Cop drinking alcohol during firearms training

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Cop drinking alcohol during firearms training

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.fox19.com/story/37213888/cop ... aces-judge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

A Cincinnati police officer pleaded guilty Monday to a probation violation of drinking alcohol during firearms training.

Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Brad Greenberg ordered Officer David Jenkins to continue probation, undergo a more aggressive alcohol abuse treatment program and wear an alcohol monitoring device for the next 30 days.

If the law enforcement veteran drinks any alcohol, even cough medicine, it will go off.

Also, a Dec. 22 court order removing all weapons from his possession remains in effect.
"It's certainly a concern that this is the second incident that involves both the use of alcohol and the possession of weapons. You need to get a handle on it," the judge told Jenkins.

"David is a good person who is struggling," Sgt. Dan Hils, police union president, said Monday. "The FOP and I will do everything we can to help him recover."
Here's hoping his treatment program is effective and that he can remain sober.
AlanM

Re: Cop drinking alcohol during firearms training

Post by AlanM »

M-Quigley wrote:http://www.fox19.com/story/37213888/cop-accused-of-dr

Here's hoping his treatment program is effective and that he can remain sober.
Well, at least, un-loaded one way or the other.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Interesting that they mention cough medicine. Begs the question: What is sobriety? An Absence of intoxicants? What's an intoxicant?
a substance such as alcohol that produces feelings of pleasure or happiness in a person
If over the counter cocktails can remove sobriety, doesn't the law prohibit behaviors like "buzzed driving" and/or handling weapons? (DUI, DWI, OVI, etc...)

Even Caffeine is an agent against sobriety:
Caffeine is a psychoactive drug found in guarana, tea leaves, yerba mate, cacao and the coffee bean primarily. It is a natural stimulant, one that, once ingested, kickstarts a caffeine rush that improves your cognitive abilities and creates a sense of alertness. This is done by blocking the effects of adenosine, a neurotransmitter that induces a state of relaxation akin to drowsiness. Over the course of the day, adenosine buildup in the brain leads us to become more and more tired, a natural mechanism designed to help us create a solid sleeping schedule. Because of this, caffeine addiction can be a real thing, even if it’s nowhere near as potent as other more serious drugs.

Coffee blocks the drowsiness of this mechanism, and instead keeps us on our feet. This is followed by the side-effects of an increase in adrenaline, and other neurotransmitters including dopamine. It takes about 20 minutes from the moment you ingest caffeine for its effects to kick in – and it only takes a few hours for the effect to wear off.
As we've defined everything to take away sobriety, we should ban all activities, for none are stone cold sober.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Alcohol is a powerful thing. A true alcoholic has something called a "phenomenon of craving" and an obsession with drinking. That is to say that even if they are not drinking at the moment, the thought of drinking is never far from their mind. Once the first drink is consumed, there is an overwhelming desire to drink more. It is documented that the brain in this state will alter reality to justify drinking. A lot of people look down on the alcoholic without understanding it truly is a disease...that does not absolve the alcoholic of the consequences of actions however.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

catfish86 wrote:Alcohol is a powerful thing. A true alcoholic has something called a "phenomenon of craving" and an obsession with drinking. That is to say that even if they are not drinking at the moment, the thought of drinking is never far from their mind. Once the first drink is consumed, there is an overwhelming desire to drink more. It is documented that the brain in this state will alter reality to justify drinking. A lot of people look down on the alcoholic without understanding it truly is a disease...that does not absolve the alcoholic of the consequences of actions however.
I guess in stories like this I'm a glass half full kind of person. If he is an alcoholic and doing something wrong, it's good that he messed up the way he did and got caught, instead of doing something else that might've gotten someone injured or killed. This way he can get the help he needs, and hopefully it will be successful. It would've been better of course had he realized that he had a problem and got help before the two incidents, but unfortunitely that's not how it usually goes.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

catfish86 wrote:Alcohol is a powerful thing. A true alcoholic has something called a "phenomenon of craving" and an obsession with drinking. That is to say that even if they are not drinking at the moment, the thought of drinking is never far from their mind. Once the first drink is consumed, there is an overwhelming desire to drink more. It is documented that the brain in this state will alter reality to justify drinking. A lot of people look down on the alcoholic without understanding it truly is a disease...that does not absolve the alcoholic of the consequences of actions however.
The owner of the Cleveland Agora had a sign hung above the bar "Alcohol is a drug, Use it wisely". I think he had a point..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

Is he keeping his job? Because if I was caught out drinking while carrying, I would probably lose my CHL..
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

dustymedic wrote:Is he keeping his job? Because if I was caught out drinking while carrying, I would probably lose my CHL..
from the news link:
Jenkins’ police powers remain suspended. He is currently assigned to administrative duties in District 3.

Jenkins has been on probation since July, when he was convicted of a disorderly conduct charge. A second charge of using weapons while intoxicated was dismissed.

He was arrested back in March and accused of carrying an AR-15 style rifle while drunk off-duty to engage in police activity.

At that time, Greenberg sentenced Jenkins to 30 days in jail with 30 suspended, 5 years probation and $160 in court costs and fines.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Some additional info regarding the first of the two offenses.

http://www.fox19.com/story/34936419/rad ... at-officer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MOUNT AIRY, OH (FOX19) -
The Cincinnati police officer arrested and charged with using an AR-15 style rifle while drunk pointed that weapon at another officer responding to a report of a fight, police radio recordings show.

Officer David Jenkins, 45, was off duty when he acted as a police officer in an official capacity on duty by searching hallways early Monday, court records state.
When police arrived, they said they saw an armed man in an apartment building claiming to be an officer and left until backup officers could respond.

"We got a guy in this hallway with a rifle. He claimed to be a cop," one of the officers told the dispatcher.
"We actually retreated. We're outside and get some more cars out here to help us out."
The dispatcher asked for a description of the armed man.

At that point, Jenkins got on the police radio and identified himself by giving his badge number, confirmed Tiffaney Hardy, police spokeswoman.

Then, he gave out the wrong description of the suspect.
"He just told me he was a cop. I'm about to confront him, and he's obviously not a cop. So do what you need to do and get somebody here fast," Jenkins told a dispatcher.
He said the suspect was a man between the ages of 19 and 24.

But an on-duty officer at the scene disputed that.
"Negative, male, black, bald hair, clean shaven face. He had a Cincinnati police jacket. He pointed an AR-15 at me."

Police and dispatchers then discussed whether there were two men, not one, inside the apartment building.
That theory was apparently dismissed because an officer is heard saying: "Can you have Officer Jenkins put his gun down and step outside?"
"Yeah, I'm coming," came the response.

A computer-aided dispatch report of the run, also called a CAD, says the person with the AR-15 is off-duty Officer Jenkins and there is no other gunman.
Officer Jenkins was arrested on two misdemeanor charges, using weapons while intoxicated and disorderly conduct.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

In light of the Daniel Shaver incident, this could have played out so much worse.....

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... r#p4383715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:cry:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

The Cleveland, Ohio PD would hire this guy on the spot.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.