Status of Hara Arena sense changes to Class D

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

robertm1771

Status of Hara Arena sense changes to Class D

Post by robertm1771 »

As per the web site it says"
Concealed Weapons
Hara is an establishment with a "D" Liquor Permit issued by the State of Ohio. Weapons, concealed or not, are not permitted inside the Hara premises covered by our "D" Liquor Permit except by duly authorized Law Enforcement personnel or by duly authorized Security Personnel employed by Hara or its agents. You could be charged with a felony violation if you carry a firearm into a place of business licensed by the State of Ohio with a "D" Liquor Permit."

Sense these laws have changed does anyone know if the arena is still CPZ or still just have the class D permit signs?

Thanks

Robert
SMMAssociates

Re: Status of Hara Arena sense changes to Class D

Post by SMMAssociates »

Robert:

Hara's can post the places where alcohol is served, or the entire facility if desired. However, the old "Class D" prohibition is no longer in force for licensees. It still appears to be in force for the unlicensed.... No sign (the State Liquor sign doesn't count), no restriction.

But Licensees still can't consume alcohol in those areas and still carry...

Violating a posted Class D by a licensee is now just a misdemeanor if you're not consuming alcohol (in which case it becomes a felony). Not that I'm advocating ignoring the signs, but at least they won't toss you into the greybar. Unless you're drinking and carrying....

The old State Liquor sign ("You may be committing a Felony" or something like that) does not show the new status of licensees. There is a new sign that does, but apparently posting these signs is optional anyway, so it's hard to say what you'll see.

The actual amount of alcohol consumed is not specified. A BAC of 0.08 (I think I got that right :) ) is used for the lower limit when dealing with operating a motor vehicle, and may possibly be a good place to hang your hat here, but the assumption that NO alcohol is also potentially valid.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The Goodman gun show is held there monthly in various parts of the facility. The "No guns" signs are turned around backwards and sometimes covered. Loaded firearms are prohibited per show policy, because the event must have that rule to get coverage from their insurance provider.

Make of that whatever you will.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

robertm1771 wrote:...

Sense these laws have changed does anyone know if the arena is still CPZ or still just have the class D permit signs? ...
It is still a CPZ, except during gun shows.
MyWifeSaidYes
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
robertm1771 wrote:...

Sense these laws have changed does anyone know if the arena is still CPZ or still just have the class D permit signs? ...
It is still a CPZ, except during gun shows.
You will find the same situation at gun shows held in Fairground buildings! 8)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

I think the OP may be asking, that since the entire premise of restriction is spelled out as being an infraction due to the class D permit, is the posting still valid now that this law in obsolete to concealed, non drinking carriers?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

I had a similar incident this past weekend in Callahan in arena district in columbus.

On Sundays they have patio rooftop open. I decided to carry and of course no drinking alcohol because that would be felony. As I get to the entrance the bouncer decides to Pat me down and notices my ccw. He tells me to leave it in car.. so I comply even tho there were no signs on rooftop side entrance saying no fire arms allowed.

He then goes on to say, you can't bring your ccw in any bars in this area and police could charge you. Again I nodded and came back unarmed and decided to join my friends at the rooftop. I didn't wanna argue or correct him on the law.

Does anyone know if simply carrying a firearm in a bar or club that is not posted would get me in trouble with the law?

I went back and read ohio ccw pdf and it says..
Licensed Class D liquor permit premises, if you are consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or are under the influence. If you are not consuming, and not under the influence, you may carry unless there is a conspicuous sign prohibiting carry.
Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail
store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as the concealed
carry license holder is not consuming liquor. Class D
permits are generally issued to an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. In any event, do not consume beer or intoxicating liquor before carrying aconcealed handgun into a licensed premises or while on the premises.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Ray81 wrote:Does anyone know if simply carrying a firearm in a bar or club that is not posted would get me in trouble with the law?
The answer is no, but if you are told by someone at the business you can't carry, then that is good enough for a trespass charge to stick.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Ah back to the bar bouncing days.

In my experience bouncers tend to like simple rules. They also tend to get lied to a lot. Even if he knows the finer points of the law, which I'm guessing he doesn't, in his mind the odds are pretty good that you'll be drinking before the night is over. Because hey, that's why people go to bars. He doesn't want to have to keep close tabs on every Tom Dick and Harry that comes in packing with a CHL saying "I'm just drinking pop." In his mind if a felony goes down in his establishment it's going to be on him for allowing it to happen.

Bouncers and bar owners also love consistency. They want to be able to say they've been checking everybody all night. If said to an officer on foot patrol it just might discourage him from going in and bothering the patrons. It also cuts off complaints from various protected classes that they were singled out for extra special scrutiny at the door.
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

I know the last post is over a month old now...

But... just in case some of you haven't seen the news.... Hara Arena will be closing it doors for good come August 27th. The current owners are shutting it down.

No more Bill Goodman's Gun and Knife Shows at least at this venue.

So if you didn't go to the last one, which was just this last weekend, you won't be going to anymore, at least at Hara's....
mreising

Post by mreising »

Lthrnck wrote:I know the last post is over a month old now...

But... just in case some of you haven't seen the news.... Hara Arena will be closing it doors for good come August 27th. The current owners are shutting it down.

So if you didn't go to the last one, which was just this last weekend, you won't be going to anymore, at least at Hara's....
Yes there is another post on the forum about just that subject. Still wondering if Brian D got any souvenirs.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

mreising wrote:
Lthrnck wrote:I know the last post is over a month old now...

Yes there is another post on the forum about just that subject. Still wondering if Brian D got any souvenirs.
Yeah, some ceiling tiles, kept them after they fell on my head. :mrgreen:

********************************************************************************
mreising

Post by mreising »

Brian D. wrote: Yeah, some ceiling tiles, kept them after they fell on my head. :mrgreen:
Hope you had your PPE on.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

When entering Hara for the last time the other day, I stole and loudly spoke a line used by both Bette Davis and Elizabeth Taylor, in two different movies: "What a dump!" (It's really funny, if you've ever seen either film. The security guard obviously hadn't, he gave me a dog-with-head-sideways look.