OSHP Public Records reply

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: OSHP Public Records reply

Post by Brian D. »

cashman966 wrote:In your opinion how many officers does it take to insure the safety of the coaches and players as well as the 100,000 plus people in the stands? Just exactly how much do you feel is being wasted?
The answer to your first question would be...the question is faulty. No amount of police presence could "insure" the safety of the crowd. As long as someone is willing to perish in the attempt, we know that a criminal/deranged person or persons could create great mayhem in any such place where thousands gather. So I'll say "Less than what they're using now, especially the ones that seem to be there just for the team".
My answer to the second question is..."A lot". In all honesty I'd hate to see any of those OSHP folk freed up from the stadium detail to go patrol and write tickets. So my solution would be to lay them off. That would save some bucks.

I see this law enforcement overlap at other big events too, it's all part of "security kabuki theater" put in place in the years following 9/11. The yearly fireworks show held along the Ohio River down here on Labor day weekend comes quickly to mind: Less in person attendance the last few years (now it's not telecast, they did that hoping to get the swarms back down to the shores) but we have LE representation at ALL levels including military: U.S. Coast Guard, they had more boats than ever before and stuck M60's on the bow turrets; then LE of all levels from federal to both states to at least three counties, and whatever all municipal departments on both sides of the river felt like chiming in. For all that there were still some people violently beaten and robbed at evening's end.

And back to sporting events: You should have seen the fooferaw leading up to and during the major league baseball All Star Game! All the performing acts I listed above, plus special appearances by DHS bomb techs and their four legged sniffers, and vehicles set up to detect radioactivity. (As opposed to the FCC, who had people here heavily monitoring radio activity. :lol: Secret Service had just a little less presence than if the POTUS was going to show up...which he didn't, and had no plans to.

Wow I feel like I'm reading off the cast at the beginning of a Hee Haw episode.

I just wish my fearless leaders in the Fire/EMS racket at local and state levels had managed to do a better job dealing ourselves into these shows post 9/11, maybe I wouldn't be so GREEN with envy..from missing out on all that GREEN overtime money.

No, honestly, I have no such regrets, the taxpayer side of me doesn't like all this spending, even if a little of it gets thrown my way.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Although this has been an enlightening and interesting discussion, I am not sure how we went from Techguy85's traffic stop and records request.

This may be the biggest thread diversion yet.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mustang380gal wrote:Although this has been an enlightening and interesting discussion, I am not sure how we went from Techguy85's traffic stop and records request.

This may be the biggest thread diversion yet.
I'll take the blame..put OSHP in the title, suddenly, due to their history of opposing firearms carry amongst "our kind", a bur they put under my saddle long ago starts chapping my...uh, hide, again.

In my defense, apparently there are others here similarly chafed. So, I'm not ashamed of the drift.

Let's drag this back to what techguy85 started the thread with if there's more left to discuss.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

TJW815 wrote:Just gonna leave this here:

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011 ... epartment/
The over $35 million in profits from football doesn’t go far when you run an athletic department the size and quality of Ohio State University’s. In fact, it costs over $126 million to run Ohio State’s athletic department.
Comparing football income to outlays for the entire athletic department is silly. Look at the whole balance sheet, and you'll see that athletics is self-supporting, even after $5.2m in overhead, $15.7m in scholarships, $1.7m in direct funding to the university's operating account, approximately $4.3m in grants to student support services, and $1m to the library. I think the state patrol costs are included in the "Specials" line item, which reflects a $10m expenditure each year. None of the funds for athletics-related events come from the university's operating account. To suggest that there would be more money available if the state police weren't hired for the games is like saying GM could make more money by not using any steel. You can't build a car without steel, and you can't host a mass-event without security. It's a part of the event.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

SeanC wrote:
TJW815 wrote:Just gonna leave this here:

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011 ... epartment/
The over $35 million in profits from football doesn’t go far when you run an athletic department the size and quality of Ohio State University’s. In fact, it costs over $126 million to run Ohio State’s athletic department.
Comparing football income to outlays for the entire athletic department is silly. Look at the whole balance sheet, and you'll see that athletics is self-supporting, even after $5.2m in overhead, $15.7m in scholarships, $1.7m in direct funding to the university's operating account, approximately $4.3m in grants to student support services, and $1m to the library. I think the state patrol costs are included in the "Specials" line item, which reflects a $10m expenditure each year. None of the funds for athletics-related events come from the university's operating account. To suggest that there would be more money available if the state police weren't hired for the games is like saying GM could make more money by not using any steel. You can't build a car without steel, and you can't host a mass-event without security. It's a part of the event.
I didn't want to post to much and stop people from reading through it. I did however come to the same conclusion sir.

And just to pick a nit, you can build a car without steel. Usually cost prohibitive for 99% of us but they are made.