Lessons of longtime CCW...

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Lessons of longtime CCW...

Post by Chuck »

Brian D. wrote:One potential problem that troubles me about inadvertently running across these angry mobs is..other than their sheer numbers creating a disparity of force, they may not possess lethal weapons, as we think of them. Does Fox Labs sell their product in scuba tank sized dispensers that we can carry on our backs? Okay, no, but you likely see where the old adage about "If you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" figures into my pondering.

All I'm trying to do is get home alive at the end of the day
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

In one piece of course..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Agreed, Chuck and Carmen. I'm in downtown Cincinnati a couple times a week minimum, a few times a year around the UC campus. While those are the two most likely neighborhoods for these "protests" to go rogue and violent, they aren't the ONLY ones in the region where it's possible.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:Agreed, Chuck and Carmen. I'm in downtown Cincinnati a couple times a week minimum, a few times a year around the UC campus. While those are the two most likely neighborhoods for these "protests" to go rogue and violent, they aren't the ONLY ones in the region where it's possible.
One thing I don't miss in retirement is going downtown regularly. Had to go down right before Christmas for a reception at the Masonic Temple followed by a concert at the Taft Theater. I couldn't believe that it cost me $15 to park and I had trouble finding my way around. I'm sure I would be totally lost trying to find something in the main part of town now. Things have changed so much.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Brian D. wrote:One potential problem that troubles me about inadvertently running across these angry mobs is..other than their sheer numbers creating a disparity of force, they may not possess lethal weapons, as we think of them. Does Fox Labs sell their product in scuba tank sized dispensers that we can carry on our backs? Okay, no, but you likely see where the old adage about "If you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" figures into my pondering.
Actually prisons/ jails have a back sized pepper spay dispensers.
I doubt us civilians can get it though.
https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spray/s ... ream-mk-60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Slight change of subject here today: Last week found me in downtown Columbus, near the Statehouse in fact, pulling some paperwork from both the Ohio Police & Fire Pension Fund, and the Ohio Public Employees Deferred Compensation Fund office buildings. (Yes, I'm retiring outta the fire/EMS racket pretty soon, and wanted to make sure I was correct in my understanding of a couple items, by asking somebody in person.) Anyhow, there sure are a LOT of "No Guns" signs in that neighborhood, and not just on the government/quasi government buildings, such as those two I visited, either. It's "monkey see, monkey do" on Town Street, sheesh! If we had a lobbyist, he/she could keep busy between Statehouse visits by literally entering a BUNCH of nearby lobbies with "No Guns = No Money" cards.

********************************************************************************
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:Slight change of subject here today: Last week found me in downtown Columbus, near the Statehouse in fact, pulling some paperwork from both the Ohio Police & Fire Pension Fund, and the Ohio Public Employees Deferred Compensation Fund office buildings. (Yes, I'm retiring outta the fire/EMS racket pretty soon, and wanted to make sure I was correct in my understanding of a couple items, by asking somebody in person.) Anyhow, there sure are a LOT of "No Guns" signs in that neighborhood, and not just on the government/quasi government buildings, such as those two I visited, either. It's "monkey see, monkey do" on Town Street, sheesh! If we had a lobbyist, he/she could keep busy between Statehouse visits by literally entering a BUNCH of nearby lobbies with "No Guns = No Money" cards.
Now that you've grown up, what are you going to do?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I've got two ideas so far, the latest from a distant cousin who's found a simple, decent paying gig that is almost always hiring. Dang odd I'd run into him this morning, that may be a good sign.

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:I've got two ideas so far, the latest from a distant cousin who's found a simple, decent paying gig that is almost always hiring. Dang odd I'd run into him this morning, that may be a good sign.
Good luck.
-- Mike

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Retirement has given me time to address some around the house revamping projects that had been on the "Someday I should.." list. Got 'em all done now!

Another upside has been improving my situational awareness when out and about. While having lunch the other day, was watching a group of carnies set up rides and such. Thirty five plus years ago I worked for a temp agency that sometimes hired us out to the carnies as day labor. Back then the everyday carnies were so sketchy looking (and acting) that they were quite distinctive. Piercings, a bunch of skin art, and scars that could only come from a roughly led life on the streets and in jail.

Flash forward to 2017 Bellevue Kentucky, it's much harder to tell them from some of the local, uh, denizens. Heroin, to sum it up maybe a little too succinctly.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Today, something a little more on topic. This morning found me in a small upscale outdoors store in Hyde park, which is one of Cincinnati's nicest neighborhoods. The shop has some clothing items that are well built and happen to work well for concealment, if one feels like splurging a bit. I was talking with a clerk about belts and suspenders, reminding him of my preferences due to normally toting a medium or full size gun. A plainclothes Cincinnati Police investigator had come in and overheard/eavesdropped on the conversation. (I don't know or care which, that's what they do for a living.)

He came up, introduced himself, and said he'd have never known I was carrying a gun at all, much less a full sized one. He asked to see my belt gear. So I lifted up my untucked button down shirt and let him have a look. He shook his head and complimented how well concealed everything was. (A Glock model 22, two spare magazines, and a Surefire type flashlight.) He said his department's trainers often insisted that a sport or suit coat was necessary to cover up the gear. My reply was that was certainly the case with a duty belt and all the other stuff the uniformed guys typically carry, but not so much plainclothes and detective personnel, at least to my way of thinking. For the PD bosses it's probably about maintaining some kind of dress code minimum standards, and the trainers just pass that down. Anyhow, we talked a little more, with him sort of picking my brain a bit.

He concluded by saying that he thought of the store we were in only as a place to find fly fishing gear, since that was his thing away from work. But now he'd give consideration to some of the shirts, vests, etc. they sold as well.
This is the only time I can recall giving carry clothing advice to a police officer, or at least the first time one ever asked me.

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Glad you opened some eyes. Hopefully, he'll take that to receptive ears.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Here's a tip for you and whoever else still reads this thread Allen: Dickies brand work shirts are mostly made with square tailed hems in both long and short sleeve versions. Walmart, Meijer, and many work clothing shops stock them in a variety of of solid colors and patterns, on the cheap. They have enough "tail" to cover up even OWB rigs.
That outdoors store I was in today would never have them; their forte is expensive name brands that serve the same purpose, much more stylishly, at twice or more the cost. I don't own much of the latter.

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Another reason why I buy Dickie's shirts.
I normally OC. Or, at least, don't care if I flash.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:Here's a tip for you and whoever else still reads this thread Allen: Dickies brand work shirts are mostly made with square tailed hems in both long and short sleeve versions. Walmart, Meijer, and many work clothing shops stock them in a variety of of solid colors and patterns, on the cheap. They have enough "tail" to cover up even OWB rigs.
That outdoors store I was in today would never have them; their forte is expensive name brands that serve the same purpose, much more stylishly, at twice or more the cost. I don't own much of the latter.
I'm IWB!!! So I can wear -

Oh, wait, that's not how it works!!!!! :oops: :P
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio