Encounter with Sheriff deputies at Stark County Fair today

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Encounter with Sheriff deputies at Stark County Fair tod

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

ParaC7 wrote:I would have said, "I'll lock mine in my car at the same time you lock yours in your car".
Funny thing is, some carriers "would" take their guns back to their cars if asked by LE, in this situation..... :roll:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Funny thing is, some carriers "would" take their guns back to their cars if asked by LE, in this situation..... :roll:
Which would increase the risk of the gun being stolen from the car and ending up in criminal hands. That would be a real improvement in public safety..NOT!
Col Duke

Post by Col Duke »

Not an encounter, but a year ago at this time I called the Warren Co Sheriff's Office asking about carrying the next day at the Warren Co Fair. The deputy I spoke with couldn't have been nicer, told me I was absolutely welcome to carry, thanked me for calling, and invited me to stop by their booth to say hello. I went, I carried, had no problems.

I do have a question relative to Ohio fairgrounds, however. The wife and I attend auctions at the Greene Co (Xenia) Fairgrounds and I see individual buildings (as opposed to the entire fairgrounds) posted, usually those used for 4-H/FAA purposes like showing animals and displaying artsy crafty things. I never needed to go in those buildings so never gave them much thought until reading this thread. Are those signs legal under Ohio law?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Col Duke wrote:The wife and I attend auctions at the Greene Co (Xenia) Fairgrounds and I see individual buildings (as opposed to the entire fairgrounds) posted, usually those used for 4-H/FAA purposes like showing animals and displaying artsy crafty things. I never needed to go in those buildings so never gave them much thought until reading this thread. Are those signs legal under Ohio law?
Possibly. Ohio law says that a "government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility" is a no-carry zone unless the government entity passes a law or adopts a rule allowing carry there. And, Ohio law defines a government facility as follows:
(3) "Government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state" means any of the following:

(a) A building or part of a building that is owned or leased by the government of this state or a political subdivision of this state and where employees of the government of this state or the political subdivision regularly are present for the purpose of performing their official duties as employees of the state or political subdivision;

(b) The office of a deputy registrar serving pursuant to Chapter 4503. of the Revised Code that is used to perform deputy registrar functions.
So, do those buildings qualify? Some might say they are shelters, and others might say they fail to satisfy the definition above. But, unlike the fairgrounds themselves, they at least have some legal basis to post them.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Quite a few of those smaller buildings are owned and maintained by those various organisations. Thus making them private. And they can do pretty much what they want. Example: we have a VFW lunch stand that is posted.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Cruiser wrote:Quite a few of those smaller buildings are owned and maintained by those various organisations. Thus making them private. And they can do pretty much what they want. Example: we have a VFW lunch stand that is posted.
But a BIG difference is that the privately owned buildings are only misdemeanor territory. The government buildings are felony ground.

If the building is owned by local government but leased to a private organization, is it felony or misdemeanor territory? AFAIK, the law is not clear on that.

Ken
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Looks like I'll be going again this year for the sat. tractor pull.

Hmmm ......wonder if the gate will be posted "again".
Darrel
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Looks like I'll be going again this year for the sat. tractor pull.

NO problems and I think(?) the "no carry in buildings" sign in the ticket booth was gone this year also and I saw no signs on any buildings
Darrel
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Looks like I'll be going again this year for the sat. tractor pull.

NO problems and I think(?) the "no carry in buildings" sign in the ticket booth was gone this year also and I saw no signs on any buildings
Glad to hear. Due to my wife's health issues we didn't get out to the fair this year, much to my dismay. Perhaps next year...
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

There's always the Wayne County Fair next week....
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Mustang380gal wrote:There's always the Wayne County Fair next week....
I'll be carrying openly at the Izaak Walton League booth on Monday night. Always do.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Yep, my wife and I were at the Wayne fair today, (sunday the 10th.).

We normally go on thursdays but had other plans this week.

Seems all is good for carriers at that fair. No signage at the gates OR on any of the buildings......that I saw. :D

I oc'ed everywhere, including under the grandstands where the sheriff's booth is on the east end.

Think I'll be going to the Tuscarawas fair and don't plan on any trouble there either. :)
Darrel
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I think I've asked this before, in relation to county fairs, and don't recall seeing an answer. Pardon me if someone did answer this, but what is the legal basis for a county fair to post the no guns warning on entrances to restrooms? I'm not talking about restrooms that are part of a larger bldg. where meetings might occur either, I'm talking about stand alone men's and women's restrooms, the bldg. being used for only that purpose.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:I think I've asked this before, in relation to county fairs, and don't recall seeing an answer. Pardon me if someone did answer this, but what is the legal basis for a county fair to post the no guns warning on entrances to restrooms? I'm not talking about restrooms that are part of a larger bldg. where meetings might occur either, I'm talking about stand alone men's and women's restrooms, the bldg. being used for only that purpose.
There is none that I'm aware of, a sign at the entrance to a standalone restroom doesn't appear to me to comply with ORC 2923.126 or 2923.1212
NRA Life Member

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:I think I've asked this before, in relation to county fairs, and don't recall seeing an answer. Pardon me if someone did answer this, but what is the legal basis for a county fair to post the no guns warning on entrances to restrooms? I'm not talking about restrooms that are part of a larger bldg. where meetings might occur either, I'm talking about stand alone men's and women's restrooms, the bldg. being used for only that purpose.
There is none that I'm aware of, a sign at the entrance to a standalone restroom doesn't appear to me to comply with ORC 2923.126 or 2923.1212
Tuscrawas County had free standing rest rooms posted at last year's steam show.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!