new guy

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

eddy883

new guy

Post by eddy883 »

am turning 21 in October, I know where am taking my class and am using a CZ-P09 9MM but does anyone have any other advice for when I get my CHL
CZ-P09 , G26
Suckerspawn

Re: new guy

Post by Suckerspawn »

Carry it, proudly.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Train. Buy ammo and train.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Buy ammo now, while the buying is still good.

If you know what your gun "likes" and "dislikes," eddy883, now is a great time to stock that ammo deep. There are still various manufacturer rebate programs going, and pricing/availability continues to remain to the consumer's favor.

If you do not yet know what your gun likes/dislikes, buy small quantities of various makes and grain weighs so that you can test small batches for function and performance. Only buy in-bulk when you are absolutely sure that the ammo will function well (and perform acceptably) in your unique gun.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
someguy

Post by someguy »

AHA!! You answered my question about your other post without me even asking. Why are you waiting until October to get your license? :)
eddy883

Post by eddy883 »

someguy wrote:AHA!! You answered my question about your other post without me even asking. Why are you waiting until October to get your license? :)

that's when I turn 21 :P
CZ-P09 , G26
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Welcome!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

eddy883 wrote:
someguy wrote:AHA!! You answered my question about your other post without me even asking. Why are you waiting until October to get your license? :)

You can take the class before you turn 21, that way you are ready to turn in your application.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
eddy883

Post by eddy883 »

pirateguy191 wrote:
eddy883 wrote:

You can take the class before you turn 21, that way you are ready to turn in your application.

O I see I'll do that
CZ-P09 , G26
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I would suggest looking up and reading some things from people like Massad Ayoob and Marty Hayes. Over the years almost every time I see or read about someone getting into trouble with a defensive gun use, it's not been because of a lack of technical skills like marksmanship. Not that hitting what you're shooting at isn't important, but the number one thing I've seen or read about with people having problems is poor decision making related to using or not using a firearm in the first place, and how that firearm is used if it is. Number two is gun safety, and security. The number three thing I've seen is poor tactics, and that's something that's rarely mentioned in most CCW classes. That is something you can read about or view online, or if an advanced class like force on force is available in your area, you can learn there. Basic marksmanship (being able to put rounds in a given spot on a paper target at a specific distance on a square range can probably be taught to a monkey, and is rarely the problem in a real life DGU.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ +1.

I'll also plug Varg Freeborn's book here, too: https://www.violenceofmind.com/product/bookorder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's also available on Amazon for Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Violence-Mind-Tr ... B07BGJFD7L" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is also a great, and concise, read for those new to armed self defense:

https://useofforce.us/3aojp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Preclusion is the one thing that many folks make that critical mistake about.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio