Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

Post by Javelin Man »

Dick's CEO is on GMA right now giving the new policies of his stores. No assault rifles, no one under the age of 21, no high capacity magazines, and calls for a nationwide crackdown banning sales of assault rifles. :evil:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods jumped the shark

Post by Brian D. »

Dick's stores already pulled "bad" guns from their stores, moving them to the just-then-launched Field & Stream locations. I guess that the CEO was referring to the F&S side of the company this time.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Haven't shopped there since they cancelled sales of legal product over Sandy Hook.
Won't be back especially because they keep doing it.
If they were truly principled they wouldn't have been selling any of that stuff at Field & Stream the past few years. But no, they have the principles of making a buck.
If Dicks/ F&S wants to NOT stock any of those items, fine. Don't keep pulling stock off the shelf to suit the political wind du jour and virtue signal to the soccer moms.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Yep they are removed from the F&S stores now, and he said quite a few other things as well to clarify their stance. See how the quote below grabs you.

http://fox8.com/2018/02/28/thoughts-and ... le-rifles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles. We had already removed them from all DICK’S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.

* We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.
* We will no longer sell high capacity magazines.
* We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly

At the same time, we implore our elected officials to enact common sense gun reform and pass the following regulations:

* Ban assault-style firearms
* Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21
* Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks
* Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law
* Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms
* Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks

We hope others join us in this effort to let our kids know that their pleas are being taken seriously.
So I guess all handguns from Field and stream will have california 10 round magazines right ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I've noticed the Field & Stream Store (Owned by Dick's) near me seems to only have the California special 10 round M&P mags since Christmas, so it appears that they are just now announcing what they planned to do months ago. Dick's just spent a lot of money to build 2 siamese Dick's/F&S stores in Columbus area. The gun department there always seems to be busy. I guess this is another company that doesn't understand their core market..... :roll: :roll:
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Haven't spent a penny in F&S since they opened at Polaris. Been in twice. Place is just a dime store Cabelas imho.
Haven't been back to Dicks since Sandy hook.
Let them rot with Gander Mountain.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

My take on this is:
*Firearm sales in general will plummet since America's gun is no longer sold there
*Pro-gun customers will boycott the Dick's/Field Stream stores (at least I will)
*By 2019 clearance sales will start on firearms and related item
*And when animal rights activists see this success the fishing equipment lines will be next target
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

I like M/C sports better, I was looking to buy a new set of golf clubs this spring and now it looks like I will be spending my money elsewhere.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Be sure and send them a copy of the receipt to show them what they lost out on.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Face

Post by Face »

yogidave wrote:I like M/C sports better, I was looking to buy a new set of golf clubs this spring and now it looks like I will be spending my money elsewhere.
Didn't they go bankrupt and close?
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Absolutely the WORST service I've gotten in DECADES in a store was in Dick's.

They will look right at you, and pretend you're not there. If you have to stop THREE different people to get help, they clearly don't want your business.

I don't need to boycott them. By refusing to provide service, even when I go there, they boycott THEMSELVES.

And that's apart from them usually having NOTHING I want, including handguns, which they don't sell here.

If I want to buy a gun in a store, I go to Goschinski's Fin, Feather, Fur Outfitters. They have a good selection, good prices, and sales people who aren't rude jackasses. They're the "anti-Dicks".
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

deanimator wrote:Absolutely the WORST service I've gotten in DECADES in a store was in Dick's.

They will look right at you, and pretend you're not there. If you have to stop THREE different people to get help, they clearly don't want your business.

I don't need to boycott them. By refusing to provide service, even when I go there, they boycott THEMSELVES.

And that's apart from them usually having NOTHING I want, including handguns, which they don't sell here.

If I want to buy a gun in a store, I go to Goschinski's Fin, Feather, Fur Outfitters. They have a good selection, good prices, and sales people who aren't rude jackasses. They're the "anti-Dicks".
I love Fin-Feather-Fur store in Ashland. I stop there every time I go to visit my relatives in Newbury (near Cleveland). Prices are good and sales associates are good to work with. Selection of merchandise is great. Not so much at Great Lake Outfitters.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

qmti wrote: I love Fin-Feather-Fur store in Ashland. I stop there every time I go to visit my relatives in Newbury (near Cleveland). Prices are good and sales associates are good to work with. Selection of merchandise is great. Not so much at Great Lake Outfitters.
I used to go to the Ashland store until they opened on in Middleburg Heights.

I just love to go to the Berea show and then stop at Fin, Feather and Fur on the way home.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Cabela's is not anti gun yet, and they have a much better selection of ammo and at lower prices than Dick's, the last time I was in both stores. There is also Dunhams sports.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Bruenor wrote:
“We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles. We had already removed them from all DICK’S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.

* We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.
* We will no longer sell high capacity magazines.
* We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly

At the same time, we implore our elected officials to enact common sense gun reform and pass the following regulations:

* Ban assault-style firearms
* Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21
* Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks
* Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law
* Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms
* Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks
You forgot the quote that makes this all OK:
“We’re staunch supporters of the 2nd Amendment. I’m a gun owner myself”
Now where is my dictionary because I apparently am fuzzy on the meaning of "staunch." :roll: