Manager prevents gun theft, gets fired.

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tmq40

Manager prevents gun theft, gets fired.

Post by tmq40 »

A sporting goods store employee, who last month helped catch a suspect allegedly trying to swipe a weapon, was suspended and later lost his job at the Florida business following the incident, his lawyer said. Dean Crouch, 32, was working at the Academy Sports store in Tallahassee on June 29 when robbery suspect Jason White allegedly tried to steal a gun, the Tallahassee Democrat reported.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/11/ac ... -says.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is insane. I'd imagine the stores policy of employees not "placing their hands on customers" is driven by fear of lawsuits. First of all, this was no customer, he is a thief plain and simple. More importantly, Academy Sports should be MORE concerned about a law suit from someone who's family member is murdered by the stolen handgun because they did not do enough to prevent the theft in the first place.
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Manager prevents gun theft, gets fired.

Post by catfish86 »

There is a theory that resisting might result in injury to the employee and/or uninvolved customers. However I think this guy losing his job is way over the top. He definitely has an interesting claim for wrongful termination.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Oh, have times have changed. The criminals have more rights than the businesses do thanks to the liberal courts. When I worked in security back in the 80's/90's at a large retail store we had knock down, drag out fights at the exits and parking lots. Who got charged? The thieves did. I never lost a case, although a few were not taken up by the prosecutor. The store considered that we were doing our job. Now the policy is to let them go if they don't stop when we ASK them to. The cost of the merchandise is cheaper to mark out than a lawsuit. Of course it's better for the associate not to get injured than for the store to pay for their time off also. Society has changed.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

qmti wrote:Oh, have times have changed. The criminals have more rights than the businesses do thanks to the liberal courts. When I worked in security back in the 80's/90's at a large retail store we had knock down, drag out fights at the exits and parking lots. Who got charged? The thieves did. I never lost a case, although a few were not taken up by the prosecutor. The store considered that we were doing our job. Now the policy is to let them go if they don't stop when we ASK them to. The cost of the merchandise is cheaper to mark out than a lawsuit. Of course it's better for the associate not to get injured than for the store to pay for their time off also. Society has changed.
That all ended when that loss prevention officer body slammed that old man at Meijer's
The old man wasnt stealing
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Don't the big retail places now refer to theft as "shrinkage"? That in and of itself strongly suggests political correctness (at the exclusion of clarity) run amok.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Brian D. wrote:Don't the big retail places now refer to theft as "shrinkage"? That in and of itself strongly suggests political correctness (at the exclusion of clarity) run amok.
They always have, so not a new term. It can be more than just theft.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Chuck wrote:
qmti wrote:Oh, have times have changed. The criminals have more rights than the businesses do thanks to the liberal courts. When I worked in security back in the 80's/90's at a large retail store we had knock down, drag out fights at the exits and parking lots. Who got charged? The thieves did. I never lost a case, although a few were not taken up by the prosecutor. The store considered that we were doing our job. Now the policy is to let them go if they don't stop when we ASK them to. The cost of the merchandise is cheaper to mark out than a lawsuit. Of course it's better for the associate not to get injured than for the store to pay for their time off also. Society has changed.
That all ended when that loss prevention officer body slammed that old man at Meijer's
The old man wasnt stealing
There were three steps to follow before making a apprehension. 1. Must see item picked up and concealed/hidden/placed with other merchandise 2. Must have eye/camera contact at all times throughout the moment of individual (at anytime individual is lost sight of, ie. goes behind tandem/display/restroom etc. no stop can be made) 3. Must stop individual outside of exit doors (this is where things can go south in a hurry) to prove intent of thief. We followed these steps for a good apprehension. Evidently the Meijer's LP personnel did not follow their procedures. Shrinkage is customer theft, internal theft, receiving (dock) shortages, register shortages, invoice mistakes, and on and on.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I work in retail. Customer says, "That guy just stole xxxxx!"

And I said, "Thanks."

The look I got...

It may not be the thief's property, but it's not mine, either.

Be a good witness. Note the time for checking surveillance video. File a report if your company has them. If it's really valuable and you actually see them take it, call the cops.
MyWifeSaidYes
Bruenor

Re: Manager prevents gun theft, gets re-hired.

Post by Bruenor »

After backlash - Employee rehired by Academy

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/ ... 782368002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dean Crouch has been rehired as a manager at the Tallahassee location of Academy Sports + Outdoors after being fired earlier this week.

Crouch spoke to the head of the Texas-based outdoors store Friday and has been reemployed, according to his attorney.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson