPZ and criminal attraction zone

Post by eberg »

I work for a religious organization which has "no lethal weapons" signs posted on the doors. The downside is, crazies, druggies and entitled people who want stuff for free are very attracted to this place and I'm the first face they see. There is a lock with a camera at the front door, but if I decline to let someone in, they will just walk around to the back door, which is wide open for anyone to enter. No cameras back there either. This organization is a definite target for shooters, bombers, religious extremists - it's been in the news a lot and people are very angry. Just in the last few weeks we've had some very hostile people come in that made me fear for my life. This organization is in a wealthy suburb, but at the tail end and just two blocks away is a government housing project which has at least 5 police runs a day - 3 departments responding with lights/sirens

All I have between me and them is a flimsy sliding window that constantly falls off its track. It doesn't latch when it's shut and the door unlock button into my office is right inside the window - very easy for someone to either jump through the window or reach in and unlock the door to let themselves into our office.

I tried to explain to my boss that I felt unsafe about the window and door lock/lack of lock situation, especially after a schizophrenic woman reached through and grabbed my shoulder as she told me someone was trying to kill her and he was following her and might be right behind her. But his response was "we are working on a safety plan for the whole building. The front office is not priority right now. I expressed again that I felt unsafe and would really like to at least change that window so it locked and maybe put some film on it that makes it more difficult to break, but he dismissed me and implied that he would write me up for insubordinance if I pursued getting quotes on my own.

My only recourse was to buy several cans of pepper spray with dye and keep one in my pocket all the time, the other hanging within easy reach under my desk and a small stun gun. I know nothing about how to diffuse hostile situations, how to talk these people down when they come in and are angry because we won't give them gas cards, cash or bus passes (most of them come at 4:30pm on a Friday when literally any social service group is closed - they always wait until the last minute then get REALLY {inappropriate language} they can't get what they want. Reeking of cigarettes or weed but claiming if I don't give them something, they'll starve :roll: But I don't know any self defense. If I could find classes to help me with these things, I'd have to pay for them myself, but I'd do it if I could feel safer at work. I've gone over different "what if" scenarios in my head hundreds of times - what I'd do if this, what I'd do if that, but I don't know if they're even effective.

I did do my concealed handgun license training last week and will submit my in person application the day after Christmas (the first day I have off of work that they're open). I have a completely clean background and have had my BCI and FBI files checked many times for different jobs in secured areas. I've never committed any crime, never been arrested, don't have any social media, have had one speeding ticket in 96 - in 36 years of driving. But of course, I can't bring my weapon into my job, so I'll have to leave it in the car (which is parked right outside of my office with my eyes on it all day). I'm frequently left completely alone in my office and occasionally alone in the entire building with lots of entrances, hidey-holes, stairwells, dark areas, etc.

Any suggestions anyone has for me to protect myself within the constraints of my job would be very appreciated. I'm especially looking for ways to learn how to de-escalate crazy/drugged up people, some subtle 'tells' that they're going to become violent, what to do if they pull a gun or knife on me, how to alert my coworkers that I need help and that they are also in danger (they think I'm being silly), when I should just run and where I should go (a friend who is a homicide detective told me not to run outside because I'd be outside with the bad guy - but how will I get my weapon if I don't?). If there was an instance where I feared for my life and the lives of others, am I allowed to then bring my firearm into the gun free zone?

Sorry for the length, this has been bothering me a lot and was the catalyst that encouraged me to take my CHL last week. I just want to feel safe.
Brian D.

Re: My job: CPZ and criminal attraction zone

Post by Brian D. »

Hello. Please put a general location in your profile info. There are folks on here from all over the state who can reach out to help, if a little offline discussion can occur.

Given what you stated, your employer needs to get a clue. We got some great clue givers on this board.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

My strong suggestion is to find another job. I understand it is not easy, but with low unemployment numbers it should be easier than it used to be.

No you can not bring a gun into a CPZ unless you have permission in writing from an authorized person.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Tourist wrote:My strong suggestion is to find another job. I understand it is not easy, but with low unemployment numbers it should be easier than it used to be.

No you can not bring a gun into a CPZ unless you have permission in writing from an authorized person.
Almost correct... The ORC defines some CPZ's and signs create others. Other than places of worship, nobody can give a permission slip to allow anyone to carry into any of them.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

sd790 wrote:
Tourist wrote:My strong suggestion is to find another job. I understand it is not easy, but with low unemployment numbers it should be easier than it used to be.

Almost correct... The ORC defines some CPZ's and signs create others. Other than places of worship, nobody can give a permission slip to allow anyone to carry into any of them.
Actually the person posting the area can give permission if it is not a required CPZ.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

That's new information. Please share the ORC which states this.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

sd790 wrote:Other than places of worship, nobody can give a permission slip to allow anyone to carry into any of them.
You can get permission to carry in a school from a school board or board of trustees (private school).
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

sd790 wrote:That's new information. Please share the ORC which states this.
Since the person posting the property is who would have to object to you carrying and involve the authorities, it stands to reason they can allow persons they want. Were I to prohibit carry in my business to the general public but allow specific people to carry, I'd word my sign appropriately - something like "unless otherwise authorized by JustaShooter's CPZ Emporium, ..."

Sorted.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

sd790 wrote:

Actually, since SB199 (I think) took effect almost two years ago, government entities can allow carry into government facilities under their control by adopting a policy, rule, or statute. Also as already noted, school boards can allow specific people to carry as well.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Excellent points I overlooked. That does not aplly to businesses creating CPZ's via signs, though.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

FWIW, it sounds like your boss needs the pepper spray... In the face!

I don't know what your quals are, but jobs are everywhere right now. Factories, restaurants, auto parts stores etc. Just find another place to work.

I'm a vindictive sort of fella, so I would make my bosses office available to all riff raff that showed up at my window, then I would have to get another job.

Bye the way, welcome to the forum!

PS. GM probably isn't hiring.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Disclaimer: Nothing in this post should be construed as encouragement or advice that any reader violate any statuory law.

Having said that.....I have a few friends who are still working in similar situations whose approach is, "I would much prefer to be alive and unemployed, or even in jail, than to be remembered as the dead guy who followed orders."

FWIW
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE