Morels found, police respond

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Morels found, police respond

Post by Bruenor »

I know there are a few mushroom fans around here. Hows this story grab ya.
https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2018/05 ... -facebook/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Garrison posted a series of photos with his girlfriend, Hope Deery, on Facebook showing off the couple’s morel mushroom find while out hunting for the sought after fungi one afternoon.
Garrison claims a few hours after eating the mushrooms, a police officer showed up at their door and questioned the couple about posting pictures of psychedelic psilocybin mushrooms.
The police could have at least done a Google image search before showing up at their door all full of accusations. Those two mushrooms don't look at all similar, I dunno squat about fungus, and even I can see that. Glad I don't live in MD.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Morels found, police respond

Post by schmieg »

Glad I don't live there. I just bought a large jar of Gorilla Glue.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I read a story a few years ago about a family getting raided because there were strange leaves in the family's trashcan. The police said it was marijuana, if I recall correctly.

The mother of the family loved loose leaf tea. It was her used tea leaves.

Sometimes people are just plain stupid.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Mustang380gal wrote:I read a story a few years ago about a family getting raided because there were strange leaves in the family's trashcan. The police said it was marijuana, if I recall correctly.

The mother of the family loved loose leaf tea. It was her used tea leaves.

Sometimes people are just plain stupid.
To make that story even worse, both the husband and wife worked for the CIA and the arrests caused huge problems.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

To state the obvious, Facebook is clearly a way for Nanny State-ers to extend See Something Say Something and ruin your Liberty.

Keep your Facebook clean, even something innocuous like this can trigger the algorithms.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
rattlehead

Post by rattlehead »

bignflnut wrote:To state the obvious, Facebook is clearly a way for Nanny State-ers to extend See Something Say Something and ruin your Liberty.

Keep your Facebook clean, even something innocuous like this can trigger the algorithms.
Or simply unplug from Zuckerberg's money machine.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

rattlehead wrote:
bignflnut wrote:To state the obvious, Facebook is clearly a way for Nanny State-ers to extend See Something Say Something and ruin your Liberty.

Or simply unplug from Zuckerberg's money machine.
I did that a long time ago. I signed on so I could access my daughter's page since she kept bugging me about it. I posted no info and made all my security settings so that no one could see anything. About a month later, I have people posting on my empty page and I found that FB had reset all my security stuff to make things open. I cancelled my account and haven't been back since.
-- Mike

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Slightly off topic mushrooms story.

Some years back I got into a conversation with a woman about mushrooms.
I told her about my wife getting me into finding and collecting wild boleta mushrooms in the oak forests of NE Ohio (near the PA border)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_edulis
Boletas can get to the size of Whopper buns and have a wonderful flavor.

She countered with a story about her husband's brother and his wife building a house on a couple of acres of land in the north west part of the Michigan mitten. On the phone her SIL complained that her lawns looked terrible due to fungus.
She and her husband drove up to visit and when they got there the entire front and back yards were filled with morels.
She said they went home with over 20 grocery bags filled with fungi.
And she told her SIL she'd drive up any time to clean her yard when it needed it.
I have NO idea what she did with all those morels.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Face

Post by Face »

I'll add my Michigan story.

Some 20 or so years ago I worked in a large manufacturing facility, more laid back than today and everyone knew everyone. Anyway, there were 4 guys that took a pickup to the area near Grayling every year, usually had a pickup bed full when they returned. Thet sold them and dried a LOT.

Did similar during fall Salmon runs, the limit was pretty liberal, smoked most of them.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.