Credit service Intuit shuts down payments on gun purchases

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Credit service Intuit shuts down payments on gun purchases

Post by Gramps »

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/cr ... -purchases" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How do you find who processes my credit card payment?
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Credit service Intuit shuts down payments on gun purchas

Post by sodbuster95 »

Gramps wrote:How do you find who processes my credit card payment?
The credit card processor is determined by the merchant, not the customer. I'm not sure there's any way to find out who's processing a particular transaction without asking the vendor (the person you're paying).
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Previous thread http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=91809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well you can pretty much guarantee if they are a store that deals in firearms at all, they won't be using Intuits processing much longer.

Wish someone could sue intuit for lost revenue since they refunded all sales to the customers instead of giving the approved transactions to the sellers.
I think gunsite got hit the hardest loss wise, but they would spend far more trying to get Intuit to hand over the funds as intuit says "it's not us, it's our banks policy"

So the question then is, What reasonably priced software packages are out there for small business accounting that can also support Point of Sale and aren't tied to a specific card processor ? Sage50/Peachtree ??
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

My email to their PR people:
Dear Ms. Carlini:

I have been a user of Turbo Tax for several years now, and had recommended it to others.

Due to Intuit's recent unconscionable behavior towards Gunsite, I will no longer either use or recommend it or your other products.

Your actions in reversing card payments owed to Gunsite for goods and services already delivered were not just unethical, they were potentially criminal. If ANY customer failed to pay for goods or services received because of your actions, that would constitute facilitation of theft by fraud. To be honest no reasonably intelligent adult could ever believe that that was not by design.

Based on your actions in this manner, I'm horrified to realize that I entrusted you and your products with my personal financial and even worse, my personal identification information such as my SSAN. Any business which would do what Intuit did simply can't be trusted with such sensitive information, and anyone would simply be a fool to do so. I am not a fool.

Therefore, I will be uninstalling your product(s) and seeking alternatives, as well as strongly discouraging my business contacts and friends from doing business with you.

You have brought shame upon yourselves and your brand. I certainly hope that the financial and legal consequences give you pause as they certainly should.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Quicken is no longer an Intuit product. I don't know if there is still any ties between the two companies though.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

schmieg wrote:Quicken is no longer an Intuit product. I don't know if there is still any ties between the two companies though.
No. Quicken is owned by an private equity company now.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

On this subject, this question was just asked on Quora.com

Should gun owners be worried about Citigroup and other big banks taking a political stand on gun rights in the U.S.?

Currently there are 9 answers.
If you go there look for the answer by Jackson Howder, Owner Operator.
I don’t like it, but I thought this whole “businesses denying customers service for lifestyle choices” thing had been settled already? I must’ve misunderstood.

One more reason to keep your business local, as local banks are usually more flexible. The way I see it, there is a lot of competition in their business, and they’ll get punished for political statements being forced on customers. If company A says no more guns on our credit card, company B will offer special financing at Cabela’s, company C will offer cash back for gun purchases, and company D will offer special NRA rates. There’s always someone willing to take advantage of a business turning away it’s own customers.

As a gun shop owner, I can tell you something interesting, there are companies that have found its very rewarding to support gun owners. I get very competitive rates with my credit card processors because I am a gun shop, and they know gun owners will reward people that support them.
There's more to his answer, but you get the idea.

The other eight answers are spread across the spectrum of negative, to apathetic, to positive.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Speaking of Quicken....

I had to buy a new copy for Windows10 when the #1 PC here croaked, and the spare was Win10 anyway....

Quicken seems to randomly drop transactions (from the Check Register), alter their contents, and otherwise act nuts.

I've been using Quicken since about 1978 (DOS version), and switched to Windows a few years later. (The DOS version was a LOT easier to use, but the Windows version printed things better.) Added QuickBooks quite a while later.

IAC, now I have two reasons to find something else....

Any suggestions guys?

TIA
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

First graduate from DOS to Windows 95 or even better, 98. Notice we skipped 2.1 and 3.1.

After that I'm at a loss. My flip phone still has a rotary dial. :oops:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

SMMAssociates wrote: IAC, now I have two reasons to find something else....

Any suggestions guys?

TIA
GnuCash - Open Source accounting. it's free, costs you nothing to try, and can import some information from Quickbooks. Go download it now.

Sage50/Peachtree - seems to be the only Direct commercial competitor to Quickbooks but it's cloud based, so you pay every month to use it. reviews say to only purchase directly from Sage..

Aside from those I see a bunch of other products out there, most of which I've never heard of, or stuff that's more suitable for larger businesses. A Lot of pay monthly cloud based solutions.. I personally hate cloud based solutions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... g_software" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

let us know what you find.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

SMMAssociates wrote:Speaking of Quicken....

I had to buy a new copy for Windows10 when the #1 PC here croaked, and the spare was Win10 anyway....

Quicken seems to randomly drop transactions (from the Check Register), alter their contents, and otherwise act nuts.

I've been using Quicken since about 1978 (DOS version), and switched to Windows a few years later. (The DOS version was a LOT easier to use, but the Windows version printed things better.) Added QuickBooks quite a while later.

IAC, now I have two reasons to find something else....

Any suggestions guys?

TIA
Quicken seems to work fine here on Win10. In fact, it's even better since Quicken left Intuit. There were a couple of weeks where things were a bit weird then, but it all straightened out.

And note: as stated above, Quicken is not part of Intuit any more.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand