Liberty Center now CPZ

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mreising

Re: Liberty Center now CPZ

Post by mreising »

Brian: I'm not sure if we will even accomplish our goals that are already in the hopper for this legislative cycle. I know, there is always a puch at the end of the session, but I won't hold my breath.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Once again I'll opine that groups like OFCC and BFA need to hire a paid lobbyist/spokesperson who lives and works in downtown Columbus to keep in more or less constant personal contact with the Representatives and Senators. I can call or e-mail the offices from 100 miles away a few times a week, and, guess what, they still won't know who I am, nor care much unless said contacts involve financial remuneration in their direction.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:Once again I'll opine that groups like OFCC and BFA need to hire a paid lobbyist/spokesperson who lives and works in downtown Columbus to keep in more or less constant personal contact with the Representatives and Senators. I can call or e-mail the offices from 100 miles away a few times a week, and, guess what, they still won't know who I am, nor care much unless said contacts involve financial remuneration in their direction.
And for that we need more money and donations. I concur that it would be awesome to have that as well, but, $$$ is needed greatly to afford that person.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Roger that. My idea, as you are likely weary of reading, comes from a couple examples I've seen in other states through the years. Long stories, and really the one such lobbyist in California only managed to stave off that state's nonsense for maybe ten years, in limited ways.

Kentucky's example is much more positive and has held up well for two decades plus. In fairness though, even most Democrat state reps and senators vote pro-gun anyway, except those who represent Louisville and Lexington districts.

********************************************************************************
tarpshack

Post by tarpshack »

I hesitate to resurrect an old post, but rather than starting a new one I was curious how the law changes in March of this year affect something like Liberty Center.

Specifically, how can they still have signs posted at the entrances banning concealed firearms on an entire mall campus when businesses, property owners, or employers are prohibited from banning a person who has been issued a valid CHL from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when the items are locked in a person's privately-owned motor vehicle?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

tarpshack wrote: how can they still have signs posted at the entrances banning concealed firearms on an entire mall campus when businesses, property owners, or employers are prohibited from banning a person who has been issued a valid CHL from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when the items are locked in a person's privately-owned motor vehicle?
Simple. The signs apply to the entire property *except* for those who have a CHL and are transporting or have the firearm and ammunition properly stored (not just locked) in the vehicle and the vehicle is in a place it is allowed to be.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:
tarpshack wrote: how can they still have signs posted at the entrances banning concealed firearms on an entire mall campus when businesses, property owners, or employers are prohibited from banning a person who has been issued a valid CHL from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when the items are locked in a person's privately-owned motor vehicle?
Simple. The signs apply to the entire property *except* for those who have a CHL and are transporting or have the firearm and ammunition properly stored (not just locked) in the vehicle and the vehicle is in a place it is allowed to be.
And of course, the newly revised law has soft gums rather than enforcement "teeth".

FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Has anyone thought about sending them a 9.68 letter explaining they can't ban except for buildings and seeing how they respond? That will give you an idea of where they think their footing is as a public vs private entity, etc....
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

FormerNavy wrote:Has anyone thought about sending them a 9.68 letter explaining they can't ban except for buildings and seeing how they respond? That will give you an idea of where they think their footing is as a public vs private entity, etc....
They will answer that they are private but with special government abilities. Welcome to Ohio where anyone can be a government.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
tarpshack

Post by tarpshack »

Does a private entity need to claim special government abilities in order to ban concealed firearms outside of their buildings?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

tarpshack wrote:Does a private entity need to claim special government abilities in order to ban concealed firearms outside of their buildings?
No. The problem is exactly the opposite - they act like a government, which should mean they *can't* restrict firearms other than buildings that qualify as government facilities, but they claim they aren't a political subdivision of the state, so they *can* restrict them. Best of both worlds...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
tarpshack wrote:Does a private entity need to claim special government abilities in order to ban concealed firearms outside of their buildings?
No. The problem is exactly the opposite - they act like a government, which should mean they *can't* restrict firearms other than buildings that qualify as government facilities, but they claim they aren't a political subdivision of the state, so they *can* restrict them. Best of both worlds...
And really we have nobody to blame but the legislature. Pretty smart for a business to take advantage of those benefits.