Stark Co. fair posted......again.

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Stark Co. fair posted......again.

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Well , the Stark Co. fair is now posted again :roll:

Went with my family sat. morning for the local tractor pull and the NW entrance back by the grass lot, Raff rd. entrance, by the animal barns was posted. I checked two other entrances and there were no signs.
The person at the ticket booth asked if I was a cop, said no and he said I couldn't carry in the fair and i said yes I can and that the sign was not legal as it allowed no carry on the property.
I said we can carry on the grounds and certain other buildings like restrooms, grand stands but he argued with me on it, so I motioned for a cop to come over and he assured the ticket taker I was right.
I didn't get a good look at the sign all that closely, as I had my kids with me and they were in a hurry but as far as I know the sign is still up,(it was still there when I left). and the fairs last day is Monday.
I will be calling but it's Sunday, so.

Funny thing was a woman was apparently listening to all this and after the cop cleared things up, I heard her ask the cop ....."You mean people can carry guns in hear"? ......and the oficer was starting to explain things to her, I walked away. If my family wasn't with me I would have hung around with the officer to help explain things to her but They were in a hurry so....
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Brian D.

Re: Stark Co. fair posted......again.

Post by Brian D. »

A few fair boards seem to almost like breaking this part of the ORC. Hey, why not, none of them are going to be fined or locked up.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:A few fair boards seem to almost like breaking this part of the ORC. Hey, why not, none of them are going to be fined or locked up.
Yep, no teeth.
Darrel
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

Don't mean to hijack but Van Wert fair is posted as well. How does one go about letting the board members know?
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

DOA33 wrote:Don't mean to hijack but Van Wert fair is posted as well. How does one go about letting the board members know?
By calling them ....or "openly" carrying there today or tomorrow and pushing the issue like I did.

Looks like Monday is their last day of the fair.

Buy a ticket and walk right on past the sign, but stay out of the buildings except for those you are allowed to enter like restrooms....grandstands are ok too, just enter the grandstands from the outside somewhere, don't walk through a building to get to them.

If they push the issue, tell them you want to see a cop. They "should" now the law on this, but don't be surprised if they don't. If it's a deputy and they don't agree with you, then request the sheriff right then and there. If they want to make a stink of it, then you need to also.

But if you would rather call, well the boards probably not going to be in.....it's a holiday.

fair board office....(419)-238-9270

http://vanwertcountyfair.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, you should start a new discussion regarding this.
Last edited by 3FULLMAGS+1 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darrel
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Well at least it lasted three years (I think) this time. I usually get by there when the fair opens but I forgot to this year. :oops:

Interesting that it is only one of the entrances though - wonder if a ticket taker took it upon themselves. They used to (don't know if they still do) have signs posted *inside* of the ticket booths, I could see one of them deciding on their own there needed to be one *outside* of the booth as well...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I ran into two others I knew that were carrying (concealed) and they didn't see signs were they came in, but not sure where they entered.
Darrel
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

On the OFCC Facebook page, David Ragle reported that his wife was asked to stow her OC'd firearm in her vehicle by Stark Co. deputies. David says he engaged the deputies in some polite conversation, then his wife declined to take off said handgun. He hasn't elaborated past that point yet. I'd like to know how the conversation went. My hunch is some blissninny complained to the police about seeing a firearm, and rather than educating the whiner about what the law actually allows, they leaned on the lawful carrier to "play nice".
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

David Ragle (aka our very own JustaShooter) posted about the encounter here in the forums at http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to direct commentary about his encounter to that thread.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BTW, you may have gathered that Mrs. JustaShooter and I attended the fair - and we did not see any signs posted at all. Not even the ones we saw last year at the entrances to the building under the grandstand.

We entered at the main entrance off 4th Street and Wertz and there were no signs in evidence. Before entering, we drove past a few other entrances and didn't see any signs, but didn't hit the Raff Rd. entrance - I'm not that familiar with the area and it appeared Raff ended at the entrance to a local park, and I didn't drive into the park in search of an entrance to the fairgrounds so I don't know if that one was still up.
NRA Life Member

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:BTW, you may have gathered that Mrs. JustaShooter and I attended the fair - and we did not see any signs posted at all. Not even the ones we saw last year at the entrances to the building under the grandstand.

We entered at the main entrance off 4th Street and Wertz and there were no signs in evidence. Before entering, we drove past a few other entrances and didn't see any signs, but didn't hit the Raff Rd. entrance - I'm not that familiar with the area and it appeared Raff ended at the entrance to a local park, and I didn't drive into the park in search of an entrance to the fairgrounds so I don't know if that one was still up.
Raff ends at a park , (grass area that people park at for the fair), and there are a couple of ticket booths and the very NW corner one was posted but the next ticket booth was not , (both at the animal barns north end of fairgrounds)
Darrel
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:BTW, you may have gathered that Mrs. JustaShooter and I attended the fair - and we did not see any signs posted at all. Not even the ones we saw last year at the entrances to the building under the grandstand.

Raff ends at a park , (grass area that people park at for the fair), and there are a couple of ticket booths and the very NW corner one was posted but the next ticket booth was not , (both at the animal barns north end of fairgrounds)
Gotcha - after OFCC contacted them about taking the signs down a few years back and I checked the entrances to be sure they did what they said and took all of the signs down, I didn't even know about that entrance so never checked it. I'll see about getting over there and take a look around, it could be a leftover.
NRA Life Member

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:
Gotcha - after OFCC contacted them about taking the signs down a few years back and I checked the entrances to be sure they did what they said and took all of the signs down, I didn't even know about that entrance so never checked it. I'll see about getting over there and take a look around, it could be a leftover.
Nope, I I don't think it's a "leftover". It's on a clean looking "sheet of paper" and was stapled to an outside door.
It looked brand new and not weathered at all. I didn't get a chance to read it as my family was in a hurry to go.
Darrel
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Nope, I I don't think it's a "leftover". It's on a clean looking "sheet of paper" and was stapled to an outside door.
It looked brand new and not weathered at all. I didn't get a chance to read it as my family was in a hurry to go.
That sounds like the type of sign they used to have on the insides of the ticket booths, further reinforcing my first thought that one of the workers took it upon themselves to post one on the outside. Either way, I'll try to get over there.
NRA Life Member

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Well, this sure hasn't been my year as far as checking the the Stark County Fair entrances for no guns signs. I took my trusty camera for a trip around the fairgrounds while Mrs. JustaShooter delivered meals to the homeless - erm, I mean took dinner to my younger son who moved out some time ago...

In any case, I found that my drive-by examination of several of the entrances was inadequate as far as a few of them went. Besides not even knowing about the Raff Rd walk-in gate (really, an entrance from the park off Raff Rd.), 2nd walk-in gate between that entrance and 7th, and the walk-in gate near 7th street, I missed "no weapons" signs at a couple of the entrances I knew about. :oops:

My survey showed "no weapons" signs at Roslyn & 4th St. as well as Raff Rd., but not at the 2nd walk-in gate half way between that entrance and 7th (which showed all other signage the Raff entrance did).
The ticket booth at 7th was buttoned up and stripped of all signage, so I can't say what signage was there when open to fair traffic.
Nothing at the main entrance at Wertz & 4th, but there were signs at the walk-in gate at 3rd and Fawcett.

They were small (1/2 of a sheet of copy paper) black & white signs on the same sheet as the no smoking signs. I'm not sure that they meet the requirements for posting government facilities, but are invalid regardless. Here's the one at the park entrance off Raff Rd, the others were the same sign and similarly located:

I don't know if they customarily remove these from the ticket booths after the fair is completely closed down (they are still in cleanup mode), so I do not know if it is worth contacting them at this point or not.
NRA Life Member