Army lifts ban for recruits w/Mental Health issues

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Army lifts ban for recruits w/Mental Health issues

Post by JU-87 »

Be...All that you can be...in the ARRRRRRRMY! :lol:
These mental case recruits will be able to get an Ohio CCW permit without any training!! :shock:
The hits keep on comin! :lol: :roll:

Army lifts ban on waivers for recruits with history of some mental health issues
Tom Vanden Brook, USA TODAYPublished 12:00 p.m. ET Nov. 12, 2017 | Updated 1:01 p.m. ET Nov. 14, 2017
WASHINGTON – People with a history of “self-mutilation,” bipolar disorder, depression and drug and alcohol abuse can now seek waivers to join the Army under an unannounced policy enacted in August, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY.

The decision to open Army recruiting to those with mental health conditions comes as the service faces the challenging goal of recruiting 80,000 new soldiers through September 2018. To meet last year's goal of 69,000, the Army accepted more recruits who fared poorly on aptitude tests, increased the number of waivers granted for marijuana use and offered hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 853131001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Army lifts ban for recruits w/Mental Health issues

Post by Sneakypete »

Here we go again, lights of MacNamaras "100,000"......,circa late Vn war. Anybody that had to deal with them remembers how fun that was. :roll:
Duty, Honor, Country.
These three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

You have never lived until you have almost died.
For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

The Army, or a local militia, can set the terms of applicants as they see fit.
I would not be in favor of lowering application standards, but of course the State cannot keep us safe, regardless of how high their entry standards (multiple articles have been written regarding physical fitness standards being lowered due to increasing childhood obesity and a PC desire to accept females in combat positions).

That said, please, let's recognize that those who set the terms of the debate often win the debate. "Mental Illness" is a synonym or euphemism for "Feeblemindedness", a term used by open Eugenicists in decades past. Open Eugenics being entirely repugnant, there is a requirement to shroud the language in deceptive and dangerous sounding terms.

While I wouldn't like to see people with histories of self-mutilation, depression / bi-polar disorder or substance abuse anywhere near firearms...I recognize that our Rights originate not with our mental fitness, sobriety or any other medically defined state of being, but that we are living humans! Let people be free and reap the whirlwind if they act improperly! Self-government, right?
“Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains on their own appetites—in proportion as their love to justice is above their rapacity;—in proportion as their soundness and sobriety of understanding is above their vanity and presumption;—in proportion as they are more disposed to listen to the counsels of the wise and good, in preference to the flattery of knaves. Society cannot exist unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere, and the less of it there is within, the more there is without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters.” (Edmund Burke, A Letter From Mr. Burke To A Member Of The National Assembly, 1791.)
But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays I have received from Major-General Hull and Brigadier, General Walker your unanimous address from Lexington, animated with a martial spirit, and expressed with a military dignity becoming your character and the memorable plains on which it was adopted. in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candor, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the Nvorld; because we have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, • would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. -
Message from John Adams to the Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massacusetts
John Adams
October 11, 1798
What will govern men, an all powerful and all knowing State, or a deep and abiding national conscience, rooted in timeless precepts?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Nope..It ain't happening...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said Wednesday to reporters that a September waiver memo, first reported on by USA Today, had been dropped after “terrible” messaging of the policy. However, Milley maintained the memo did not constitute a real change in policy, but rather delegated the ability to issue waivers to a lower authority - from Army headquarters to Army Recruiting Command.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Sneakypete »

bignflnut wrote:
Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said Wednesday to reporters that a September waiver memo, first reported on by USA Today, had been dropped after “terrible” messaging of the policy. However, Milley maintained the memo did not constitute a real change in policy, but rather delegated the ability to issue waivers to a lower authority - from Army headquarters to Army Recruiting Command.
Nothing like passing the buck.
Duty, Honor, Country.
These three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

There are so many problems with altering the mental health standards (which is for the benefit of the individual, their team members, and big *insert branch here*) for the benefit of recruiting numbers it's not even worth counting.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Just found this. It looks like the Military did this before:

Project 100,000
Project 100,000 (also McNamara's 100,000) was a 1960s program by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) to recruit soldiers that would previously have been below military mental or medical standards. Project 100,000 was initiated by Defense Secretary Robert McNamara in October 1966 to meet the escalating manpower requirements during American involvement in the Vietnam War and ended in December 1971...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_100,000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Sneakypete »

JU-87 wrote:Just found this. It looks like the Military did this before:

Project 100,000
Project 100,000 (also McNamara's 100,000) was a 1960s program by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) to recruit soldiers that would previously have been below military mental or medical standards. Project 100,000 was initiated by Defense Secretary Robert McNamara in October 1966 to meet the escalating manpower requirements during American involvement in the Vietnam War and ended in December 1971...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_100,000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is what I was referring to in my earlier posts. Didn't realize how old I was to have first hand knowledge of these things. :shock:
Duty, Honor, Country.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

In 1965,when I joined the regular Navy my recruiter had me go down to the Draft board's office and take the AFQT, Armed Forces Qualifying Test and get a physical exam.
Beside me was a guy my age that was taking it for the THIRD time.
Also for enlistment into the Navy.
Basically the AFQT was a simple IQ test.
I aced it. 100%
The other guy got a 16% (on his third try).
The Navy recruiter was STILL coaching him to get him enlisted.

I went on to Tech school, Enlisted Nuclear Power School, Sub. School and served on Polaris submarines among other things.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AlanM wrote:In 1965,when I joined the regular Navy my recruiter had me go down to the Draft board's office and take the AFQT, Armed Forces Qualifying Test and get a physical exam.
I aced it. 100%

I went on to Tech school, Enlisted Nuclear Power School, Sub. School and served on Polaris submarines among other things.
Wait, so what happened to the 16% guy? Is he now a U.S. Senator?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:
AlanM wrote:In 1965,when I joined the regular Navy my recruiter had me go down to the Draft board's office and take the AFQT, Armed Forces Qualifying Test and get a physical exam.
I aced it. 100%

He's probably a full professor at Harvard.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

schmieg wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
I aced it. 100%

He's probably a full professor at Harvard.
He ran for president in the last election,he won one state. :twisted:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Brian D. wrote:
LOL! :lol:

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

How about bearded Navy Men?
Now that women in the Navy can wear ponytails, men want beards.

The Navy said last week that servicewomen could sport ponytails, lock hairstyles, or ropelike strands, and wider hair buns, reversing a policy that long forbade females from letting their hair down.

Servicemen immediately chimed in on social media, asking the Navy if they could grow beards. A sailor's Facebook post with a #WeWantBeards hashtag was shared thousands of times.

Beards were banned in 1984. The Navy wanted professional-looking sailors who could wear firefighting masks and breathing apparatuses without interference.