250 Teachers signup for CCW class in 24 Hours Butler Cnty

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

250 Teachers signup for CCW class in 24 Hours Butler Cnty

Post by Bruenor »

Seems there is some demand for firearms training in the teaching community...
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... g-session/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Butler County, Ohio, Sheriff Richard K. Jones offered free concealed carry training for 50 teachers and 250 teachers responded within 24 hours.
Breitbart News reported that Jones began advertising the free training on Sunday and the immediate response was 50 emails within 20 minutes:
He stressed that he wants teachers to understand what they can do with a gun if an armed attacker enters the classroom. And while he cannot delegate the authority for teachers to carry on a given campus–that is a school board decision–Jones said he wants the teachers to be read
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: 250 Teachers signup for CCW class in 24 Hours Butler Cnt

Post by Javelin Man »

Excellent! I may mention this at our NWOEA meeting this evening.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
medmandan

Post by medmandan »

Is there still not the voluntary training being offered here in Ohio already by BFA/OFCC and several affiliated trainers?
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

medmandan wrote:Is there still not the voluntary training being offered here in Ohio already by BFA/OFCC and several affiliated trainers?
The FASTER program is still running. looks like they are focusing the training on those that through approval of the school board will actually be able to use it. makes sense.
http://fastersaveslives.org/application ... r-training" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For future classes we are giving priority to those who are already carrying in school, or have conditional permission to carry pending successful completion of a training class.

You will be required to have a Concealed Handgun License issued by the same state as the school you work in. You may apply before you get your CHL, but will need it before training.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

There is still great backlash at the idea of arming teachers or other staff. Saw someone say about the cost of training and ammunition (are you kidding? the cost?). The usual negative is "we don't want our teachers to also be LEO's" -or- "they could accidentally shoot a student".

There is one undeniable fact about all of these active shooter situations. When a shooter comes on campus and starts shooting, any staff in the area will be the first to respond. They are literally the first responders. They WILL respond. As Spock says, "as with all things, each to their own ability" (roughly).

We don't ask our teachers to be fire fighters -- yet we train them (and the kids) what to do if a fire breaks out (and the last time that happened?). Have been for decades.

Why wouldn't we at least allow the teaching of the "first responders" (teachers) what to do in an active shooter situation and give them the tool(s) (gun) to best deal with the situation.

Certainly not all teachers would want or need to. Purely voluntary. Carrying is not for everyone for sure.

Other proposals were to allow VETS or others to be trained to do so. I would volunteer (I'm not a Vet, thank you to all that are!) to take active shooter training, pay for it myself and stand a shift and guard our kids (and my grand kids) at our local schools. Check my background until you're blue in the face (no pun intended).

Proposals that put training and tools, at minimal cost, in the hands of willing helpers. But let's poo-poo all that and just ban stuff.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Here's the results of a survey of educators about school safety.

http://schoolimprovement.com/voe/guns-a ... s/?pr=guns
36.3% of educators surveyed report owning a firearm, 37.1% of whom say they would be likely or very likely to bring it to school if allowed
37.1% of 36.3% is 13.47% of all teachers surveyed.
Frankly I find that number to be quite heartening.
Nearly 1 out of 7 are willing to arm themselves to protect their students.
I didn't expect it to be that high.
What percentage of eligible Ohio adults have an Ohio CHL?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AlanM wrote: What percentage of eligible Ohio adults have an Ohio CHL?
You'll won't like my best guesstimate method here, but I have one: There are 7.5 to 8 million ELIGIBLE over 21 year olds in Ohio. And around 650,000 CHL holders. I'd like to see it climb to a nice round 10% figure, we'd be doing well.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Brian D. wrote:
AlanM wrote: What percentage of eligible Ohio adults have an Ohio CHL?
You'll won't like my best guesstimate method here, but I have one: There are 7.5 to 8 million ELIGIBLE over 21 year olds in Ohio. And around 650,000 CHL holders. I'd like to see it climb to a nice round 10% figure, we'd be doing well.
I quit keeping my spreadsheet up to date for Ohio CHLs about 5 years ago.
However, I think you are quite close to the correct value.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

First class has 9 teachers / school employees. First step to the other programs such as faster which require you to have your CHL before taking their program.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/cr ... InTSMvleJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A small class of school employees and teachers was the first to take conceal and carry classes on Monday offered by Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones.

“There were nine of them,” Jones said. The men and women showed up for the eight-hour class with their own guns and ammunition.
“Today we had nine. Tomorrow there will be 14 and more, probably 50, on Saturday,” Jones said. Fire instructors in the sheriff’s office are conducting the classes. A total of about 300 will receive the training in the next two weeks. No deputies have been take off patrol to teach the courses, the sheriff said.

Jones has been on local and national media talking about the training, and plenty of media want a glimpse of the class, he said. But the sheriff turned everyone down.

“They don’t what to be photographed,” Jones said. “These are just teachers and other employees who want to protect our children.”
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

It was going to be another busy year for FASTER Saves Lives again this year even before FL event.

The first Level 2 class we put on the schedule was full in less then 24 hours. Opened a 2nd and it was also full within 8 days.

We had schedule 8 classes here in Ohio and 2 in Colorado and now barely 30 days later all Ohio classes are full. The instructors held room in their schedules so we are working with schools and others to try to get 2-3 more scheduled to meet the back log.

New requests for FASTER classes has been averaging 10 a day for the past 2 week and many schools have not even had a board meeting since 2/14.

JLE
Bruenor wrote:First class has 9 teachers / school employees. First step to the other programs such as faster which require you to have your CHL before taking their program.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/cr ... InTSMvleJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A small class of school employees and teachers was the first to take conceal and carry classes on Monday offered by Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones.

“There were nine of them,” Jones said. The men and women showed up for the eight-hour class with their own guns and ammunition.
“Today we had nine. Tomorrow there will be 14 and more, probably 50, on Saturday,” Jones said. Fire instructors in the sheriff’s office are conducting the classes. A total of about 300 will receive the training in the next two weeks. No deputies have been take off patrol to teach the courses, the sheriff said.

Jones has been on local and national media talking about the training, and plenty of media want a glimpse of the class, he said. But the sheriff turned everyone down.

“They don’t what to be photographed,” Jones said. “These are just teachers and other employees who want to protect our children.”
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

But we were told teachers don't want to be armed and many would quit if other teachers were allowed to do so.

Guess there's at least 250 that don't care if others quit -- they're going to do everything they can to protect themselves and their students.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Wayne, it's open to all school employees, not just teachers. I wish the media would at least pretend to try to be accurate. Let's be more accurate ourselves.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.