The Kavanaugh Confirmation

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

The Kavanaugh Confirmation

Post by bignflnut »

Confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh are set to begin Sept. 4, Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) announced on Friday.
NFL season starts Thursday, Sept 6....so...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: The Kavanaugh Confirmation

Post by catfish86 »

The Dem's argument at this point is they are using former Bush staffers to review the nominee who is a former Bush staffer. In other words, I have to say something is bad even if there isn't.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Collins seems to be on board...
While speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) stated that during her meeting with Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh, Kavanaugh said he agreed with Chief Justice John Roberts that Roe v. Wade is settled law.

Collins said, “We talked at great length about precedent and the application of stare decisis to the abortion cases. … We talked about whether he considered Roe to be settled law. He said that he agreed with what Justice Roberts said at his nomination hearing, in which he said that it was settled law.”
The science of when life begins has been altered a bit since Roe, and the ruling itself seems to assert that when the medical/scientific communities pin down that fact, the ruling is upended.
9B
As we have intimated above, it is reasonable and appropriate for a State to decide that at some point in time another interest, that of health of the mother or that of potential human life, becomes significantly involved. The woman's privacy is no longer sole and any right of privacy she possesses must be measured accordingly.

Texas urges that, apart from the Fourteenth Amendment, life begins at conception and is present throughout pregnancy, and that, therefore, the State has a compelling interest in protecting that life from and after conception. We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer. [410 U.S. 113, 160]
A set of justices can point to Roe to terminate Roe, by upholding and honoring the ruling itself.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I agree with that statement BUT sometimes you have to parrot the line until you are confirmed. No grounds for a lawsuit if he votes to overturn Roe at a later date after "promising" not to. See the gun control justices and their "respect" for the Second Amendment.
God,

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Great week of political and athletic entertainment ahead...
The confirmation hearing for Brett Kavanaugh gets started in a few minutes, but we’re already seeing excerpts from his opening statement, which include this praise for Merrick Garland, who we all know was President Obama’s choice to replace Justice Scalia until Cocaine Mitch went full Cali cartel on Senate Dems:
In his opening remarks, Brett Kavanaugh will praise Merrick Garland as a "superb chief judge." He later adds that if confirmed, he would be "committed to deciding cases according to the Constitution and laws of the U.S. I would always strive to be a team player…"

— Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins) September 4, 2018
If you've watched "The Swamp" you hear "team player" differently, recognizing who Kav is appealing to...Spoiler: it's not you and I.

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

"I would always strive to be a team player on the Team of Nine," he added.

The Supreme Court is more often thought of as nine separate judges, rather than a team. And on the most contentious cases, the court tends to split into two sides, conservative and liberal.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Sarcastic prediction: A news story will soon break on how Kavenaugh allegedly made a racist sexist homophobic etc remark to someone or allegedly sexually harrassed someone decades ago, starting in 4,3,2,1..... :roll:
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

American Bar Association Gives highest rating to kavanaugh

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... egin_today" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The ABA Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary on Friday gave its highest rating of well-qualified to Kavanaugh, a 53-year-old judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. The ABA standing committee evaluates nominees based on professional competence, integrity and judicial temperament.
meanwhile
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law is opposing Kavanaugh after examining about 300 of his opinions. “Based upon our review,” the group said in a report, “we believe that Judge Kavanaugh’s views reflect a very narrow definition of what constitutes a civil right and an undue skepticism about the importance of protecting those rights in the courtroom.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Durbin/Democrat plot to disrupt hearings

From the article linked- Kasie Hunt from Twitter:
Democrats plotted coordinated protest strategy over the holiday weekend and all agreed to disrupt and protest the hearing, sources tell me and @frankthorp

Dem leader @chuckschumer led a phone call and committee members are executing now
Where do you catch the most flak?

If he was swampy or squishy, they wouldn't be trying so hard to keep him out.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

The hilarious thing is that the Democrats made themselves look like a bunch of drooling window lickers and he's STILL going to be confirmed.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

The have proven, without question, they are the south end of their mascot.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

JimE wrote:The have proven, without question, they are the south end of their mascot.
As the saying goes, "You want more Trump? That's how you get more Trump."
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Compare this to how Obama's nominees were treated and they were unabashedly liberal. As Obama said, elections have consequences. Remember that in November: Renacci (R) over Sherrod Brown (D).
God,

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mustang380gal wrote:Durbin/Democrat plot to disrupt hearings

From the article linked- Kasie Hunt from Twitter:
Democrats plotted coordinated protest strategy over the holiday weekend and all agreed to disrupt and protest the hearing, sources tell me and @frankthorp

Dem leader @chuckschumer led a phone call and committee members are executing now
Where do you catch the most flak?

If he was swampy or squishy, they wouldn't be trying so hard to keep him out.
Opposing Kavanaugh himself is only part of it. From what I hear from the other side of the political spectrum, there's also a sense that they are going to get the majority in the House and Senate, and therefore be able to impeach Trump regardless of the Mueller investigation. I usually just listen to the drivel and don't respond to it or question it, but I couldn't help but ask this to one person. "Even if Trump gets impeached, all that does is leave Pence as President, then what? It's not like Pence is going to appoint a RBG clone. He didn't have an answer at first, like he hadn't thought of that, then said that with a Democratic majority they could delay any confirmations until 2020, when the new (Progressive) president gets elected.

When I brought up that the Democrats cannot remove Trump from the presidency in the Senate this year even if they win all the contested seats because they still won't have a 2/3rds majority, he said the Democrats could just vote to do the nuclear option. I told him I thought the Constitution required 2/3rds of the Senate regardless, but he seems to think it's legal regardless. :roll:
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

deanimator wrote:The hilarious thing is that the Democrats made themselves look like a bunch of drooling window lickers and he's STILL going to be confirmed.
It's election season...just 2 months away...there has got to be a spectacle to fund-raise off of.