best county to register for ccw

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bmstylee

best county to register for ccw

Post by bmstylee »

i have completed my required class and range time so now i am going to make an appointment to submit paperwork for my permit. i live in cuyahoga county and i know you can go to your county or one adjacent to you. i have heard nothing but horror stories about cuyahoga county. my brother says lake county is good however i really don't want to drive to painsville. that is [deleted--m380g] near an hour for me. what are your experiences and where do you recommend going to?

thanks
bill
AlanM

Re: best county to register for ccw

Post by AlanM »

The latest reports about Cuyahoga County haven't been that bad.
The office, I have been given to understand, is now in the Parma area and, I think, they mail your license to you.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (It certainly won't be the first time.)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
steel

Post by steel »

Cuyahoga is really good right now...i submited my renewal apt...on march 31st...it was issued on april 1st...1 day turnaround is good in my eyes
and yes they do mail it to you....it's in the title bureau at snow and chevy blvd....hope this helps
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ That's what I've heard, too, that Cuyahoga now has the turn-around time to less than a week of processing: the delay, if it can be called that, really is in the mail system.

But honestly, if you're one of those people who prefer the convenience of having the license mailed to you, then it's really no biggie. :)

Otherwise, if you prefer a face-to-face at the pickup, either Lake or Geauga should also be one-week or less of processing time.

Painsville should take you close to Atwell's - and Geauga will likely have you passing Top Gun Supply in Chesterland. Both good reasons to drive, on my list. :D
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

TSiWRX wrote:
Otherwise, if you prefer a face-to-face at the pickup, either Lake or Geauga should also be one-week or less of processing time.
A friend dropped off application at Lake County on Friday afternoon and picked up Tuesday around 10:00am.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
bmstylee

Post by bmstylee »

thanks much for the help. its not something i need at this second. and at the price of gas i prefer not to drive to far. parma is a short drive(maybe 15 minutes). and i could care less about face to face. just need to set a time. geauga county would work since i work in mayfield heights.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

When I got mine in 2008, I dropped off my app. at Geauga County on Tuesday and picked it up on Saturday. It was actually issued on Wednesday, but the only days they had hours were Tuesday and Saturday.

Good luck.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
45Automatic

Post by 45Automatic »

I got my original in Cuyahoga, and 4 years later my renewal as well. I didnt wait long at all. My wife got hers in 6 days. I would like to point out the office was still located at the justice center at the time.
“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

pirateguy191 wrote:When I got mine in 2008, I dropped off my app. at Geauga County on Tuesday and picked it up on Saturday. It was actually issued on Wednesday, but the only days they had hours were Tuesday and Saturday.

Good luck.
^ Geauga is now operating Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, for CCW/CHL applications and pick-up. :)

Hours are listed on their website - IIRC, Tuesdays it was 8AM to 4PM, Thursdays 3PM to 8PM, and Saturdays 8AM to 3PM. They also listed their holidays, again IIRC. No appointments needed, it's a walk-in.
bmstylee

Post by bmstylee »

thanks guys. picked mine up last week. geauga county was great. quick application process and you can pick up any day of the week. good deal.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Congrats! :)

Pick up any day!? Dangit, I wish I knew that!!! :oops:

I like the drive out there - it reminds me of when (and takes me right next to where) my daughter was born.
Sigma9

Post by Sigma9 »

Hey guys, I dropped off my application packet in Cuyahoga County on Tuesday May 31st, they said they would run the background check, and mail me my application. I heard that this is where the wait is, waiting for them to get around to mailing you the permit. I wish Cuyahoga County would give you the option of either picking in up from them, or having it mailed to you.
When seconds count....police are just a couple minutes away
NRA Member
Sigma9

Post by Sigma9 »

Submitted app on 5/31, was issued 6/2, and I got it in the mail today 6/11.....not bad
When seconds count....police are just a couple minutes away
NRA Member
yankee86

Post by yankee86 »

Stop at Geauga County Sheriff on Thursday ( 04/21/16 ) to drop off application and today - 04/27/16 got my license by mail. Service is awesome. Nice hours.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Since this thread was successfully reanimated :wink: :lol: , I'll add my recent experience (March, 2016) renewing at Geauga....

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... t#p4351395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ Per Ole_grizzly's post dated May, 2015, indeed, Geauga currently does not require a passport-sized photo for RENEWALS OF LICENSES ORIGINATING in Geauga as long as you are less than 1 year past renewal date at time of renewal.

Back in mid March of this year, I also made the following post:
TSiWRX wrote:...I thought I'd let any potential Geauga applicants - renewal or new - know:

Get to the station as early as you can, particularly on Saturdays. I originally drove in last Saturday, arriving at 8:30 AM (I ran a half-hour late because I took the little one with me), the wait was then already 2+ hours. There's no TV, no free WiFi, but there's plenty of reading material for kids, a public restroom, and both a water fountain and vending machine. Not an entirely uncomfortable place to wait it out.

My daughter was actually looking forward to waiting (she loves to read, and seeing "The Little Free Library" just made her morning), but I had a back-end of 11 AM, so I chose not to stay. Before leaving, I asked the Deputy about what the wait is like during the week. She reported that it's been very, very hectic since October, and that even for weekdays, her advice was to arrive as early as possible. I again made the drive this past Tuesday - with her advice in-mind - and at 7:30 AM was the first applicant, with the next two applicants trailing me by barely 5 minutes, each. The Deputy started about 20 minutes early, and by the time I exited, there was yet another applicant out in the waiting room.

They're still as efficient, professional, and friendly as I remember them from 5 years ago, but they're popular!
I applied for renewal on March 15, and chose to have the license mailed to my home address. I had the license in-hand with my daily mail delivery on the following Tuesday, 3/22.

According to the deputy, the complexity of your background check can potentially cause a longer processing time.

Was it crowded when you went, yankee86?